• Register Today It's free!

Crash Record Module - Black Box??

tropicvi

Reaction score
City, State
St Croix, US Virgin Islands
Year, Model & Trim Level
2008 Range Rover HSE SC
The dealer has told me the devices which record data on the Ford Explorer, particularly the crash record module (which they say only FORD can read) can only be removed for analysis after a vehicle has been repaired. Sounds fishy to me. Since when is an aircraft rebuild before they analyse crash data? My wrecked Explorer has been removed to an independant yard for now. I am looking for advise on how and when the data boxes can be removed and how they are analysed. Give NHTSA begining to look at the steering issue of 2011 Explorers, I don't want to lose critial information due to an improper handling or repair job. I am also hesitant to go by the dealers suggestion of methodology wherein the car is repaired, modules are replaced. How do I know the recorded data module won"t end up under the business end of a sledge hammer. At this stage, I am inclined to find out where it is in the car, and have it sent to NHTSA directly. Comments?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

It's actually called the Event Data Recorder or Restraints Module. It only records data of about 30 seconds or so (not sure the exact number) and is continually writing over the data with new. It will only store data and not record anymore if one or more air bags deploy.

Since you own the vehicle the EDR is your property and the data cannot be retrieved off of it and used against you in court without a search warrant. It can be taken out and replaced with a new one by a repair shop and the old one returned to Ford. I'm not really sure what you would get out of the info off of it. They only record from certain sensors such as steering wheel angle, throttle position, brake and yaw sensors leading up to and during air bag deployment.

Law Enforcement has the ability to retreive that EDR data without a warrant in some Motor Vehicle Incidents.

Police Accident Re-constructionists are trained with special software given to them by Ford to retreive this data.

If you want the data off it and are seriously concerned about the dealership tampering or removing it you should contact the investigating officer who may be able to assist.

Its a job for csi !!!

Did your airbags even deploy in the accident? If not, there will be no data to recover off the module.

I am intrigued by this for a couple reasons. First, all vehicles after 2004 (or so) have to have the ability to record events leading up to a crash. I am unsure of the exact details, and most individuals are not even aware that this capability even exists. My question is, "If all newer vehicles have this capability, is it automatically hooked up"? I was under the impression that I would specifically have to hook the module up to have that capability. For instance, my wife and I own an 08' Ranger and an 07' Edge. What happens if we are involved in an accident and are unaware that this technology exists? How can we tell if it is fully functioning? Can you imagine if everyone that has this feature, takes out the box for analyis, and then fights the accident charge claiming, for instance, "a red light wasn't run", "speed wasn't over 25 mph", etc.? On a side note, an insurance company based here in Ohio, called Progressive, allows a policy holder to have a special box hookup that records all events behind the wheel. As a result, the owner of the vehicle can have lower auto insurance premiums if his/her driving style is considered "acceptable" by the company. However, I would not want my info. analyzed, and everything is checked, such as time spent in vehicle, rate of speed, highest speed, etc. It isn't an invasion of privacy if I agree to "this experiment" thinking that I'm a safe driver, but how would I know that the info. isn't manipulated? Last, it is unforseen the future problems that can occur if one of our vehicles are taken in for repair. I think technology can be too much at times.

Read your owner's manual it explains about the event data recorder and how it works.

I am intrigued by this for a couple reasons. First, all vehicles after 2004 (or so) have to have the ability to record events leading up to a crash. I am unsure of the exact details, and most individuals are not even aware that this capability even exists. My question is, "If all newer vehicles have this capability, is it automatically hooked up"? I was under the impression that I would specifically have to hook the module up to have that capability. For instance, my wife and I own an 08' Ranger and an 07' Edge. What happens if we are involved in an accident and are unaware that this technology exists? How can we tell if it is fully functioning? Can you imagine if everyone that has this feature, takes out the box for analyis, and then fights the accident charge claiming, for instance, "a red light wasn't run", "speed wasn't over 25 mph", etc.? On a side note, an insurance company based here in Ohio, called Progressive, allows a policy holder to have a special box hookup that records all events behind the wheel. As a result, the owner of the vehicle can have lower auto insurance premiums if his/her driving style is considered "acceptable" by the company. However, I would not want my info. analyzed, and everything is checked, such as time spent in vehicle, rate of speed, highest speed, etc. It isn't an invasion of privacy if I agree to "this experiment" thinking that I'm a safe driver, but how would I know that the info. isn't manipulated? Last, it is unforseen the future problems that can occur if one of our vehicles are taken in for repair. I think technology can be too much at times.

