Helper Springs Cure Sagging Rear End? | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Helper Springs Cure Sagging Rear End?

can't get centering bolt into axle perch hole - won't line up

You can try swapping your leaf springs from one side to the other, that would be free. The truck carries a lot more weight on the left than the right, so the spring wears faster.

Hi Joe Dirt,

I've seen many good posts by you, and I would love to ask you - or anyone who might know the answer - a question regarding stock rear springs for a 1997 5.0.
I have a sohc 97 as well and i've done add a leaf on the stock limited springs. I have a limited 5.0 as well and I"m shocked but long story short, I put new stock limited springs in (junkyard) from an IDENTICAL vehicle (just black in colour) and I cannot get the centering bolt to fit in the spring perch on the axle. I've tried many things and I'm not necessarily new to this. I"ve even tried swapping them out and changing sides upon installation. Anyways I wanted to ask you this or if there is anyone that can offer advice that would be great... at this point I might just go out and get some mid 80s f 150 springs and put them in... thing is my explorers are limited so the stock springs are less heavy duty... but if you add a leaf to them they are great I've found..
Thanks for your input.
Steve

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Get them re-arched if you're planning on keeping it -

Fast Dave! What is this about re-arching the leafs? What does that do and how much does it cost?

About how long did intake to install shocks and shackles? Did you have a lift?

Putting on shackles depends on your amount of rust. I had alot of rust but those things came right off...maybe an hour on those. I did all 4 of my shocks in about 3 hours...just fighting rust and space

What kind of shackles are those? How much did they run you

The shackles he has are the Warrior 153's

I re arched mine today using a hydraulic press. Pulled the leaf pack apart and started tweaking each leaf until I thought I liked it. I also had a couple leaf packs from another vehicle. I pulled some leaves out of those packs and tweaked them too. It's at least 6" from where it was. Standing tall! We'll see how long it lasts .

Re-arching (correctly) provides the same level of suspension travel as new leafs. Short of new leafs, is the best option if done correctly.

Add-a-leaf will increase the overall leaf stiffness, suspension travel will be decreased and ride will be harsher.

Longer shackles will "push" the empty body higher, but the existing weak leaf in a multi-leaf pack will flatten more than original one and it will engage the second leaf sooner. That is leading to a stiffer ride that original multi-leaf. It would work if the original leaf is a tapered single leaf (Explorer Sport?)

I re arched mine today using a hydraulic press. Pulled the leaf pack apart and started tweaking each leaf until I thought I liked it. I also had a couple leaf packs from another vehicle. I pulled some leaves out of those packs and tweaked them too. It's at least 6" from where it was. Standing tall! We'll see how long it lasts .

I bet they won't last long. Once you yield the steel by bending it it's very weak. I bet your truck will sag with a vengeance. They need to be re-tempered. Anyway, it will be interesting to see. Please let us know how it goes.

Back