another transmission cooler question | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

another transmission cooler question

boggs1227

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Flowery Branch , Georgia, 1994 sport 2wd auto
Year, Model & Trim Level
2005 colorado 2wd 5spd
i bought a cooler years ago from pepboys and i want to say it's a hayden cooler but lost the box it came in years ago.i bought it for my 79 ramcharger 4x4 with a torqueflight 727 transmission(but never installed it ...still brand new! ) so i know thats a much larger one than the a4ld in the explorer so i'm hopeing this will work with no problems.

here it is . . . .
DSCN1115.jpg

i have looked at alot of different coolers for sale and what sizes per cost they each were so the only thing i can compare it to is about $90-100 (i think i paid $40 back years ago) for the size of it .as far installing it i have some questions .i have read the other posts on the subject and just want to get the facts right before i start cutting steel cooling lines .

also most of all the placement of the new aux cooler .i know it goes in front of the radiator but hows it plumbs in the the upper and lower radiator lines.

do i plumb it in to the upper or the lower ? also i know that cutting into these lines requires that you cut so many inchs after the bend where it hooks into the radiator ...but cutting..... i have a tube cutter that i bought at home depot that i have used on copper plumbing ...would cutting the steel lines introduce shaveings into that particular line that i'm cutting !? any ideas on how the prevent that or even if thats a problem at all with that type of tube cutting tool ?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

bump :shifty_ey

thanks alot,i'm no dummy but i like to get the facts before i start doing something you know. i just hope the cooler i got will fit ...i guess cooling % should not really be a factor ....the cooler the better right ? the tube cutter you showed is similar to the one i have except the one i got is lot smaller so i think that will work better for my job since it's in close quarters near the radiator.

:salute:

OK, I just checked my truck. The fluid runs from the transmission to the top of the radiator and exits at the bottom of the radiator. It then goes through the filter and the coolers and back to the transmission. And you can't overcool these transmissions. Heat kills them so the cooler the better.

That's a great cooler :thumbsup: and pretty large too. As long as you can fit it in there. Are you going to install a temp gauge as well?

Yep, the cooler the better. That one looks nice. You can ignore the part where I recommend you get one in your Mercon thread.

hey guys...sorry for being out for a while ...been working alot and not much time for the forum.

well good, i can use that cooler.the only question i guess i still have is does the cooler connect inline with the upper coolant line that runs to the radiator?

That's a great cooler :thumbsup: and pretty large too. As long as you can fit it in there. Are you going to install a temp gauge as well?

i have thought about it but it sure would be nice to have one tho .:salute:

hey guys...sorry for being out for a while ...been working alot and not much time for the forum.

well good, i can use that cooler.the only question i guess i still have is does the cooler connect inline with the upper coolant line that runs to the radiator?

hook it up after the radiator, you want to tranny to flow into the radiator first, then into the two external cooler and back to the tranny.

The temp gauge should be in the top (tranny output) line to give you the reading of the pre-cooled fluid.

cooling flow diagram - can anbody confirm this: flow comes out of the lower connection on the transmission, flow to the top connection on the radiator, comes out the lower connection on the radiator and enters the lower connection on the filter, comes out the top connection of the filter and flows back to the transmission and enters on the top connection of the transmission. My son disconnected the lines on the tranny and now i'm not sure which one connects to the top and which one connects to the bottom. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

repost of question______cooling flow diagram - can anbody confirm this: flow comes out of the lower connection on the transmission, flow to the top connection on the radiator, comes out the lower connection on the radiator and enters the lower connection on the auxillary cooler, comes out the top connection of the auxillary cooler and flows back to the transmission and enters on the top connection of the transmission. My son disconnected the lines on the tranny and now i'm not sure which one connects to the top and which one connects to the bottom. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

Gee I'm not sure. Unhook one line and start the car for a second and see if the fluid runs out the Radiator or out of the Line.
Yes let the fluid Pre Cool in the 190 degree radiator THEN run it through the New Cooler.

OR take the radiator out of the loop all together. You can run the trani off that coller all by itself.

According to http://www.txchange.com/cooler.htm the return line is the top on on the transmission. That is also how I remember it but its been years since I worked on/with an a4ld.

~Mark

You can also hold the brake put it into drive and give a little throttle, you should be able to feel the output line heat up.

I know on mine it is the top line. YMMV

if flow lines are top and bottom return line is always top so any air is flushed, buck

if flow lines are top and bottom return line is always top so any air is flushed, buck

This may be true in hydraulics, but the idea is to efficiently cool the fluid. Air in the line is not a concern since the fluid just returns to the trans pan. Since heat rises the efficient thing to do is to put the hot fluid at the top and return from the bottom. Any air in the system will be forced out as soon as you put the car into drive.

Anyway, on my 2001 I can tell you without 100% certainty that the top line is the output from the transmission. If you have any questions about that on your model do the test I listed above. You will be able to feel the output line warm up pretty quickly.

just pull one of the hoses off the cooler that is in front the radiator,little square one that looks just like the one you want to install.take that line run it to the new one,then out to were you pulled the hose off the stock one.doesnt matter witch line you pull as its the final cooler,one line comes from the radiator and other goes back to trans
its the black one on the right in this pic

icpump.jpg

Back