• Register Today It's free!

Power fold buttons

jspeer

Reaction score
City, State
Louisville, KY
Year, Model & Trim Level
2012 Limited Explorer
Has anyone seen or heard of an aftermarket protector for the powerfold buttons in the cargo area? I am very interested in purchasing one.

Has anyone else accidentally hit the buttons while back there? We've had the ex for 4 weeks and I think we have accidentally started folding the seats 7 times. Surprised they are not backlit also. A little hard to see in the dark but a flip up clear protector similar to the power ports would have been ideal for our clutzy selves.

Nothing major just a suggestion. I hate to brag because I'm a little superstitious but the car has been perfect. Couple MFT issues but outside that can't complain about one thing on the car. Except that the powerfold buttons can be hit accidentally quite easily.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have made a cover for those 3rd Row Buttons for other Explorer owners. I've got one on my Ex, and haven't had a accidental folding problem since. They are simple to install and very effective.

Ken

FYI: 05-30-2012 .... I originally made a dozen or more of those 3rd row seat switch covers back in December 2011, which I sold to other Explorer owners. The demand wasn't good enough to make any more. They were very time consuming to make out of wood, so for now anyway, I don't have any to offer.

Thanks Ken. You read my mind.. Was laying in bed thinking I could just make a cover but I am not mechanical at all. Jumped on here and saw your offer...will be sending an email..Would love to see what you designed.
Thanks for the offer

I haven't had a problem with that yet but I'm curious to see what you came up with. I'll send you an email. Rob

Here are the pics I took.

20111113_114214.jpg

20111113_114227.jpg

I wonder if Ford has addressed this issue in the 2013 model.

I wonder if Ford has addressed this issue in the 2013 model.

I test drove a 2013 and I don't recall having to do anything other than tap the button to make it move. I never tried to stop it mid-way or reverse it.

Are these covers still available? I have a 2013 on order

The 2013 has the buttons recessed so they have a protective lip around it. Unless you have something pointy, a large flat object should be more difficult to hit accidentally.

blwnsmoke is right. Funny thing is, I didn't even notice the design change, even after all the ruckus of accidental activations...at least I noticed they are lit up now :)

I had my service writer order me the improved switch housing. It's just a matter of moving the switches over to the new part and snapping it back in.

Anyone has a picture of the new part ??

I'll post a pic for ya when I get the chance :)

I had my service writer order me the improved switch housing. It's just a matter of moving the switches over to the new part and snapping it back in.

How much was it?

I'll post a pic for ya when I get the chance :)

Do you know if it will light up? I cant imagine they ran an extra wire just for that. Im thinking it is different within the switch itself.

Here it is:

DSC_1284.jpg

blwnsmoke, my guess is that it won't light up. I think that is in the switch itself, especially since they are back-lit.

Here it is:

DSC_1284.jpg

blwnsmoke, my guess is that it won't light up. I think that is in the switch itself, especially since they are back-lit.

Can the 2013 switch module (housing and back lit buttons) be installed in a 2012?

Having them recessed and lit up would be a much needed improvement although i still think they are still very likely to get accidentally hit.

Couldnt Ford just make a modification so that the button has to be pressed two or three times consecutively in order for the operation to start.?

Hey Boss377

Any idea how much the new switch housing costs? Has to be better than the existing part. Thanks

Wow thats a very subtle change....I just checked mine and the ends of the switch protective lip are flush with the switches but the top and bottom are not. Im guessing this new design is actually higher then the switches.

I asked the Explorer Platform Electrical Engineer about swapping out my 11MY switch pack for the 13MY and he said they ran a separate power wire for the switches.

So I suggested taking power off the cig lighter right next to it.

Can anyone with a 13MY take a picture of the newer switch pack pulled out exposing the wires so we can confirm.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Subtle is right. I have already hit the powerfold button in my 2013 twice - and that's despite knowing it was an issue in previous models.

It's a relatively minor annoyance but I was a little disappointed to see that it was still going to be an issue.

Back