Solved - 1998 - 2002 Ford Explorer Stereo Wiring Diagrams ARE HERE!!!!! | Page 5 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Solved 1998 - 2002 Ford Explorer Stereo Wiring Diagrams ARE HERE!!!!!

Prefix for threads that contain problems that have been resolved, and there is an answer within the thread.
Reading through this thread, and looking at the various schematics (none of the schematics look exactly like what I have), I have yet to find out what drives the antenna. On my 1995 Explorer with the premium JBL sound system, the antenna goes directly back to the amp behind the right rear panel. The schematics do not show this, or what drives the antenna motor (or how the antenna signal gets back to the head unit).
So, screw it, I'm going to wire the new stereo directly. It'll be more work, but not insurmountable. But, how do I wire the antenna drive?

Thanks,
Chuck

http://www.fordforumsonline.com/for...orer-audio-schematics-1995-premium-system.pdf

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The rear antenna connection is shown on the 96-97 JBL system schematic. I think the tuner is actually in the rear amp/tuner assy and gets the signal directly. The front control just tells the tuner to go up/down to the next station. The antenna may actually be a 5 volt operated control system. I don't know for sure.

Yup, sure enough, I missed looking at that schematic.
I wonder if I can drive the antenna signal to the Orange/Lt Blue wire with the output of the aftermarket stereo. I seem to recall from this thread, or another that I read, that the polarity is reversed to raise and lower the antenna. Given that there is only one wire shown going to the power antenna, that doesn't seem possible.
Any idea what the actually wiring at the antenna looks like?

Any idea what the actually wiring at the antenna looks like?

I sent a pin out diagram, of the power antenna module, to your PM inbox. Maybe that could help get you the answers you are looking for? :dunno:

Thanks for sharing the pinout. I'll compare it to the one in the car and post a picture here so that others can see the module (and thereby avoid any potential copyright issues).

I have a 1995 explorer limited,can anyone tell me how to install aftermarket radio or give me a wiring diagram for it. I hooked up new head unit,but I can't seem to locate speaker wires or how to get power to the jbl premium amp

The speaker wires are located behind the right rear panel (the lower connector on the amp has the wires to the speakers, if I remember correctly). What I ended up doing was pulling the panel off and cutting and splicing wires so that I could get the wires up front to coincide with the the correct speaker wires, then directly wiring those to the harness of the JVC radio I installed. I bypassed the JBL stuff entirely. I think I still have the wire pairs written down somewhere. I'll try to find them and post them here for all.
I also had to get an adapter for the antenna wire, which also runs to the back, but which has a connector behind the right front kick panel. At this point, I powered the antenna to the up position and left it there. I am going to see if I can get the antenna circuit to work with the radio, but I'm not looking forward to getting back into the rear panel.
FWIW, the system sounds great with just the aftermarket radio driving the factory speakers. I was worried the speakers wouldn't match up in impedance and power requirements, but that was not the case. It's a good solid aftermarket installation the way I did it.

Stereo wiring for 2001 Explorer

Hi, I'm after some info on the wiring colours for the three connection plugs that were plugged into the back of my 6006G head unit in my 2001 Explorer. I've picked up a Kenwood DPX440 double din unit and want to match them up etc without a wiring adapter.
Thanks,
Cam

I am installing a new stereo and need to bypass the factory amp in my 92 Eddie Bauer. Does anyone know what wires go together. I have 2 boxes, one is black the other silver. The silver has a Red and yellow larger gauge wires going into the silver box and 3 wires coming out at the bottom (2 black 1 silver), going back to the bottom of the black Amp. where would these 3 wires go if i am bypassing this amp? My truck has a Sub woofer in the rear? If anyone has a wire diagram or a link for or my truck in reference to the Amps, please let me know.

excellent thread, i was wondering if anyone could tell me why my 2000 radio has a lead wire to the V.S.S. ? not trivia, im just wondering what the purpose is

excellent thread, i was wondering if anyone could tell me why my 2000 radio has a lead wire to the V.S.S. ? not trivia, im just wondering what the purpose is

speed controlled volume - offsets the higher level of noise during hig speed driving.

ok, ill buy that, anyone know why ford elected to have a "hot in start only" wire on the radios with the internal amp ? in addition to already having the 12v constant and 12v switched.

i found a hot in start only circuit off one of the GEM plugs, assigned for a seat memory module, mine are the older style seats and i dont believe they have memory foam so i'll use that circuit (add to that i wont be using the memory module anyway) LOL

Need help with 98 explorer aftermarket HU install

Hi Everyone,

I just purchased a 98 Explorer XLT. I purchased an aftermarket Clarion DDIN HU and it only has one connection on the back. When I pulled the factory HU out (CD & Cassette HU) it had 2 connectors. I also purchased a Metra explorer specific harness that matches the wire colors of the aftermarket HU, but I dont know what to make of the 2nd connector. When I leave it unplugged the new HU wont power on.

Here is a pic:
1998FordExplorerWiringHelp.jpg

hey i have a 1995 explorer EB and i need to know where the speaker wires are from vehicle so i can put in my after market deck!!! im getting all screwed up!!! i just need to know where to look and where to find them thank you!!!

hey i have a 1995 explorer EB and i need to know where the speaker wires are from vehicle so i can put in my after market deck!!! im getting all screwed up!!! i just need to know where to look and where to find them thank you!!!

Does your Explorer have the premium sound system? If so, you're probably going to have to go into the right rear panel and rewire the harness. It's not too big of a job, I think it took me about an hour or two to get it completely done. See my message above for a synopsis of what I did.

Chuck

yea it has the JBL system in it

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I'll see if I still have my handwritten wiring diagram, though I may have thrown it away.

Chuck

Back