HID fog light conversion help | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

HID fog light conversion help

I bought new fog light HID's for my 01' XLT and I just started installing them and already ran into a problem.. First of all the kit is from hidKitxenonlights.com, there is a positive and a negative wire with a connector on the ends. Those need to get connected to the "original socket" in the truck, I think that's what is in the photo I posted, right? If so, how do I splice it because I have no idea what side is positive and which one is negative? :scratch:

HID-1.jpg

Your bulb should attach to a ballast and the ballast should be attached to your fog light wiring and the battery. Most of the time though, you want to use a relay for the power for the ballast that is triggered by the factory wiring. You can buy relay harnesses that will make it as simple as just plugging everything directly in.

The plug on the stock harness is to small, you will need to cut it off and put a 9006 connector in to connect to the ballast. I don't remember the wire colors on the explorer but whatever is black is ground.

I bought new fog light HID's for my 01' XLT and I just started installing them and already ran into a problem.. First of all the kit is from hidKitxenonlights.com, there is a positive and a negative wire with a connector on the ends. Those need to get connected to the "original socket" in the truck, I think that's what is in the photo I posted, right? If so, how do I splice it because I have no idea what side is positive and which one is negative? :scratch:

HID-1.jpg

Don't mean to bump an old thread. But if anyone is wondering, the positive wire is the one towards the front of the truck if you're underneath and looking up at the connector that the fog wires go to. The wire on the side of the clip is the postive on my 2000.

Back