rpenner54

Moderator Emeritus
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
Wichita KS
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 Merc
Hey all KS folks. Is there anyone around the Wichita area that could help out my daughter. She is staying at my folks's house and has run into a rough running problem with her '95 Ford Explorer. I replaced the o2 sensors before she lft but was not able to do any more. If anyone has a ODBI scanner for it that could be kind enough to help her out I would appreciate it. If not I will have her and my dad take it to a shop.

Thanks in advance!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Looks like Turdle is about 2 hrs away, but maybe he knows someone closer??

Hmmm, 2 chain stores which may help are autozone , or, o'rielly auto parts. They have scan tools. I kinda thought there was a way to read codes using a paper clip????

I'm 2 hours away from there. Let me know if I can help.

isnt techieman in wichita?, and 95 was the obd1.5, so the paperclip method wont work, and autozone may not be able to read the codes either

isnt techieman in wichita?, and 95 was the obd1.5, so the paperclip method wont work, and autozone may not be able to read the codes either

It will work, I've done a few times on my '95 to get the most glaring and useful codes out. It won't pull the transmission codes though. Autozone won't be able to help.

If she were in Wichita Falls I'd offer to help, but KS is a bit of a drive from me.

I was in her shoes two weeks ago and I paid a shop in Canon City, CO 20 bucks to pull the flashing OD code on my ancient X.

Well at least it's got a stick. I am thinking it's something on the top of the motor to do with air-intake. I just hate being this far away. It will probably go to a shop and I will just have to pay.

She gets worried about these things so I thought I would see who was close by.

Wichita

I'm on the sw side of wichita, hoover& macarthur area. If be happy to take a peek at it. I'll be at the kids baseball game tonight til like 830 though. Leaving in about an hour or so. Tomorrow I'll be at work til 330, so someone in there would be fine.,, most of my tools are in my big box st the shop though, but if its something minor I can probably figure it out. Uk have to learn how to flash codes on a 95 though, lol.

Nice! She is in the sameish area as you then. She is in Goddard, but right on the border of the town limits. Let me know what works best for you. I am not in a hurry just would like someone who knows Explorer's to look at it first. I will PM you here later tonight after I talk at her again to see if we can setup a time.

Do you work in a shop out there?

I work at Sears in the auto center. Its mostly brakes suspension and alignments that we do there. Tires too.

Try unplugging the MAF and see if that makes a difference. I had one fail on me in the middle of a road trip and once unplugged it ran well enough to get to a store.

Well thanks for all the help guys. My dad has a guy that he trusts and has had work done there before and will just take it there. I was trying to do the help from 600 miles away thing and I probably should've just called him first. :)

Will let everyone know how it turns out.

No worries man, hopefully its something simple.

Back