Bumper and air dam replacement on a ’99 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Bumper and air dam replacement on a ’99

aldive

Elite In Memoriam
Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 XLT
Due to my unforeseen get-together with a porcine pest ( http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=143230&highlight=pig ), I had to replace the front bumper, one fog light housing/bulb and the air dam on my ’99.

Prior to removing the damaged bumper, I prepped the new air dam (ZD5704 $279.95 ( ouch! ) Explorer Express [ http://www.explorerexpress.com/ ] ) by reinforcing the back side with a number of additional layers of fiberglass cloth and resin. This was followed by sanding the imperfections on the top edge and ends. The “out of the box” finish on EE’s new air dams is vastly superior to that of the first one I purchased almost 5 years ago.

Then a short drive to the alignment facility ( Superior Auto Center, Sarasota, FL ) resulted in the extraction $69.95 from my Visa. The alignment was severally FUBARed when first put on the computer alignment rack but promptly restored to the appropriate specifications.

I got a “new” ( used ) bumper from Chris Glass ( CG [ http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/member.php?u=28170 ] ). I can’t say enough about Chris; he sent me numerous photographs of the bumper and fog lights. He shipped the goodies to me, provided tracking information and didn’t want to be paid until I received the parts. What a splendid guy.

The bumper ( and fog lights ) arrived in pristine condition; I actually thought I had received a brand spanking new bumper. To prepare to mount, all I needed to do was remove 4 steel brackets/adapters that Chris had on the bumper; I assume they were for use on a lifted truck. They were attached to the 4 mounting studs with standard bumper nuts.

The next step was to prep the chrome corner sections for painting and since I prefer the sanding method to heating [ http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=126428&highlight=chrome ] ) the get the chrome off., I sanded away.

A quick trip to the local Advanced Auto Parts store and $19.98 got me a new Silver Star H1 bulb. The new bulb was installed into the passenger side fog light housing.
After that, I had to install the fog light housings on the bumper assembly, This was simplified by removing the bottom screw that secures the once chrome corner section; the fog light housing was then finagled into place and the 3 screws on the top are tightened and the one screw at the bottom “arm” that attaches to the bottom of the once chrome corner section.

The new air dam was test fit and then securely clamped to the bumper cover at the corners while I then drilled 3/32“ holes through the air dam lip and the bumper cover. And then secured the air dam with 14 10-32 x 3/4“stainless steel bolts ( I raided my boat supply cabinet ) and stainless steel lock nuts with stainless steel flat washers on each side. EE ( Dave Vanek via E Mail ) says to just attach the air dam with the bolts on the corner trim; he has got to be kidding. For a secure fit, bolts need to be attached all across the entire air dam. Further the air dam does not provide any mounting holes. For the price of this “hunk of ‘glass”, one would think the finish would be faultless, attaching hardware would be provided, and instructions would be included. I could unearth no other source for the air dam; therefore, I had to deal with the inadequacies and expense.

After the air dam was bolted to the bumper cover, I masked off the bumper cover from the once chrome corner sections, the fog light lenses and the air dam and then degreased, primed and shot them with 3 coats of flat black paint.

Since this bumper was from Chris’ California truck, it had the plate for mounting a front license tag and not needed here in Florida, thus I removed it by “popping out” the push pins ( 2 ) that hold it to the bumper cover.

I drove the truck up on ramps in my garage to facilitate access to the bumper mounting hardware. To remove the bumper, 4 x 18mm nuts had to be removed; God bless air tools. The fog light electrical connectors also had to be disconnected. Finally, the bumper was removed and set on my workbench.

While the bumper was off and access was excellent, I changed the auxiliary ATF filter ( Amsoil SDF 15 [ . https://www.amsoil.com/storefront/sdf.aspx ] ). This was followed by installing the “new” bumper on the truck and tightening the 4 retaining nuts. The fog light electrical connectors were then attached. The install, without dinging the air dam, is quite awkward by one’s self.

A visual inspection showed that all was fighting fit. The fog lights functioned perfectly. A 303 Aerospace Protectant ( http://www.303products.com/main.php?infopage=protectant ) treatment brought the bumper cover to a luster.

This little piggy party cost me about $535.00 and I still didn’t get to eat the ribs. Without a doubt this was the most expensive Bar B Q that I never ate.

Hoorah ……… all indicators of my close encounter of the porcine kind are nowhere to be found.

Attachments

• fog damage.jpg
    fog damage.jpg
    62.1 KB · Views: 848
  • 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    58.5 KB · Views: 846

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

looks nice, got any zoomed out pics so I can see the whole front end?

I like the all flat black.

Kinda stealth like ya know ? :thumbsup:

I love the way the air dams look on these trucks.

Aldive, how much is your truck lowered?

Afboy143 said:
I love the way the air dams look on these trucks.

Aldive, how much is your truck lowered?

Lowered? Not one millimeter. Its stock height.

Afboy143 said:
looks nice, got any zoomed out pics so I can see the whole front end?

As promised ....

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    57.8 KB · Views: 800
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    56 KB · Views: 819
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    52.5 KB · Views: 845

i find it amusing that some add larger airdams while the rest of us pull off the stock ones for ground clearence...
still it looks pretty good, stupid pigs...

Looks good Al! Thanks for the kind words... I'm glad the bumper worked out for you & is happy living in FL.

Those brackets were for the 3" body lift, if you still have them, you could offer them to someone on the board that's doing a 2nd. gen body lift. I don't think the kits come with those...

You can use the two holes in the front for mounting a little sign that says "Here piggy, piggy" :D

Chris

CG said:
Those brackets were for the 3" body lift, if you still have them, you could offer them to someone on the board that's doing a 2nd. gen body lift. I don't think the kits come with those...

Chris

Yes, I have them.

Anybody want them? Just pay shipping and they are yours.

I might be interested, have been looking into doing the body lift sometime soon.

Aldive, that looks damn good. I think I know what I am going to ask Santa for Xmas this year!

If your MPG claims on your other post are true about this dam, I most certanly might have to get one. How does it help handling on high speeds? Any difference? My truck gets scary on speeds over 70 sometimes...

I love the way it looks Al.
Beautyful.

Now to make a flat black Ford emblem !!!!

The black looks so much better then the chrome pieces that come on the bumper. I hate that chrome crap on mine. The black is killer!

you can take a heat gun to the back of the emblem, take the plastic ford symbol out of the chrome housing, sand the back of the plastic to get rid of the blue, paint or lay a peice of black viynal in then glue back together and bam.

I have an interesting decal that has an inappropriate four-letter word that looks like a ford emblem on the front of my Explorer, might be another option.

[QUOTE='92Bauer]I have an interesting decal that has an inappropriate four-letter work that looks like a ford emblem on the front of my Explorer, might be another option.[/QUOTE]

Not a chance, but thanks anyway.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

where can i buy one of these?

Back