• Register Today It's free!

Bucking & Engine Code's on 03 XLT

dsturch1

Reaction score
City, State
Pennington, NJ
Year, Model & Trim Level
03 4.0 XLT & 98 5.0 XLT
Alright everyone, hopefully there is a light at the end of the tunnel. I saw an 03 Explorer today at a local dealership and it looked super clean - stopped in and got a pretty good deal on it. It is a 2003 Explorer XLT v6 with 160k on it. The dealer had all service records and the truck was spotless so for what they were asking it didn't seem bad. All things considered, the truck ran great and what not. I was just driving (4 hours later) and the Service Engine Soon light started flashing and the truck started feeling like it was almost lightly bucking.

I read the codes and I got P0300, P0304, P0305, and P0306, and P2198. HELP PLEASE?! Any common issues with these?

** Edited with updated codes**

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

the first p0300 is random misfire, the p0304 is cylinder 4 misfire, check your wires-plugs. the p0500 is a variable speed sensor code, not sure on the 600 code, I think it is a communication error of some type.

I re-read the codes to make sure those were the right ones I had remembered, and they were not. Edited initial post with right codes. If anyone can help, greatly appreciated.

After checking the plug wires, it looks like they are all going to the right cylinders. Also, when the service engine soon light comes on, it almost seems like the trans is hesitant to shift and a little chirp sound has happened once or twice.

Looking at the firing order it could well be that the coil has gone out as the misfire is the cylinders on the back of the coil. P2198 I believe is an O2 sensor code, which is either rich or lean, this one could be caused by the misfire.

I would check the coil pack pack with an ohm meter for primary and secondary resistance and see if the back set of the coils gas gone bad.

resistance on the coil is primary between .3-.9
secondary is 11k-17k

Would the coil pack being bad explain the miss on all 3 in addition to the chirping sound and the truck lagging?

It would explain the lagging and the miss, the chirp I would think is the belt possibly slipping

I would think the chirp would be the harmonic ballancer, and if that is messed up your timing will be off causing the miss.

I would think the chirp would be the harmonic ballancer, and if that is messed up your timing will be off causing the miss.

How complicated/difficult is it to replace the harmonic balancer?

Back