So I am down at the local boat supply | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

So I am down at the local boat supply

mahieber

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
League City, TX
Year, Model & Trim Level
'92 XLT 4x4
...looking for some 3" tubing that I can use to make a custom air intake. I want to redirect mine so I can put the dual battery where the airbox was. Looking on the wall, I see this bilge vent fan that says it will move 1050 CFM and it costs $49.50 and fits a 3 inch hose. I am sitting here thinking whether or not $49.50 is worth the experiment to see if I found a poor man's Ram Air/Turbo charger/Camp site Blow Dryer.

I live down in a big sailboat/marina district on Galveston Bay, and these boat stores are all over. They look to be a real good source for some high-quality electrical components like switches, swith panels, battery clamps, etc, since just about everything on boats is 12 or 24 VDC and they have to worry about salt water corrosion.

Getting back to the real question, for all you college kids that are learning to integrate the area under the curve. At 3000 RPM, how much air is my 4.0 Liter V6 sucking though the throttle body?

Attachments

• bilgevent.jpg
    bilgevent.jpg
    6.7 KB · Views: 208

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Save your money. If it was that easy, why would anyone pay $2-4K for a real turbo or blower. The vent fan is made simply to MOVE air from one place to another, a blower or turbo PRESSURIZES the air greater than atmospheric pressure in a given volume to allow more fuel to be burned, which = more power with no increase in displacement. The cheap vent fan idea will do nothing but make your wallet $49.50 lighter.

I think it might have some effect. Probably not a lot, but maybe a slight "ram-air" effect? But it's probably not really worth it. I'd like to see a twin-turbo kit for the 4.0.... muahaha...

i won't pretend to understand this, but i would be interested to find this out as well, cause after talking to the dynomax techs and gettin totally confused, i did retain that exhaust is all rated in cfm and that the higher the better according to them, so it would make sense that the same would be true on the intake side...ie: the reason we go with the kkm open air filiments

So I am checking out this site...

at http://www.autophysics.com/ and I see a filter that has the following statement:

"ALL AutoPhysics filters flow a minimum of 1000 CFM and are available in a wide range of sizes to fit on your existing intake system for higher flow rates and thus more power. Let your engine breathe!"

But what I really like is the "Quick Change Unit" which comes with the hose I have been looking for to help redirect my intake and get some ram air too...

This conical filter design looks like it has a better design than KKM. Has anyone seen these on an X?

p.s. I haven't given up on the electric motor idea yet, especially if it can really push 1050 CFM.
:D

Attachments

• qc2.jpg
    qc2.jpg
    25.6 KB · Views: 196

"last night i was hangin a picture over my toilet, i slipped and fell, hittin my head, when i awoke i thought of this....
(/l\)... the flux capacitor!!!!"

actually i'm only 1/2 kidding - i was thinking last night about hookin/mallard taping a flex tube to the end of my kkm and routing the feed to the front to see what it might do?

i'll let you know what happens.....yesterday!!!!!

A friend of mine actually did a test with a 1200 CFM fan on his VW. Below 2000 RPM, it created about 1 lb of boost, between 2 and 4k, didn't do anything, and above 4k RPM, restricted the intake greatly.

There are many aftermarket companies selling fans like that, they don't really work.

Alec,

You know what it is like to be in the heat down here, you don't think it would help suck in cooler air from outside of the truck and at LEAST give some better throttle response? I don't drive over 4k RPMs. With the 31x10.5's and the 3.73 gears in Overdrive, I cruise at about 2k.

The drawing I included earlier dosen't do this thing justice, it doesn't look like that one, it looks more like a disposal motor like under your sink.

I doubt that I will try it, I have like 2193 things to do before I get to that one. I have contacted Autophysics to see if they would be interested in helping me design a better intake than the stock plastic plenum which would point the filter elsewhere so that I can get my second battery where the stock airbox was. If they are interested, I will document the project and post it.:bounce:

Nah,
This won't really help you out. At any time above 10mph, you're getting more air than most fans can pull anyway. All the fan will do is restrict your intake. And it wouldn't do anything if it was before your filter, cause the air has to go through the filter anyway. Trust me, here in Austin, r"a"cers will try anything for more power. A few have tried the ERam, which is basically a fan between the MAS and TB, and they all say it's a bunch of crap. Also, they can mess with the computer as they cause turbulence in the airflow through the MAS, and pressurize the air against the TB butterfly.

something you have to make note of,,

is that the type of fan and motor your refering to, is indeed made to move air,, and not to shabby amounts of it at just over 1000cfm,, But!,, this fan is also designed strictly to "move" air and not to compress it,,
when you put a straining force on that motor to compress air your not going to move nearly as much as you will when under no load other then free flowing air which it is designed to,,
the only electric motor and fan that i can think of that would realy make a super charging affect would be that of a high powered leaf blower,,,
these motors are designed to not only move lots of air,, but to have the power to force it fairly hard as well, now for this to be "controlled properly" it would have to be under the control of a fairly high amped electronic speed controller linked to a line of things including vacum and trottle, but, this is also a high powered electric drawing system,, which unless had it's on power source aside from the vehicals power system wouldnt gain much due to straining and probably ruining part of the vehicals electrical system, like the alternator for starters lol.
but anyway now that i have exsplained al this in laymans terms,, may as well let you know im working on designing such a charger,, as costs add up however, it would be better in the long run buying a vortech or other modern charger,,

Back