Aftermarket wheels | Page 7 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Aftermarket wheels

Wheel

Wheel pic.

Explorer4.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

FYI for those thinking os having two sets of wheels.

Spoke to the service department today regarding swapping out rims between winter and summer wheelsets. Said they would recommend ordering 4 new stem TPMS for any aftermarket rims instead of trying to move them to the new set of rims and there would be a $20 fee each time to reprogram the set (all four) TPMS stems when the wheels were swapped out. Not bad if you ask me.

I am comtemplating a wheel/tire package for my Ecoboost Explorer XLT. I have two different packaghes I am considering and wondered what you guys though would look best:

a) a 20" wheel with low-profile tires that would give a more aggressive stance; or,

b) 19" wheel with an off-road looking tire (BF Goodrich All-Terrain), and slight lift/leveling kit, push bar and KC's.

Which would you guys think would look better? I could go for either, but would like some outside thoughts...

Well, it's not really an offroad vehicle, so I think those would look out of place.

Secondly, you don't really go low profile with 20's, as those are the stock sizes, and there is plenty of tire. If you want low profile, go 22's.

Sorry, I meant low profile as.in 40 - 50 series.

I am comtemplating a wheel/tire package for my Ecoboost Explorer XLT. I have two different packaghes I am considering and wondered what you guys though would look best:

a) a 20" wheel with low-profile tires that would give a more aggressive stance; or,

b) 19" wheel with an off-road looking tire (BF Goodrich All-Terrain), and slight lift/leveling kit, push bar and KC's.

Which would you guys think would look better? I could go for either, but would like some outside thoughts...
With option 'B' you may run into warranty issues if you start messing with the suspension, etc.
If going to a larger tire, make sure that you stay within the recommended 3% diameter difference. Just remember that the larger wheels and tires are also much more expensive. I have the 20" on mine and wish they had an option for smaller wheels. I use the 17" base Explorer wheels for Winter and they look just as good. In my opinion.;)

Peter

actually.........

my wife has decided that she does not like the wheels so, unfortunately, I will be going back to the stock 20s and will be selling the Helos with the stock Hankook tires. The Hankook tires only have about 350 miles on them and the wheels are only 2 weeks old. If anyone is interested please PM me for more info. Thanks.

my wife has decided that she does not like the wheels so, unfortunately, I will be going back to the stock 20s and will be selling the Helos with the stock Hankook tires. The Hankook tires only have about 350 miles on them and the wheels are only 2 weeks old. If anyone is interested please PM me for more info. Thanks.

Is the Explorer yours or your wifes? Who drives it more?

Welcome to the Forum tbo3374. :wavey:
The wheels look really good. I assume the tires are 265/55R20? I tried to find that on 1010tires.com and although they do show that tire, I don't see the Terra in a 55 size? The Tire Rack doesn't list Nitto on their website.

Peter

Have you tried Discount tire (discounttire.com I think).

I like the Helos against the white.... Nice.

Nice Russian Expy.

Have you tried Discount tire (discounttire.com I think).

I like the Helos against the white.... Nice.

Nice Russian Expy.
I was just looking to see what the tire looked like and what kind of rating customers were giving it. I wasn't looking to buy. I actually swapped out the Hankooks for Yokohama Parada Spec-X tires the day I picked up the Explorer from the dealer.
BTW, the Helos are now up for sale.
Thanks.

Happy Canada Day to all fellow Canadian members.:ca::party:

Peter

Hey all,

Diggin' this thread as I'm looking to do the same w/our 2012 Sterling Grey Limited. So far really liking the looks of the Ford Factory Edge Sport Wheels and maybe painting/coating the black portions more of anthracite/platinum/grey color to tie it in with body color. But cvillanu's wheels bring the Shelby GT 500 + Hockenheim + BBS look which gives it a very race ready + tough tank look. A winner in my book. A++

Cvillanu, a couple questions, sir...what was the offset & weight of those 22" Falken RT-7Ms and are those 265/40/22 you mounted on them? Those wheels are badass and look good against your Sterling Grey Ex; great choice, btw.

Everyone, all the pics are great and the side & 3/4 views show the wheels well, BUT, what I was hoping to see here were/are some straight on rear & front shots, that way you can see the track/stance better, especially when decreasing the offset or adding width to the wheels/tires. So, bring on the butt shots! [just please, no more donk shots!]

I know this thread is mostly about wheels, but I was first planning on replacing the Hankooks on the factory 20"s next year and possibly going a little bit wider, like to 275/50/20. Let me know if anyone has any opinions on that size, experience, brands you like, etc.

Lastly, are all the factory 2011+ Explorer 20 x 8.5 wheels +42 offset? And are the 22x9" Edge Sport Wheels +44mmt/offset? Would that 2mm increase in offset[moving wheel inward] + the extra .5" cause it/them to rub somwhere in-bound [suspension/brakes, etc]?

Thanks for being there!

Mahalo,

Mike [isiwibi]

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hey all,

Diggin' this thread as I'm looking to do the same w/our 2012 Sterling Grey Limited. So far really liking the looks of the Ford Factory Edge Sport Wheels and maybe painting/coating the black portions more of anthracite/platinum/grey color to tie it in with body color. But cvillanu's wheels bring the Shelby GT 500 + Hockenheim + BBS look which gives it a very race ready + tough tank look. A winner in my book. A++

Cvillanu, a couple questions, sir...what was the offset & weight of those 22" Falken RT-7Ms and are those 265/40/22 you mounted on them? Those wheels are badass and look good against your Sterling Grey Ex; great choice, btw.

Everyone, all the pics are great and the side & 3/4 views show the wheels well, BUT, what I was hoping to see here were/are some straight on rear & front shots, that way you can see the track/stance better, especially when decreasing the offset or adding width to the wheels/tires. So, bring on the butt shots! [just please, no more donk shots!]

I know this thread is mostly about wheels, but I was first planning on replacing the Hankooks on the factory 20"s next year and possibly going a little bit wider, like to 275/50/20. Let me know if anyone has any opinions on that size, experience, brands you like, etc.

Lastly, are all the factory 2011+ Explorer 20 x 8.5 wheels +42 offset? And are the 22x9" Edge Sport Wheels +44mmt/offset? Would that 2mm increase in offset[moving wheel inward] + the extra .5" cause it/them to rub somwhere in-bound [suspension/brakes, etc]?

Thanks for being there!

Mahalo,

Mike [isiwibi]

Hey Mike! That's exactly the look I was going for with the Falken tires and rim combo.The offset is 35mm. Unfortunately, this wheel only comes in this offset size and bolt pattern. Would have been nice to have the wheels flushed to the fender. Still about an inch to cover the difference. Currently looking for wheel spacers to get the stance I was looking for. I would have also gone with 285 instead of the 265/40/22 I currently have on but wasn't sure if it would fit the rim. Overall I'm happy with the look. Might try that combo later when its time for a change. Good luck with the wheel hunting!

Back