• Register Today It's free!

dana 30 sas.

Palmer7

Reaction score
City, State
Beaverton/Portland, OR
Year, Model & Trim Level
EXPLORER YEAH!!!
Wanting to do a jeep Dana 30 sas because I can easily get one over a 44. There is two available fully built hp Dana 30 with 3.54 gears or lp Dana 30 with 3.55 gears. Which one would be better to go with?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The D30 is way too weak. The D44 isn't stronger than the D35, only better bearing placement. Stick with what you have until you save enough for something stronger. If you spend the $$ and time to swap in the D30, you will be very disappointed.
The D30 is too weak for the jeep it came out of, and the jeep weighs more than 1000 pounds less than the Ex.

The only thing stronger is a d60 and I don't know anything about them or what to get one out of. I'm just looking for an easy swap solid axle. And this d30 is like $150.

I used a Dana 30 for my SAS and it works but I've already broke 3 drivers side axles. I carry a spare, complete with hub, with me whenever I wheel. It takes me about 15 minutes to swap one.

P1010591.jpg

SAS to a Jeep D30 would be a step backward in strength. Seriously- stick with the D35; it will hold up plenty well enough for what you're doing.

The axle itself may be $150, but you'll be $2k in on a SAS before you know it.

If you insist on doing the D30, the high pinion axles are an estimated 30% stronger than the low pinion axles.

...and to clarify, the D30 is NOT way too weak for the Wranglers and Cherokees, as I know people who wheel with them locked on 35s all day long with no issues... and there is not a 1k# difference between a Wrangler and an Explorer. Those things are heavy as all get-out.

i looked it up and your right. fully loaded the 2012 weighs 700 pounds more! I stand corrected.

Why would anyone want one of those pigs?

i looked it up and your right. fully loaded the 2012 weighs 700 pounds more! I stand corrected.

Why would anyone want one of those pigs?
Because stock for stock it'll tear the ass out of a Fox Mustang.
I would know... but I was on 35s with half a ton of armor. :D
In all fairness, the 5.0 sounded pretty ragged out.

Really, though, I was referring to the older TJs. They're ~3500 pounds in stock form. Usually add about 1,000 pounds for armor, upgrades, and tires. Can't imagine Explorers are 4,500... when Crown Victoria station wagons with 5.0s and AODs are only 4,100.

But yes, the JKUs are heavy as balls. Still, all armored up and lifted on 35s, I can drive three hours (200 miles) to our "local" off-road park, wheel all weekend, and make it within 30 miles of driving back before I need to get gas again... on a 22-gal tank. That's no exaggeration, I've done it every time. Next time I want to see if I can get all the way home without stopping for gas. :nono:

Because stock for stock it'll tear the ass out of a Fox Mustang.
I would know... but I was on 35s with half a ton of armor. :D
In all fairness, the 5.0 sounded pretty ragged out.

Really, though, I was referring to the older TJs. They're ~3500 pounds in stock form. Usually add about 1,000 pounds for armor, upgrades, and tires. Can't imagine Explorers are 4,500... when Crown Victoria station wagons with 5.0s and AODs are only 4,100.

But yes, the JKUs are heavy as balls. Still, all armored up and lifted on 35s, I can drive three hours (200 miles) to our "local" off-road park, wheel all weekend, and make it within 30 miles of driving back before I need to get gas again... on a 22-gal tank. That's no exaggeration, I've done it every time. Next time I want to see if I can get all the way home without stopping for gas. :nono:
mine weighs 4601 with me in it and my old 33x12.50:eek:

A 4-door 1st or 2nd-gen Ex is about ~4200 lbs. They ain't that light.

As for JKs, the JK D30 did receive a pinion upgrade over the TJ/XJ & earlier D30, so that does help some (the R&P gears was a significant weak spot on D30s, especially LP ones). JK axles are as wide as fullsize truck axles though.

Back