• Register Today It's free!

2wd conversion to 4x4

Texasryan

Reaction score
City, State
Fort Worth, Texas
Year, Model & Trim Level
1991 Ford explorer Sport
So my friend has finally convinced me to do a 4x4 swap so i go trailing with them, but i have NO idea where to start or what to do to get a complete 4x4 swap.
I have a stock tranny, and it's a 5 speed manual transmission. I wanna do the 4x4 so i can have some real fun in my truck. But i don't know if i should just trade Bessy(My Xplorer) in and get a 4x4 explorer, or do a swap from 2 wheel drive to 4x4.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

dont you already have a thread going about this, or am i remembering a different thread? anyway, the conversion will be very costly. if you are only looking for stock height it isnt worth the investment imho. if you are looking for a ton of lift and a solid axle up front a 2wd might be easier to start with as there wont be as much to remove suspension wise.

sorry, it was another users thread i was thinking of. The biggest question is weather or not the sentimental value of your explorer justifies the amount of work required, you will need to swap the transmission, add a transfer case, and replace the entire front suspension. you may need a new trans crossmember. you will need 2 driveshafts. the gear ratio of the front differential you buy has to match the ratio of your current rear diff. there are other parts you will need as well, and even with buying most parts used you are probably going to have to invest $2000 upfront. if you have the cash to spend and want the experience and pride of workmanship, the work isnt too hard if you have a helper

I would just find a cheap broken 4x4 to swap your good motor into or something along those lines, the 4x4 swap can get expensive even if you use junkyard parts they could fail if not checked , not to mention you have to swap trans, plus add all the front end into play , but more power to ya brother if you just want to do just to do it haha , good luck with the decision !!

Well rickybobby beat me to most of it haha

I will also add that with a locker i was able to go places i never thought a stock 2wd explorer could ever go after i broke an axle on the trail

If you are going to do a suspension lift anyway, then swaping the traction beams at the same time wont be much extra work

in 91 there were 2 push buttons in the dash, to the right of the cluster iirc. the locker will run right around $300 plus fluids and seals (i highly suggest axle seals and bearings at the same time) you may want to PM Gmanpaint, after i bought mine he mentioned knowing a place to find Aussie branded lockers for closer to $200, but i didnt ask where as i had already installed mine

I would get a donor vehicle and either rob all the 4x4 parts off of it or just get a 4x4- unless there is some reason (it was your favorite dead Aunt Cathy's or something) It will be quite a bit of work. Lockers isn't the only thing you will need if you are going to bigger tires you will also need to change gears. This project is starting to get big and pricey for a noob. Moneywise starting with a 4x4 with 4:10 gears would be your smartest choice. Then go from there. Stay away from a body lift and get a suspension lift first.

Yeah, keep checking craigslist for a 4x4 with a blown motor or trans. I see them here for as little as $500 sometimes. When you get your donor you can decide then to either pull the parts and install on your truck, or to pull your motor and put it in the donor.
You don't have to swap the trans, but you will have to at least replace the tail housing and the tail shaft with one from a 4x4. Keep the 5 speed though, the autos fail easily.

Unless you have some insane sentimental value in your current Explorer, just swap to a 4x4 vehicle.

To do a 4x4 conversion you have to pull the engine and replace the engine crossmember, which requires cutting and welding at the frame. It's not a job for a novice to tackle.

Additionally, on the topic of adding a locker to your existing 4x2 Explorer, most clubs require 4x4 to join on rides.

Either way, good luck.

I did it.

I did the swap in my Explorer Sport. It didn't cost me anywhere near 2000. But I needed my transmission rebuild anyway so I don't count that. You don't need to pull the engine or remove the crossmember. You do have to grind off the TTB mounts and replace them with 4x4 ones. I used a manual transfer case. Anyway if you want to do it then just go for it.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I did the swap in my Explorer Sport. It didn't cost me anywhere near 2000. But I needed my transmission rebuild anyway so I don't count that. You don't need to pull the engine or remove the crossmember. You do have to grind off the TTB mounts and replace them with 4x4 ones. I used a manual transfer case. Anyway if you want to do it then just go for it.
Everything I read said crossmember had to go.

You pulled the twin I-beam equipment and swapped in the TTB equipment?

Back