trany oill and filter change problem | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

trany oill and filter change problem

clk27us

Reaction score
City, State
seattle washington
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 ford explorer xlt
I have searched through the threads for help with this prob but did not find a clear solution. any help would be great. I changed the transmission fluid and filter on my 98 x 4.0 couple days ago. the transmission was working ok and no real problems just slow shifting in to reverse and drive. drained the fluid put on a new filter and went to drive it and now it wont shift into any gear. i put in 3qts of fluid like it said in the manual but it wasn't even registering on the dipstick. so i added another half quart and it helped alittle bit. still nothing on the dipstick. fast forward to next moring. I checked the dipstick first thing in the morn and now its showing the level past the hot level mark....what is up? i've changed the oil and tranny fluid hundereds of times and im not a newbie to cars and trucks. I've read the 5r55e diary thread and a bunch of other threads and have not got a clear answer on this. Do i need more fluid or to drain some back out?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Just what I have noticed from past changes. I assume you have the sohc w/5r55e trans.

Fluid level is very difficult to read on the dipstick and the trans is very sensitive to proper fluid level. I "always" measure what I take out, seems like 5 to 6 qts on this trans.

Last pan change I used Castrol mercon 5. Trans seemed to like this fluid. Shifts are all good. Now have approx 185k on original trans, with valve body update 5/6 yrs ago at 100k.

You are using mercon 5?

+1 to the above.

I recently got some good advice to experiment with how the dipstick is inserted/removed and figure out what works best and which side is accurate. Wipe it good each time. After investing 20min on this I now have a reliable method for this vehicle. Never had to do this with another tranny!

The reading that matters is idling in park at normal operating temp.

BK

Just what I have noticed from past changes. I assume you have the sohc w/5r55e trans.

Fluid level is very difficult to read on the dipstick and the trans is very sensitive to proper fluid level. I "always" measure what I take out, seems like 5 to 6 qts on this trans.

Last pan change I used Castrol mercon 5. Trans seemed to like this fluid. Shifts are all good. Now have approx 185k on original trans, with valve body update 5/6 yrs ago at 100k.

You are using mercon 5?

Yes i have the 4.0 sohc v6 with the 5r55e transmission. I am so lucky that i still have the fluid that i took out. I used a cheap mercon v cause i was going to leave it in for a couple days and add a drain plug then do another change with some good stuff. you guys are great. i knew something was up.I'll let ya know how things turned out....with pics

+1 to the above.

I recently got some good advice to experiment with how the dipstick is inserted/removed and figure out what works best and which side is accurate. Wipe it good each time. After investing 20min on this I now have a reliable method for this vehicle. Never had to do this with another tranny!

The reading that matters is idling in park at normal operating temp.

BK
What was the method that you ended up with? My dipstick is pretty hard to push in for what ever reason. If i have just put fluid in forget about it. the whole stick comes out covered in fluid and no way to tell what the level is. Even after i waited a good 15 mins i still couldnt hardly tell what it was. i will experiment with mine but any tips on what you figured out on yours would be great also..:)

No guarantee my method works for you, but I insert it with the "Mercon V" lettering on the handle facing the front of the vehicle, using two hands, and shove it down quickly. One hand at the handle providing downward pressure, and the other hand near the tube, feeding it in and also providing downward pressure. It'll rotate 90 degrees as it goes down so the handle will end up facing you. Quickly pull it back out and read the best side. The tube is long and has several bends, which is why the dipstick smears fluid. Start with a super dry dipstick. Hope that helps. After 15yrs of ownership I think I finally have a technique that works reliably for me.

BK

I plan on changing the tranny fluid and filter myself soon. Any issues trying to drop the pan or does it come out with no obstructions? I thought I read somewhere that something gets in the way and you might need to remove it, but can't remember.

Front driveshaft.

Front driveshaft.

Thanks. Is it hard to remove?

I took a peak under my truck, and although one of the cat converters is under the pan, it looks like it might be able to slip between the driveshaft and the cat, but I was not sure.

I did a fluid flush about 3 years ago where I flushed out all the fluid through the tranny line, but did not change the filter, so I'm guessing the filter has been in there for 6-7 years now. I did not want to bother removing the pan. 30,000 miles later, the tranny shifts fine, no problems, no burnt oil. I'm wondering if I should just do a flush alone again. Truck has 117K on it.

On mine I just remove the four TORX screws at the front diff., then just swing it out of the way, with the one end still connected to the t-case. Hey maybe if you do end up dropping the pan, adding in a drain plug is a pretty cool mod.

On mine I just remove the four TORX screws at the front diff., then just swing it out of the way, with the one end still connected to the t-case. Hey maybe if you do end up dropping the pan, adding in a drain plug is a pretty cool mod.

I saw those 4 TORX screws/bolts, but it looks as if you can remove them with a regular ratchet since it has a hex head.

I'll look for the drain plug mod.

Back