98 Explorer, unsure if transfer case or transmission? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

98 Explorer, unsure if transfer case or transmission?

Jarod1231

Reaction score
City, State
IL
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 Explorer
Alright I could use some help... I don't really know too much about this stuff... I have a 98 explorer 4.0 v6 with 223k on it.... for a while now its been making an intermittent grinding/whirring/whining noise when driving at low speeds right after I start it (somewhere around 2nd gear) .... and the car itself starts to shake and shudder everytime its happened... but since it hasn't done it on a consistent basis I haven't been able to have someone help me diagnose it... (It's been doing this for over 2 years)... and everytime this has done it in the past, after I got the car up above about 30mph it would stop and would not do it again....

So after doing some research.... I started to think it might possibly be the fact that one of my tires is a completely different brand/tread than the other 3 and the noise I was hearing was the 4wd engaging..

well I was driving it earlier today and it started doing it almost non-stop... so I tried to shift the 4wd into low to see if it actually changed anything... put it into N and shifted it over... heard two clicks, dashboard indicated the shift was successful... tried to take off.... car starts shaking uncontrollably, making horrible grinding and whirring noises... will not shift above 3rd gear or go above 30mph... I put it back in N and try to shift it back into Auto4wd and it wont do anything... dashboard 4wd high/low lights start blinking 6 times... o/d light starts blinking... I'm not sure if this is the transfer case or the transmission itself?

After checking a few things I thought it might possibly be the transfer case motor... and I figured the way to test it would be to unplug the wiring harness connected to the transfer case motor... which would then disengage the 4wd and let me drive it in 2wd correct? ... well I tried this and it seemed to fix the grinding noise/shaking... but the car still makes a whining/whirring noise and refuses to shift into 3rd/go above 30mph....?

Any help would be appreciated...?

First things first check your trans, transfer case front and rear differential fluid level for coloration and or consumption level. Shake down your u joints and your front wheels to check for worn suspension components or shot hub assemblies. The shutter almost sounds as If its your torque converter but at the same time given the mileage on the truck I wouldnt be surprised if the tranny is on its way out. Also not knowing how long you've owned the truck much less maintained it. Spend an hour checking everything then come back with the results and we could possibly come back with a better/helpfull answer. Good luck and keep us updated.

Also with having different manufactures tires may not play a part in this so long as they are the same size. The only difference should be within 32s of an inch. If your 4 wheel was engaging automatically on a regular basis you'd have a lot more severe problems on your hand

Actually think I figured it out.... transfer case motor failed and left it stuck in 4wd low.... I removed the motor, started car, put in neutral and manually turned the switch to 4wd hi .... seems to run perfect now

Back