Timing belt guides/tensioners ????? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Timing belt guides/tensioners ?????

scooter3

Reaction score
City, State
Arizona
Year, Model & Trim Level
'13 Explorer Lmtd 302A
We have a 04' Explorer Eddie Bauer edition with 180,000 miles on the clock. It was recently gone through with all fluid changes (transmission, rear diff, coolant, brake fluid, power steering fluid) they also replaced the steering rack, A/C manifold line, plugs and front brakes. Shortly after getting the truck back it started making this rattling noise (best way I can describe it) which sounds like it is coming from the passenger side under the truck. I know sound will travel, but after getting under the truck this seems to be where it originates. We took it back and they said it sounds like it is coming from the timing cover area. They could not perform the work so it went to the dealer. $1300 later from the dealer it is still making the noise. They said they replaced the timing chain tensioners. What else could be making this noise? I know I am being vague, but I am at my wits end and don’t want to throw more money into it.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

We have a 04' Explorer Eddie Bauer edition with 180,000 miles on the clock. It was recently gone through with all fluid changes (transmission, rear diff, coolant, brake fluid, power steering fluid) they also replaced the steering rack, A/C manifold line, plugs and front brakes. Shortly after getting the truck back it started making this rattling noise (best way I can describe it) which sounds like it is coming from the passenger side under the truck. I know sound will travel, but after getting under the truck this seems to be where it originates. We took it back and they said it sounds like it is coming from the timing cover area. They could not perform the work so it went to the dealer. $1300 later from the dealer it is still making the noise. They said they replaced the timing chain tensioners. What else could be making this noise? I know I am being vague, but I am at my wits end and don’t want to throw more money into it.

Any proof that the tensioners were actually replaced? I.e. do the appropriate areas look like they are cleaner or have been disturbed?

The timing chain itself can stretch over time too, I'd suggest having it replaced at the same time as the tensioners.

Well we took the truck to the dealer yesterday to let them have it overnight. I explained that the noise is more noticeable in the morning on cold starts. My advisor called me first thing this morning to say that he and two techs were at the truck when it was started and they could not hear any noise. This confuses me, because it happens every morning. My father in law who was visiting for the weekend even heard it and he has never seen the truck before. My advisor asked for me to come down and start the truck with him and the tech so I could describe the noise. As far as I can see they did do some work on the truck. You can see where they removed the intake and most of the other peripherals around the top of the engine. I guess we will see this afternoon.

Just got back from the dealership. I had my adviser and two techs listen for the noise in the truck. When we first started the truck it was not making any noise. Needless to say I was shocked. I told them to let the truck run a minute and low and behold the noise started. They all looked at each other and started looking around the engine bay. One of the techs went and got his stethoscope and started poking around looking for the noise. After about 10 minutes they concluded that the noise was coming from my belt tensioner and pulley. They are going to replace both units tomorrow free of charge and hopefully that will take care of things. Bad thing is that I might have paid for something that might have not been the issue. The good thing I guess is that these parts go bad so if they were replaced as stated then I have an engine that will run for another 100,000 miles.......I hope. More to come.

Back