Touch Up Paint and Paint Codes | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

00excursion

Reaction score
I got ahold of some of the OEM Touch Up Paint for Tri-Coat White, it seems as if it is more just the top coat as it doesn't have much base color and as such makes the scratch look a lot darker than the rest of the Explorer....has anyone used some of the other sites available like paintscratch.com or automotivetouchup.com with good results? Both of these specifically note inclusion of both a mid and top coat as opposed to a single stage like the Ford OEM touchup.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I got ahold of some of the OEM Touch Up Paint for Tri-Coat White, it seems as if it is more just the top coat as it doesn't have much base color and as such makes the scratch look a lot darker than the rest of the Explorer....has anyone used some of the other sites available like paintscratch.com or automotivetouchup.com with good results? Both of these specifically note inclusion of both a mid and top coat as opposed to a single stage like the Ford OEM touchup.
I assume you gave it a good shake first. I have the same OEM touch up paint but haven't had to use it yet. My experience with any of these touch up paints has not been very good. Years ago I had a fair size stone chip on the hood of my Highlander. I tried the touch up paint and wasn't happy with the result. Since it was in a spot that I would always be looking at, I took it in to the Toyota body shop and had then repaint the entire hood.
Good luck with yours and welcome to our Forum.:wavey:

Thanks for the reply, I did shake it extensively....I had the same problem with the Touch Up paint for my Limited Expedition (White Sand Tri-Coat).

I don't have the tri-coat, but the touch up paint for the candy red worked well for a small chip in the door. The primer wasn't stripped off so no need to prime. The color matches perfectly. I put on three coats of paint (but probably could have gone another three) and about three coats of clearcoat and you have to get real close to see it!

Paint code for deep impact blue

Well today I decided to try and get a bottle of touch up paint to keep in the glove compartment.

I went to the dealership with the X and the parts guy said the code on the door panel says 14 is the paint code. Well he could not find that code listed.

Maybe it is to early for the 2013 codes to be available.

Me, I thought the code was J4 for deep impact blue but ford says that the Escape only has this code for this color.

Now I wonder what the code really is for the 2013 Explorer.

The parts guy said to wait a month then check back for the 2013 colors to get in.

I had to find it for my Shark Fin Antenna, it is J4.

Did you end up finding paint anywhere? They can't find it for my Shark Antenna (in Canada) but said if I can find it (locally) they will send me one primed and I can have it painted.

Yes, i found the paint at paintscratch.com.

They list it ,paint code j4, for the 2013 ford escape. I ordered a touch up pin but they sell it in any size kit form for your needs.

They mix paint for each order and the pin i received is a perfect match for my color.

The step to ordering are:
select color then you sellect what or how much you need to paint.
This brings up a list of what you need and you can sellect the amount of paint with the clear coat. Also it will list the prep materials and offer them for purchase.

The paint company then mixes the paint to order, take about a week from mixing to receiving. You get a white index card to put some color on to compair the paint to your color on the car. If it is not a match then you can call them.

With mine, it was a perfect match and you can not see the chip at all when I was finished. best of all the company keeps a record of your color order for any reorders from them.

link:http://www.paintscratch.com/touch_up_paint/Ford/2012-Ford-Escape.html

Just choose j4 deep impact blue for your sellection.

^ Thanks for all of the info! :)

Touch up paint...

So 1 month down and I already have a chip in the rear bumper. :fire: I know I didn't do it! I'm thinking a shopping cart in the lot, but I would imagine the paint would take more than that to chip.

Am I safe to order touch up paint from eBay or should I wait until I can get to the dealership? Just the thought of it being there is maing my blood boil! TIA!

I can give you my perspective on this first hand. When I bought my 2013 XLT it has a chip next to the left bumper in the paint. Took it back to the dealer and they put touchup paint on it. I couldnt really tell unless I was standing and looking at a certain angle or once I got up close, it looked bad. Took it back again and they gave it a professional recoat in that area. Now I cant tell at all. I would avoid touch up because I will hide it unless you get within a foot or so and wont exactly match. Hope this helps

So 1 month down and I already have a chip in the rear bumper. :fire: I know I didn't do it! I'm thinking a shopping cart in the lot, but I would imagine the paint would take more than that to chip.

Am I safe to order touch up paint from eBay or should I wait until I can get to the dealership? Just the thought of it being there is maing my blood boil! TIA!
I've always picked up one of those touch up 'paint pens' at the dealer when I got my new vehicles. They aren't perfect but I've always had a good match. I had a stone chip on the driver's side of the hood on one of my previous Highlanders and tried touching it up. I didn't like the result and knew it would bother me everytime I looked at it so I went to the Toyota body shop and had the whole hood repainted.

Peter

Touch up paint for rims

Looking for some touch up paint for the painted rims on the Ex. I think the color is hyper silver but not sure. Anyone find this out there?

Have you checked with your dealer's parts department?
I just hope it comes out looking better than the one in the link;

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=371933&highlight=paint

Peter

Hey Peter, I didn't check with the dealer yet. I had found some old Threads that said Ford didn't make rim touch up paint. I was thinking about stripping the paint and having the rims polished. I picked up a set of limited 20" rims on ebay. Just a couple of chips in the paint I could touch up and wax. But if it was possible to strip and polish I think these rims would look sweet!

There are a lot of wheel repair shops around the DFW area that can make a DAMAGED rim close to perfect, sure you have some of those around there....

Looking for some touch up paint for the painted rims on the Ex. I think the color is hyper silver but not sure. Anyone find this out there?

Go to www.paintscratch.com. They matched the color for my 2011 Limited painted wheels perfectly. I used "Sparkle Silver # M6389.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back