things that go *bump* in the parking lot | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

things that go *bump* in the parking lot

gr8whitebuffalo

Reaction score
City, State
Oklahoma
Year, Model & Trim Level
2012 XLT 4X4
Our 2012 XLT AWD is in the shop and the service department isn't sure what is wrong or how to fix it. They don't seem to be making any progress, so I knew it was time to call upon the combined wisdom of the forum.

The issue (while minor) is worrisome in that it seems to be drivetrain or suspension related and I hope it can be repaired while in warranty.

After the Exp has been parked for 2-3 minutes, often a soft bump or thud is heard and felt through the pedal as you begin to drive.

I've read other threads about a transmission thunk or thud, but this isn't at all that severe. A passenger wouldn't notice this unless they were trying to.

It happens only in motion, and within 10 seconds of driving away. Occurs forward and reverse, on level or sloped surface, driving straight or turning.

I've determined it won't happen simply by coming to a stop- only after the Exp has been in park for a couple minutes.

The bump can be felt about 70% of the time.

At the dealer, they've described it as 'intermittent', but have experienced it. They do not feel TSBs are applicable to the issue. They have used their equipment to 'listen' for the source of the sound but can't locate the source...

I'm not a nitpicker, but this definitely isn't normal. The shop seems to be doing their best to find the problem (for two weeks!) and I haven't asked Cory to step in.

Anybody else experience this? Got any ideas where they should start?

Thanks for the help!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

This doesn't directly relate, but I had two 1996 Chevy Tahoes. At the 10,000 mile mark they both develped a small jerk when starting from the dead stop. They could lubricate something in the transmission and it would go away for 10,000 miles. When it came near the end of the warranty, I pushed for a permanent fix and GM said that they considered it an "acceptable triat". I have not owned a GM product since.

I hope you have better luck with Ford.

While I'm not a mechanic, it seems to me that since you experience the jerk only after shifting out of park rather than from a stop while on drive, the first thing that comes to my mind is the transfer case for the AWD.

Could be play in the linkage, driveshaft, u-joints, or even the tranny fluid.

It doesn't seem to me that you have enough miles on it to have "normal wear" issues.

The good news is the dealer hasn't given up.

I would ask The dealer if they've used the Ford hotline for help from the engineers.

Sorry I couldn't be of more help.

Good luck

Can you feel the thud in the body of the truck? Im pretty sure these are resistance pedals (not a cable) so maybe there's an electrical issue causing the pedal to pulsate real quick?
Honestly though, I think you got a cursed x.

Our 2012 XLT AWD is in the shop and the service department isn't sure what is wrong or how to fix it. They don't seem to be making any progress, so I knew it was time to call upon the combined wisdom of the forum.

The issue (while minor) is worrisome in that it seems to be drivetrain or suspension related and I hope it can be repaired while in warranty.

After the Exp has been parked for 2-3 minutes, often a soft bump or thud is heard and felt through the pedal as you begin to drive.

I've read other threads about a transmission thunk or thud, but this isn't at all that severe. A passenger wouldn't notice this unless they were trying to.

It happens only in motion, and within 10 seconds of driving away. Occurs forward and reverse, on level or sloped surface, driving straight or turning.

I've determined it won't happen simply by coming to a stop- only after the Exp has been in park for a couple minutes.

At the dealer, they've described it as 'intermittent', but have experienced it. They do not feel TSBs are applicable to the issue. They have used their equipment to 'listen' for the source of the sound but can't locate the source...

I'm not a nitpicker, but this definitely isn't normal. The shop seems to be doing their best to find the problem (for two weeks!) and I haven't asked Cory to step in.

Thanks for the help!
Welcome to the Forum gr8whitebuffalo.:wavey:
Have you tried setting the Terrain Management System to another setting to see if you still get that bump? It sounds like it could be a problem with either the transmission or drive train.
If they cannot find a fix, perhaps you should just drive it for a while to see if it gradually gets worse, or hopefully disappears.

Peter

Could it be the climate control system?

I think this better describe what i was trying to explain in an older thread.. i definitly have this issue ( built 11/2012). I feel it in the pedal and sometime thru the steering wheel. I didn't show it to dealer yet. Hoping it will go away. Please keep us updated.

As long as we are guessing...'Any chance it could be related to the self-check that the ABS system performs on initial roll? It's common for the ABS system to briefly charge the system when you first start rolling, to check that it is working properly. Usually the driver is the only one that can detect it. I can definitely feel it on my 2013 Limited, but is seems no worse than any other vehicle with ABS that I have driven. Maybe the thump is initiated or "amplified" during this otherwise normal event. But then again, you indicated that the dealer claims to have validated that something is going on. 'Eager to hear how this turns out.

^ I was wondering the same thing. I kinda remember a thread discussing something like this before.

...I'm not a nitpicker, but this definitely isn't normal. The shop seems to be doing their best to find the problem (for two weeks!) and I haven't asked Cory to step in...
gr8whitebuffalo,

I still have your details from previous messages, so drop a line if you’d like my help.

