New 2011 on dealer lot fair price? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

New 2011 on dealer lot fair price?

TheTigs

Reaction score
City, State
Michigan
Year, Model & Trim Level
2012 Explorer Limited
Newbie on this forum -

Currently considering getting an Ex and I have come across some 2011 new on dealer lots still.

Here is one example:

Silver

Specs:
Limited FWD with options
302A
Floor Mats
2nd Row Buckets
Dual Panel Moonroof
Second row Console
Trailer Tow
20" Polished Aluminum

MSRP $45,680.00

Right now price out the door includes 6% tax, title, etc. $41,880 before $750 consumer cash or $41,130 after consumer cash. Starting with X plan.

Any thoughts from the experienced Ex owners out there?
What do you all consider a fair price for a new 2011 and is it worth buying with 2013 already on lots?
I read something in here ysterday about a possible paint problem on the silver - is that correct?

I had a 1991 Ex and loved it, currently have a 2005 Durango Limited loaded but would like to get better gas mileage.

Thank you in advance, appreciate it.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome to the forum.

For that price you can get a nice 2013 with nearly all the teething problems worked out.

I would first make sure all the TSB's have been done before buying. I would really push for a lower price than what it is currently priced. Remember the 2013 Explorers are starting to arrive in bulk and the dealer needs to move that two year old car out.

Example would be the dealer here in Austin where I bought my 2013 xlt has on the lot an 2013 Explorer limited with your specs plus the Blis system in black for 39735 plus TTL out the door. Subtract the 750 from ford and you have a smoking deal on the current model being sold. Mention the Carpro show and can get about 3k off that price.

Last new cars of previous model years should be very cheap. Example is my mothers ram. 03 quad cab listed for 46k. Last on the lot and is a dealer demo with 5k on the odamiter. When we got through negotiating the final price was 18k plus ttl.

Look at the 13's first before going back on that 2011.

Welcome to the forum.

For that price you can get a nice 2013 with nearly all the teething problems worked out.

I would first make sure all the TSB's have been done before buying. I would really push for a lower price than what it is currently priced. Remember the 2013 Explorers are starting to arrive in bulk and the dealer needs to move that two year old car out.

Example would be the dealer here in Austin where I bought my 2013 xlt has on the lot an 2013 Explorer limited with your specs plus the Blis system in black for 39735 plus TTL out the door. Subtract the 750 from ford and you have a smoking deal on the current model being sold. Mention the Carpro show and can get about 3k off that price.

Last new cars of previous model years should be very cheap. Example is my mothers ram. 03 quad cab listed for 46k. Last on the lot and is a dealer demo with 5k on the odamiter. When we got through negotiating the final price was 18k plus ttl.

Look at the 13's first before going back on that 2011.

Please provide the link to this 2013 explorer limited with 302a package and everything else listed for under $40k that is not a demonstrator vehicle in Austin.... That is wayyyyyy under Dplan for a 2013 loaded up explorer, which does not make sense.....

Thanks in advance.

http://www.leifjohnsonford.com/details/New+2013+Ford+Explorer+Limited+1FM5K7F84DGA54125+Austin

Leif johnson ford austin. 4900 off list price. 301a package is what is listed on the sticker.
44635 is list on it.

Also in our area we have a carshow radio program called 'the Carpro SHow' that is heard in Texas and California. The host is a retired dealer.

He has worked our a no haggle deal with dealers in the listen area such as Leif Johnson Ford. In my case, I bought a 2013 XLT. List 37950 with 500 rebate and the 750 coupon plus the Carpro no haggle deal I got 7500 off total. Deals my vary depending on how you haggle(got a tow package free installed on my ex).

Look around you can find smoking deals. Also when you shop, shop on the last day of the month for even better deals. The dealer will be trying to make numbers on the last day of the month.

Thanks for the link. That makes more sense and the price includes the $1,000 rebate, so without the rebate it is at $40,735 ($3,900 off list price before discounts). Still not the 302a the 2011 had and the 302a is upgraded even more on the 2013. Good deal if the package is what you are looking for. 302a is a $3,000 higher price than the 301a package.

Thanks for the link. That makes more sense and the price includes the $1,000 rebate, so without the rebate it is at $40,735 ($3,900 off list price before discounts). Still not the 302a the 2011 had and the 302a is upgraded even more on the 2013. Good deal if the package is what you are looking for. 302a is a $3,000 higher price than the 301a package.

True but what I am getting at is the 2011 on the lot is a 2 model years old. You should be able to get the price down even more since the car is 'old' and the dealer needs the space for the 2013 models.

Only Caveat I would put on the 2011 is the teething problems with that model year. If you buy it just amke sure the TSB have been done.

I agree- I wouldn't get a 2011 at this point, just get the current financing and deals on a 2013 that has some issues worked through already. I just find it odd that any dealer has a 2011 on a lot with no miles when they were selling them faster than they could get them for the first year after release to production.

Newbie on this forum -

Currently considering getting an Ex and I have come across some 2011 new on dealer lots still.

Here is one example:

Silver

Specs:
Limited FWD with options
302A
Floor Mats
2nd Row Buckets
Dual Panel Moonroof
Second row Console
Trailer Tow
20" Polished Aluminum

MSRP $45,680.00

Right now price out the door includes 6% tax, title, etc. $41,880 before $750 consumer cash or $41,130 after consumer cash. Starting with X plan.

Any thoughts from the experienced Ex owners out there?
What do you all consider a fair price for a new 2011 and is it worth buying with 2013 already on lots?
I read something in here ysterday about a possible paint problem on the silver - is that correct?

I had a 1991 Ex and loved it, currently have a 2005 Durango Limited loaded but would like to get better gas mileage.

