Votes: 17 8.8%

• Total voters

dieselrocks

Reaction score
City, State
Cincinnati, OH
Year, Model & Trim Level
92 XLT 4x4
Interest in Diesel Explorer option for U.S.?

Just trying to gage the interest out there for a diesel option for the Explorer. Think about peak torque higher than the V8 gas option with 5-8 mpg better in the city. What would you be willing to pay for such an option?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

i'm not going to vote on this topic, but i would love the diesel explorer. but with the price tag i'd be better off with the F-250 SCrew 4X4 diesel that the family has. i'm not saying that it wouldn't be worth it, but with the extra $5,000.00 it would add to the price tag, you'd be better off getting a full size, IMHO.

i know not everyone is going to agree on this, this is my personal opinion so please don't hate, or flame or whatever

The purpose of this poll is to gage interest out there for a diesel version of the Explorer. This would obviously not be a heavy puller like a 7.3L SuperDuty, but assume it to have 300+ lb-ft torque (more than the V8 gas), 7-10 mpg better than the V8 in the city (more on-highway) and would cost no more than $2000 sticker over the base engine. Thoughts???

Well I voted, Sign me up... But I wouldnt be able to afford one... Thing is tho, I think they'd be really damn sweet... Diesels rock, and well, where I'm at, fuel isn't a problem for em.
Pete

I love diesels. We own two. A 2000 Golf TDI and a 2001 Ram Cummins.

Trouble is I wouldn't by a new Explorer (2002) design. I hate the IFS/IRS design. Now if they would revamp the Explorer sport, keeping the live rear axle and adding an FX4 option with the diesel I would be first in line.

I like diesels, unfortunately the diesel here is $1.50 a gallon and not many stations have it.

On a power standpoint I think it would be very interesting to see what Ford could come up with.

Merged the threads together, this way all the info can be kept on one thread. :D

I'd also like to send out a welcome to the site. I'm sure you'll find some great info here.

IMHO, the Explorer the diesel should have been put in was mortally wounded in 1995, and died in 2001. If the diesel had made its way into the 1st-generation, I would love one. Or even into the 2nd- and late-2nd-generation X. But in the 2002, it's too late for me, I don't care for the IRS/IFS arrangement.

If they made a deisel that fit into a new X, I'd consider buying the crate version and installing it in the elder model. (91-94)

i'd buy a turbo diesel explorer sport

I wouldn't own a diesel if somebody gave me one. They are to damn noisy, they stink like s***, disel where I live is always at least $.10 a galon more.

I would be interested in buying one if some the new particulate filters were introduced into the exhaust system that I have been reading about.

I would love one IF it were like a 91-94 or solid axles front and rear.

NO IFS/IRS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :fire:

I work for Chrysler as a tech at a dealership. The word I have been hearing is that, Chrysler is going to be using the Mercadies diesel in the Liberty and small vehicles like that. Maybe Ford and other companies will get the hint. You get tons of more power out of a diesel compaired to gas, even out of a smaller engine. Better fuel millege is another thing. Longer lasting engines. I have seen many engine go 1 million miles and then they rebuild and they go another million. So the benifits of diesel over gas are endless. Just my two cents. I know more about diesels, so if you got any questions I can try to answer them. Not saying I know it all, but I went to college for the repair of them.

Eric

As a diesel mechanic, I only see the advantages of having a diesel. Come on the average rebuild I see has 300,000 miles!

And who says they stink? That's just POWER.
Nothing like a diesel hunkering down with all that torque...PURE POWER.

You could sign me up...Think of what you could tow!!! Around here diesel is about 20-30 cents cheaper a gallon.

I hear a diesel V-6 is in the works for explorer/exped frame

Where did you get that from???Someone was trying to tell me that a while ago and there was no way i was believing it. Though, i would like to see it!!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I would be there. However I wouldn't buy one based on the reasons others listed. I want the engine only just so I could stick that in my current rig, then throw some propane on it and make it GOOOO...

Back