...I feel it in the pedal and sometime thru the steering wheel. I didn't show it to dealer yet. Hoping it will go away. Please keep us updated.
I recommend showing it to the dealer, CDNexp. Have you tried calling the Ford of Canada Customer Relationship Center @ 1-800-565-3673?

...I can definitely feel it on my 2013 Limited, but is seems no worse than any other vehicle with ABS that I have driven. Maybe the thump is initiated or "amplified" during this otherwise normal event...
swkooter,

Let me know via PM if you feel it’s more than normal.

Thanks guys for everyone taking the time to help in this thread!

Cory

Thanks for the help!

My '12 Explorer exhibits a very minor bump everytime I go forward after backing out of my driveway. It has always been there, but is neither audable or troublesome. As the driver I can feel it through the gas pedal.

My '12 Explorer exhibits a very minor bump everytime I go forward after backing out of my driveway. It has always been there, but is neither audable or troublesome. As the driver I can feel it through the gas pedal.
I back out of my driveway all the time, for over a year now, and have yet to notice any bump when going forward.

Peter

Haven't felt any bumps in the Ghost.

I back out of my driveway all the time, for over a year now, and have yet to notice any bump when going forward.

Peter

Perhaps it has something to do with the grade of my street (backing downhill, pulling forward up) - idk? Regardless, this is the only time I sense this bump. And it's so slight I don't pay any attention to it anymore.

I get this same thing, and I would describe it more like something is rubbing. I thought it was the tire rubbing at first...only happens after you have been parked for a while, even just getting gas. The intensity of the bump/rub increases the longer the explorer is parked.

I told my dealer about this, and they wrote it off as corrosion on the rotors...this has nothing to do with the brakes imho, since when it occurs I am not applying or releasing the brakes.

This only occurs for me when I am turning the wheel (always occurs when backing out of the driveway, then once going forward and turning, I feel the bump/rub). Just doesn't seem like that should happen, never had anything like that occur in any of my other cars, and I did not have it happen in the other Ex's I test drove.

Hope your dealer can figure it out, so the rest of us can get it fixed!

Thanks!

I get this same thing, and I would describe it more like something is rubbing. I thought it was the tire rubbing at first...only happens after you have been parked for a while, even just getting gas. The intensity of the bump/rub increases the longer the explorer is parked.

I told my dealer about this, and they wrote it off as corrosion on the rotors...this has nothing to do with the brakes imho, since when it occurs I am not applying or releasing the brakes.

This only occurs for me when I am turning the wheel (always occurs when backing out of the driveway, then once going forward and turning, I feel the bump/rub). Just doesn't seem like that should happen, never had anything like that occur in any of my other cars, and I did not have it happen in the other Ex's I test drove.

Hope your dealer can figure it out, so the rest of us can get it fixed!

Thanks!

One thing to note. It seems that if i let the Ex warm up for 5 mins or so, I did not notice the bump/rub. Started the Ex this morning, and forgot to get something in the house...then had to take the trash out (one of those mornings) when i backed out of the driveway, no bump/rub.

Could it be power steering?

So I believe most of what is being reported here is the normal Self-Check that occurs with the Anti-lock Breaking System (ABS). This is not unique to Ford. The system briefly charges itself upon forward rolling motion to make sure that everything is ready to perform, should the ABS be required. Normally, passengers in a car do not notice. The driver can perceive it only if paying very close attention on smooth level road, with light acceleration. If the driver detects it, they may notice the sound or feel it through the steering wheel or pedals.

It’s a vital system with some pretty good diagnostics. If the self-check fails, usually there is a pretty evident indication to the driver of the need for attention. The fault is usually indicated to the driver via lights and/or messages on the dash. Now, this is too important of a system to ignore, so the proviso goes: if you suspect problems, have it looked at.

Gr8whitebuffalo, in your case, you indicated that the dealer confirmed something ‘intermittent’ – any news or update you can provide us on your situation?

'Not intending to shut down the thread here. If anyone else learns something new, please share.

I get this same thing, and I would describe it more like something is rubbing. I thought it was the tire rubbing at first...
UCFGreg,

Allow me to look in to this and share with your regional Customer Service Manager. For me to help, please send a PM with your approximate mileage, contact info, dealer name/state, and VIN.

...Regardless, this is the only time I sense this bump. And it's so slight I don't pay any attention to it anymore.
Thanks for letting us know, xplanfan; I still have your details from before, so drop a line if you’d like me to arrange a follow-up.

Cory

I have this as well in my 14 sport..only does it once...until i shut car off again for 5 min or more. Feels like a rubbing or bump feeling in gas pedal...i looked at the ABS thread and i am pretty sure thats it

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have an issue where I hear a metal "squeak" after going into to reverse and the driving forward, I hear it about 3 seconds after going forward and this is the only time I ever hear it, but I don't "feel" anything. Is this the same thing? I'm going to get it checked out at the dealer.

Back