• Register Today It's free!

Front Side Window Tint?

Markaprice73

Reaction score
City, State
Texas
Year, Model & Trim Level
'03 Sport Trac XLT (RWD)
I'm saving up for some tint on the front windows to match the rears. I was just curious what the percentage would be to match them? The front ones have some very faint factory tint on them that they would be putting over it. I'm leaving this one up to the pros to do. I was just curious. I read that our ST's have around 20-21%% in the rears ?. The laws in texas is 25% for front I believe.(so they should be pretty close) I found a very reputable shop btw. But, MAN some of those guys on youtube make it look so easy! You can tell they know what they are doing(one young mans vids in paticular) But i would like to get the lifetime warrenty for something like this though. Wish I had one of those sensors that tell you like the po-po has. I'm sure they have on at the shop. Anyway, does any one know what % they put on the fronts to match? I guessing the front is around 70% already so they would have to put on 45% to get it to 25% Thanks. Just wondering if anyone had the facts. I also have seen that some % incriments are different from brand to brand. SO I guess they just have to go with what they got and get it close.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Had mine matched last month @ 20%. Big help with our sun. I'm going back to get the windshield tinted to 80% ceramic tint.

IMG_3596.jpg

IMG_3594.jpg

Yep. I remember your Trac speciffically :) It's what got me seriously thinking about getting this done ever since. It's always bothered me. I just cant justify(with the Wife) how the $75 or whatever it costs could have gone toward a bill or whatever.(or justify to myself how I could put the $ toward something else for the Trac..its a big list;)).. Yeah yeah. Your Wifes awsome.
I was also going to ask them to put 20% on the 4in(i think) top of the front windshield. I think that would really help with the sun.

You can get precut films on Ebay - I got the front doors only for about $14 shipped, iirc.

I think I got the 70%, waiting until after inspection next month to put it on in case its too dark. If it comes out darker than the back, I might get a rear kit too. They also sell full kits, and you can get different front/rear/back tints.

They call the windshield piece a "sun strip"...

I've tried a few times to install tint... I will never do that again lol

you never know if you are getting quality film with the do it yourself kits. I would rather dish out the extra $$$ to have someone else do it and get it fixed if there is a problem later on (which has happened to me) then to save some money and have your tint turn purple and bubble in a year or two. but that is just my two cents.

I got mine done about a month ago, it's not quite legal but it's how I like it here in the hot Florida sun. 5% on the fronts, 5% windshield strip that is quite low and 5% on top of the factory tint on the rear windows. I'm not advocating for getting illegal window tint I am advocating for having a professional do the job!

560737_2048058617990_1740205997_958104_122454009_n.jpg

Back