All the progressive snapshot records is, time of day, miles driven, speed and hard brakes. It can't do anything with the data except analyze how much you drive, what time of day you drive, and how hard you are on the brake pedal.

It's actually called the Event Data Recorder or Restraints Module. It only records data of about 30 seconds or so (not sure the exact number) and is continually writing over the data with new. It will only store data and not record anymore if one or more air bags deploy. .

I know that was the case when they first came out and their was very limited computer memory in the vehicle. Since then In Vehicle Technology has come a long way and the computer systems have a whole lot more available memory than ever before.

I have to wonder if the vehicles hard drive, SSD or whatever they are using now has a partition which stores more info than when they were first introduced. Sure would like to find out.

It amazes me that we buy vehicles which have technology that can be used against their owners.

I think technology can be too much at times.

I agree 100%. Engineers think this stuff up, and manufacturers do all they can to find a use for it so they can profit from the R&D. They do not give a damn about the social implication of how the new technology may affect society.

"1984"

I see it as a way for Manufacturers to defend against bogus claims like Audi's unintended acceleration and Ford's Firestone tires. If these recorders had been in those cars back then, driver error would have been evident, and all the ambulance chasers wouldn't have gotten rich.

It is used for accident reconstruction purposes. Good explanation on page 12 of the 2013 owners manual. It could actually PROVE you were not at fault, too!

It amazes me that we buy vehicles which have technology that can be used against their owners.

I really don't see how it makes their use against their owners. The technology doesn't make you do illegal things or provide false information. It simply states what actually happened in an accident and eliminates the blame game. People tend to "forget" what actually happened before and during an accident. Black boxes just help to find out the truth.

Most new vehicles have them, and yes, the data store is about 30 seconds. So, in an inoperative post-collision situation the 30 seconds is available. However, the cautionary note is that in an OPERABLE post collision situation, DO NOT turn the key on for any reason, as the 30 seconds of data relavent to the collision, will be lost as it is over-written with new irrelevent data..

It's actually called the Event Data Recorder or Restraints Module. It only records data of about 30 seconds or so (not sure the exact number) and is continually writing over the data with new. It will only store data and not record anymore if one or more air bags deploy.

Since you own the vehicle the EDR is your property and the data cannot be retrieved off of it and used against you in court without a search warrant. It can be taken out and replaced with a new one by a repair shop and the old one returned to Ford. I'm not really sure what you would get out of the info off of it. They only record from certain sensors such as steering wheel angle, throttle position, brake and yaw sensors leading up to and during air bag deployment.
I disable my black box

How ???

Paint it a different color.

I'm sure the insurance company just loves the " black box delete "

I know that was the case when they first came out and their was very limited computer memory in the vehicle. Since then In Vehicle Technology has come a long way and the computer systems have a whole lot more available memory than ever before.

I have to wonder if the vehicles hard drive, SSD or whatever they are using now has a partition which stores more info than when they were first introduced. Sure would like to find out.

I agree 100%. Engineers think this stuff up, and manufacturers do all they can to find a use for it so they can profit from the R&D. They do not give a damn about the social implication of how the new technology may affect society.

"1984"
I disconnect my black box on my 2011 Ranger 😉

I'm sure the insurance company just loves the " black box delete "
I really don't see how it makes their use against their owners. The technology doesn't make you do illegal things or provide false information. It simply states what actually happened in an accident and eliminates the blame game. People tend to "forget" what actually happened before and during an accident. Black boxes just help to find out the truth.
I disable my black box on my 2011 Ranger 😉

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back