Thank you in advance, appreciate it.
Welcome to the Forum TheTigs. :wavey:
I tend to agree that you might want to look more seriously at the 2013 model.
The 2011 seems a little on the high side. I got my Limited, AWD with the 302A package for just over $50K (CDN) in March of 2011.
Technically it is only a 1 year old vehicle but because the 2012 was a 'short' model year, it is 2 model years old.
There are quite a few TSB's on the 2011 and you cannot just ask to have them all done. Most problems have to be reproduced by the dealer and in many cases, only one or two may actually apply to a vehicle. The only one that I have had done is the TSB for the random windshield wipe issue.
You may also want to consider a 2012 since the 2013's are now showing up on the lots.
I don't recall seeing a thread about silver paint issues. There was a picture posted of a problem with the Explorer a member had just picked up but I believe that was just a single incident.
Good luck. Happy shopping.:)

Peter

Appreciate the feedback. I think the price is a little high myself, but on the other hand a used 2011 with same options with 10k - 18k miles areound here are for sale at $37,500 - $39,500 and selling for $35,500 - $37,000 +TTL. The 301A option with buckets, tow, no 2nd row console is asking $33,400 w/18k miles.

My state tax is 6% so right now this is at $39,180 - $750 Ford cash is $38,430 + TTL ($2700) - If I did this I would try to get another $2k between my trade and lower price. Dealer said they would take care of all TSB's. Truck was built 12/2010.

I'm also going to inquire about same specs in 2013 on X plan due to the early teething problems as mentioned.

Thanks again, appreciate any add'l feedback.

Hope you plan on keeping it a long time. Car depreciates by 2 years the second you drive it off the lot. You need a killer deal.

Hope you plan on keeping it a long time. Car depreciates by 2 years the second you drive it off the lot. You need a killer deal.
That's not unusual. I believe that would apply to most vehicles. I've mentioned before that my $50K Limited has a residual value of just over $19K after the 4 year lease is up. Now that was based on 20K kilometers (approx. 12,500 mi) per year. Since I'm only averaging around 8,000 km (5000 mi) per year the salesman said it would be worth quite a bit more on the market. Depending on what's available at that time, I may buy it out myself, considering that they (Ford) will return my $6200 refundable deposit at lease end so I'm actually only taking an extra 13K + tax out of my pocket.

Peter

We buy any car.com would pay 26,200$ for that truck with the least miles at 1000. So about half price.

Buy an Acadia.
Why? The Explorer is a great vehicle. Just because you and a few others have had more than your share of problems with it doesn't mean it isn't a good vehicle overall.
The majority of owners are very happy with it ans I am sure that there are also quite a few Acadia owners who feel the same way about their vehicle the same way you do about the Explorer.
It is unfortunate and I sympatize with you but it is not a reflection of the product as a whole.
BTW, the Acadia isn't exactly a stellar performer. It has yet to make Consumer Report's recommended list. Previous models have been below par in reliability.

Peter

Why? The Explorer is a great vehicle. Just because you and a few others have had more than your share of problems with it doesn't mean it isn't a good vehicle overall.
The majority of owners are very happy with it ans I am sure that there are also quite a few Acadia owners who feel the same way about their vehicle the same way you do about the Explorer.
It is unfortunate and I sympatize with you but it is not a reflection of the product as a whole.
BTW, the Acadia isn't exactly a stellar performer. It has yet to make Consumer Report's recommended list. Previous models have been below par in reliability.

Peter

+1

I will love Fords & explorers to the day i die. regardless of the few lemons that pop out.

forget that government funded garbage

Again, appreciate the feedback. Here's where I'm at with a NEW 2011 - just under $38,000 out the door before any trade. It was suggested to look at the 2013, but to duplicate the same 302A package and options is going to be in the $44,000 range.

Thoughts on price? Thoughts on early build 2011 model?

Thank you again,

TheTigs

Again, appreciate the feedback. Here's where I'm at with a NEW 2011 - just under $38,000 out the door before any trade. It was suggested to look at the 2013, but to duplicate the same 302A package and options is going to be in the $44,000 range.

Thank you again,

TheTigs
According to you original post, that looks to be more than $7K off the MRSP. Hard to say if that is a good deal now that it is 2 model years old. You should browse the Internet and see what if anything similar is available in your area and see what they are asking.
As for the early 2011 builds, there is no question that some of them have had more than their share of problems. Overall, I think the majority have been fine. Mine was built in Feb. 2011 and I have had a bad front right sensor replaced, had the 'random windshield wipe' TSB done, the MFT performance upgrade and the latest cooling fan reprogram done.
Depending on what you plan to trade and its value, perhaps you can get them down closer to the $35K mark if you don't do a trade-in and do that sale privately.

Peter

According to you original post, that looks to be more than $7K off the MRSP. Hard to say if that is a good deal now that it is 2 model years old. You should browse the Internet and see what if anything similar is available in your area and see what they are asking.
As for the early 2011 builds, there is no question that some of them have had more than their share of problems. Overall, I think the majority have been fine. Mine was built in Feb. 2011 and I have had a bad front right sensor replaced, had the 'random windshield wipe' TSB done, the MFT performance upgrade and the latest cooling fan reprogram done.
Depending on what you plan to trade and its value, perhaps you can get them down closer to the $35K mark if you don't do a trade-in and do that sale privately.

Peter

Yes $7K off MSRP is with taxes out the door. Before taxes it's like $35,700 which is $10K off MSRP. I'll work on it.....

forget that government funded garbage

This irratates the $hit out of me. They paid the $ back. Its an American company that needed help.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Thank you again,

TheTigs
I think its still too high. But its your $. If you plan on keeping it for a long time, it makes a little more sense.

Back