Flex fuel? | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Flex fuel?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Engine Type - 8th Position
VIN Code: K
Engine: 4.0 L
Cylinders: 6
Fuel: Flexible

Model Year - 10th Position
VIN Code: 5
Model Year: 2005

I'm pretty sure that they don't build state specific cars with the exception of emission specifications (in that case E85 would be the cleaner fuel) Believe it or not cars are allowed to cross state lines.

Well, FYI, actually Ford does do this. For example, in "Cold Weather" States, Ford puts in an engine block heater, for no charge. That's why I bought my Explorer in Wisconsin (cold weather State) and not Illinois. Among other reasons, like I could not find one (options & colors) near my home way back in early 2011.

Flex fuel, 85% ethanol = is cleaner and better? that is a joke. Its less efficiant, causing you to burn almost 20~30% more fuel to cover the same amaont of ground. 10% ethanol gas results in 20% less mileage for most, wake up america.

Its a joke, unless you are an unemployed corn farmer from the midwest, that votes.

Sorry for the rant.......

Flex fuel, 85% ethanol = is cleaner and better? that is a joke. Its less efficiant, causing you to burn almost 20~30% more fuel to cover the same amaont of ground. 10% ethanol gas results in 20% less mileage for most, wake up america.

Its a joke, unless you are an unemployed corn farmer from the midwest, that votes.

Sorry for the rant.......

LOL! I think you've needed to get that off your chest for awhile. I believe that the comment was that E85 is cleaner in regards to emissions. No mention of better at all. I happen to agree with you in regards to everything else...... Rant on!!

E85 is cleaner emissions???? By how much? What tree hugger fed you that line of BS?

You have to burn 30% more e85 over regular non ethanol gasoline. Fact: your fuel economy is worse the more ethanol % per gallon. It cost almost twice as much to refine.......Do the math this is about corn farmers not your car, air polution, or your emotion that you are somehow concerned about the amount of gasoline you use. You want fuel economy, well the answer is not ethanol.

Not directed at you, just the reasoning that some people have on ethanol

spitfisher said:
E85 is cleaner emissions???? By how much?

Not by much, in fact it's almost a tie. Ethanol is another farce. We should be advancing the cause for small, clean diesel power. Europe is a good example.

We need to break this country's insistence on 300 HP vehicles. More power isn't better.....

Well not to throw a wet rag on the benefits of ethanol but it takes around 50 gal of water to grow the corn for each mile of ethanol.

To add to this, studies have been done that estimate production of ethanol as a net energy loser. It requires about 98,000 BTUs of energy to create a gallon while producing 76,000 BTUs. This is from the day the seed goes in the ground until the ethanol leaves the refinery. In comparison gasoline takes 22,000 BTUs to create from drill to refinery and produces about 116,000 BTUs of energy.

Just a little food for thought, or in this case less food for thought.

Well, since everyone else is throwing in their two cents, here's mine. I'm a proud Midwesterner who comes from a Corn growing community with lots of jobs being supported by nearby Ethanol plants and farmers. I can see your points, but the larger point is that we have developed a fuel source that is renewable in case our faithful fossil fuels ever run out--while not the ideal solution to an energy crisis, it is a step in the right direction to finding alternative fuel sources. I appreciate your opinions, but please see mine--these "Corn Farmers" and Ethanol Plants are providing lots of people here with good jobs that a lot of people in the country don't have...so for that I'm thankful. Choose what you like at the pump, makes no difference to me, but I just thought I'd throw that in, since I'm someone who has seen the benefits of these plants and farmers first hand. Everyone has their opinion and I appreciate the statistics, it's good for us 'farmers' to see them too, but out here--the benefits outweigh the negativity.

I don't recall anyone on this thread or this forum for that matter, stating that ethanol was a silver bullet solution to an energy crisis.

You are all right.

Corn based Ethanol can not and will not replace gasoline in the US. The efficiency just isn't there. If its weren't for subsidies, it would likely die.

But, Ethanol is a nice alternative to imported oil and its a nice feature to have in your engine if you ever need/want it. Any chance to tell the OPEC countries to "suck it" is a win.

I'm just trying to find out whether the car I ordered will have that option or not. It seems that some do, some don't. Its definately not an option on the order sheet.

I remember reading somewhere in the owners manual that vehicles with Callifornia emissions do not have a E85 rating.

Our Ex is flex fuel. I believe that this was covered in another thread on the forum, but cars with California emissions seem to not have flex fuel engines.

Not by much, in fact it's almost a tie. Ethanol is another farce. We should be advancing the cause for small, clean diesel power. Europe is a good example.

We need to break this country's insistence on 300 HP vehicles. More power isn't better.....

I'm slightly confused. That V6 you own has a rating of 290 HP. Who exactly do you propose buy these other vehicles with less HP, if not you? By the way, I have tried to pull into traffic with some of the small 4s out there (110-150HP) and it can be a bit hair raising. Not to mention feeling like you are driving a glorified Pepsi can. This is not to say I love ethanol or flex fuel. We need to expect and demand better alternatives and the infrastructure to support them.

Our Ex is flex fuel. I believe that this was covered in another thread on the forum, but cars with California emissions seem to not have flex fuel engines.

You can buy vehicles with flex fuel engines here in California. My brothers Chevy truck is flex fuel. My Ex is not flex fuel though. I unfortunately work near an ethanol plant. I can't stand the odd corn smell I have to deal with every day.

That is a great example with Europe. I was there several years ago and I wish the American auto companies would make available the diesel engines they have over there here in the U.S. The gas mileage on those diesel engines is excellent. The biggest drawback is the power though. I am sure as you say the insistence of big HP vehicles is why we don't see these diesel engines here in the states.

liratoad said:
I'm slightly confused. That V6 you own has a rating of 290 HP. Who exactly do you propose buy these other vehicles with less HP, if not you? By the way, I have tried to pull into traffic with some of the small 4s out there (110-150HP) and it can be a bit hair raising. Not to mention feeling like you are driving a glorified Pepsi can. This is not to say I love ethanol or flex fuel. We need to expect and demand better alternatives and the infrastructure to support them.

I wanted the Eco Boost 4, but not available in the 4WD....sadly. It would have had plenty of power for my needs. A turbo diesel would be ideal, but alas...not to be from an American manufacturer. Nothing to be confused about.

You can buy vehicles with flex fuel engines here in California. My brothers Chevy truck is flex fuel. My Ex is not flex fuel though. I unfortunately work near an ethanol plant. I can't stand the odd corn smell I have to deal with every day.
I wonder why some 2013 models are flex fuel and some are not?? Is flex fuel limited to FWD models only? Curious, if other brand vehicles in CA are available with flex fuel, why not the Explorer?

Peter

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

That is a great example with Europe. I was there several years ago and I wish the American auto companies would make available the diesel engines they have over there here in the U.S. The gas mileage on those diesel engines is excellent. The biggest drawback is the power though. I am sure as you say the insistence of big HP vehicles is why we don't see these diesel engines here in the states.
If you want off the line speed, get a gasoline engine. If you want low end torque and pulling power plus better mileage, a diesel will do that.
From what I gather watching those car show programs, most Americans won't buy cars with diesel engines. I think that is likely due to a lack of understanding about the modern diesel engine.

Peter

Back