Torsion Twist Done

soon2bsick

Reaction score
City, State
florida
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 mountaineer
Despite the gnats and mesquitos here in lovely Florida,

We got the torsion twist done. I was able to get 3" out of the stock bolts so I'm saving the longer ones I got from Zabtek for later on

Before

556163_2176870118197_1740205997_1004558_2116106129_n.jpg

After

156436_2176871078221_1740205997_1004559_789419254_n.jpg

At some point this weekend I will be getting the shackles on and then getting my alignment

Will there be any issues getting the shackles on with a hitch already installed? It looks tight

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Looks awesome man! Looking forward to seeing the shackles installed.

As for putting those on, no the hitch doesn't get in the way, but does make it a little tighter. Make sure to spray the bolts with pb blaster or some other penetratrating oil overnight. It'll really make things easier in the long run. Also, a breaker bar of some sort could definitely be your friend depending on how rusted/dirty the bolts are.

I thought I would have time to do them tonight but it got dark quick. I had all the bolts off with only one spray of WD-40 5 seconds before I went to un bolting them. Under my rig is pretty rust free, I was surprised when I went to buy it. The shackles look like new besides a few dirt clumps I added to them last weekend.

My father who is helping me with the install was concerned about the new shackles not clearing the hitch but I'm glad they will.

After seeing just the small TT lift I really want a body lift now and some 35s

Like this!? Haha I just got mine all finished up today and threw some 35s under it

photo1-5.jpg

As for the shackles, they kinda push everything up. The distance from the hitch to the back connection of the leaf spring will stay close to the same. Everything is just moved up in the rear.

I was running shackles and a TT for about a week getting ready to do my body lift and just the shackles make it so much easier to work on the underside. Although the body lift and 35s helps even more lol

BTW I don't know if you've seen Lono's writeup for the shackle lift but it is really helpful and has a couple good tips. I pretty much just followed that and got it done in a couple hours.

yes! like that haha man your truck looks great

how hard was the body lift to do? how long did it take you? the directions have me a little nervous

are you 4x4?

Soon2b - I know you may have already made up your mind about the shackles, but you should consider the add-a-leaf instead for long-term reasons.

I plan to do the add a leaf once I have everything else (body lift/tires/rims), The shackles were given to me as a gift so I'm going to use them for the next couple of months to appease the gifter. I know they are known to flatten springs so I don't want to use them long term.

I need to look into the instructions of the add a leaf as well, I have never done it before. I want to tackle the body lift/springs/tires and new shocks all in one setting

yeh i am one that went with add-a-leafs on my lift, me and offtrac swear by it. also sounds like luke went to the dark side with us.

I got 1.75" lift in rear and initially had 2" up front but after setteling it balanced out to 1.75" up front too. i'll be honest the rear end gets a lil stiffer but not unbearable doing it this way makes it feel more rigid like a true ford truck.

the springs part number is pro comp explorer 13120

Hey guys, I got a 97' XLT, I measured both sides, Drivers side was about 1/4" lower, Well i started by doing a few turns on the passenger side. Well i got about 1 1/2" out of that. Went to the drivers side and its now leveled up :scratch:

All the explorers have a lil lean. I like that you evened it up though :thumbsup:

yeah... I hate the lean. Had a 2000 mercury mountaineer 5.0 and it had it bad. My trac was a half an inch lower on the drivers side so I leveled it with the TT.

Tomorrow I will tackle the shackles.

I am scheduled to get an alignment on Tuesday since the shop was packed today, But two of the shop guys came out and said my alignment already looks dead on.....

I explained what I had done (the TT) and that it was recommended that I get one. They said "We can do it but I think you're wasting your money, It looks like you're going to be dead on"

To me it looks like it did before the lift, The dealership performed an alignment on it before I got it last month. I was thinking I would notice a bow in the tires like I saw on my friends car when we lowered it but it looks the same. When I drove it to the shop it felt fine, No pull, nothing.

I have the appointment scheduled anyways, I guess it won't hurt to do it to be sure

Thats what I'm doing tuesday too. Mine drives fine and doesn't pull to either side but I just want to be sure. Id hate to wear out a new set of tires over something so easy to do.

soon2bsick,

I was 99% sure I had the alignment done correctly by myself when I changed my steering rack. It tracked perfectly straight and everything looked and felt perfect. 3,000 miles later, everything still seemed perfect. My passenger's side front tire was showing irregular wear.

Got an alignment by professionals, rotated in the spare and no issues since.

My suggestion: don't skimp on that $45 alignment.

soon2bsick,

I was 99% sure I had the alignment done correctly by myself when I changed my steering rack. It tracked perfectly straight and everything looked and felt perfect. 3,000 miles later, everything still seemed perfect. My passenger's side front tire was showing irregular wear.

Got an alignment by professionals, rotated in the spare and no issues since.

My suggestion: don't skimp on that $45 alignment.

haha I wish it was that cheap.

Cheapest place in town came out to $80 after tax

got the alignment done today though and a speech from the mechanic about how I'm going to be going through 3 sets of tires a year since I did the torsion twist. Gave me his story about how he did that to his dodge and it tore it up and he went through a ton of tires ect ect

oh well

^^lololol^^

ive had my TT done and 33"s thrown on since last labor day. i have about 5k miles on them and tghey still look brand spanking new. no uneven wear, or even a sign that the tread is running down. they still look perfectly new, even through a winter of snow driving and off roading in the mountains.

this guy was determined I know what a bad idea it was. After the speech and they did my alignment and it was time to pay I had to sign the warranty paper thing and he said "signing this states that you acknowledge we did your alignment here and that I DID notify you that the torsion lift will eat up your tires"

I just knodded and smiled, I could understand if he told me it wore out tires faster but to tell me I would be going through 3 sets of tires a year minimum... that's just crazy

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I would personally prefer not to do a torsion twist but I haven't seen any ill effects in two years with less than 2".

Back