Is Your A/C Really Cold on Lo temp or Max A/C Setting ? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Is Your A/C Really Cold on Lo temp or Max A/C Setting ?

JFUSION

Reaction score
City, State
Ontario
Year, Model & Trim Level
This is the start of our summer season and first hot temp use of my 2012 Explorer. In two weeks I'm taking a road trip with my family to Florida and the Southeast U.S. and I am a bit concerned of my a/c temp output.

My air conditioner has never felt really cold on the lowest temp, it is cool and it will keep the truck cool at my favourite temp of 23 degrees celsius , but the fan seems to run on the high side for long periods of time in auto mode at that temp setting which isn't a very low temp. But I just don't find the air all that cold at lower temp settings when I switch it to max a/c or Lo temp when I first get into the truck. I recently drove my sister's 2011 Ford Edge and it has that very cold temp feeling at the Low temp setting which my truck doesn't exhibit. My 10 year old Honda also feels colder though it doesn't have auto temp controls.

I am going to get my dealer to check it before my trip but I was wondering if others get that really cold air flow at low temp settings.

thanks for any replies.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

We have been in the hi 90s all week and I feel the same way vent temps seem on the hi side will have to get a reading. Keep in mind vent temps will be lower at a lower fan speed and will increase a few degrees with the fan on hi. Just doesn't seem to be able to handle even 90 degree temps and most of the USA has seen temps in the 100s already this year. We have already had the fans replaced and the recall to reprogram. Our f250 work truck will freeze you out.

Max A/C circulates the air in the cabin instead of drawing 90 plus degree air from the outside and trying to cool it down. We had 90 plus all weekend and Storm got cold real quick. I start the rig up with Max A/C and have to turn it down a little about 5 minutes into the ride.

This is the start of our summer season and first hot temp use of my 2012 Explorer. In two weeks I'm taking a road trip with my family to Florida and the Southeast U.S. and I am a bit concerned of my a/c temp output.

My air conditioner has never felt really cold on the lowest temp, it is cool and it will keep the truck cool at my favourite temp of 23 degrees celsius , but the fan seems to run on the high side for long periods of time in auto mode at that temp setting which isn't a very low temp. But I just don't find the air all that cold at lower temp settings when I switch it to max a/c or Lo temp when I first get into the truck. I recently drove my sister's 2011 Ford Edge and it has that very cold temp feeling at the Low temp setting which my truck doesn't exhibit. My 10 year old Honda also feels colder though it doesn't have auto temp controls.

I am going to get my dealer to check it before my trip but I was wondering if others get that really cold air flow at low temp settings.

thanks for any replies.
I have mine set at 22 Celsius and have no problem with using the A/C setting without going to Max. This is also during periods of 30 - 33 C (86 - 92 F) with high humidity. Have not taken a temp reading from the side vents. The middle vents are kept closed.

Peter

Memphis has been cooking lately with (as always) insane humidity. I too am having issues with mildly cold temp on max ac and recirc.

Curious to know if any ac boost stuff would help.

Mine on Max just about freezes me out after 5-10 minutes. Nice and cold!!

Normally on AUTO/recirculate with the A/C set around 70F the thermometer in my vent shows between 40-45F degrees. At startup and on AUTO/recirculate with an outside temp around 90F it runs about 60F for the first 2-3 min before it cools down. The other day it was over 105F outside and the EX was having trouble cooling on MAX setting while stopped, the thermometer showed about 65F for a good 10+ min until I got moving, each time I stopped it would struggle. It deffintally performed differently enough that day to get me to look under the hood and verify both fans were running. The engine temp never climbed but the A/C was deffintally at it's performance threshold.

Thanks for all of the replies, seems like some people have the same experience I have. I get cool operation from my a/c system I just don't get to the point of the system freezing me out like I get from other vehicles I own. I also notice that reducing fan speed manually makes the air temp seem colder. Maybe the system is moving too much air through the vehicle. I might try to measure vent temps over the next while.

I don't find the A/C in our Ex to be very cold. It gets the job done, but if you get in after the car has been sitting in the sun, the A/C struggles to cool it until you get moving down the road. Just sitting there, the A/C is kinda feeble, but given enough time, it starts to cool down. This is one aspect that I am not impressed with on this vehicle. Having said that, once it hits its stride, it will freeze you out, even on the hottest days.

Here in kuwait (Middle East) the tmp is 48c=118f >> and i can see my Ex the its not cold :( take 10 minute when drive to get cold :(

Mine used to be very cold, set to AUTO at 73 degrees the blower would ramp up initially then slow down rather quickly to the point it was almost silent, but after having the PCM reprogram done on the engine fans, it takes much longer to get down in temp and the blower stays running on high for 5-10 minutes before it finally starts to slow down, but never gets down as low as it used to.

My previous "my temp" was set to 73 and it was just right. Now, set to 73, it feels warm and I have had to lower the "my temp" setting down to 70 to get it to feel the same as before.

I ran mine today for 15-20 minutes in the max a/c mode, I put a thermometer in the driver side vent and it read about 65 degrees, it wouldn't get cooler than that. I think that is a bit on the warm side for out going vent temps, just a guess though.

I ran mine today for 15-20 minutes in the max a/c mode, I put a thermometer in the driver side vent and it read about 65 degrees, it wouldn't get cooler than that. I think that is a bit on the warm side for out going vent temps, just a guess though.

That is pretty warm. Were you driving around, or just sitting still idling?

It has been my experience that when it is 80 degrees outside, the main dash vents should run around 45 degrees. I read that somewhere on the net, and can't remember if it was vehicle specific or a general guideline. That's what I have measured my Legacy putting out.

That is pretty warm. Were you driving around, or just sitting still idling?

It has been my experience that when it is 80 degrees outside, the main dash vents should run around 45 degrees. I read that somewhere on the net, and can't remember if it was vehicle specific or a general guideline. That's what I have measured my Legacy putting out.

thanks Vince, today it was about 15 minutes of driving, and then I went home and did five minutes of idling with the temp probe in the dash vent.

I read in another post on a previous generation Explorer someone stating that reducing temps by 30-35 degrees F from ambient is about what the average air conditioner system can expect to run. Today temps were 90-95, so I would be in the 30-35 degree reduction range if that is an accurate way to estimate performance, though it doesn't feel cold enough IMO.

I'm in Myrtle Beach, and its in the mid to upper 90's. A/C hasno trouble keeping up, and add in the cooled seats and it gets cold real fast.

I have the temp set at 72 F (22 C). After idling the Ex in the garage for about 8 minutes the air temp from the driver's left bottomed out at 50 F (10 C). This was with Max A/C. Outside air temp in the garage was 72 F and 79 F outside.
Even when temps here hit low 90's I never used Max A/C.

Peter

...But I just don't find the air all that cold at lower temp settings when I switch it to max a/c or Lo temp when I first get into the truck...I am going to get my dealer to check it before my trip but I was wondering if others get that really cold air flow at low temp settings...
Have you had a chance to have it checked by the dealer yet, JFUSION?

...Just doesn't seem to be able to handle even 90 degree temps and most of the USA has seen temps in the 100s already this year. We have already had the fans replaced and the recall to reprogram. Our f250 work truck will freeze you out.
I still have your details from before, jeff59rt1; for me to assist, please send a PM with your current mileage.

...We had 90 plus all weekend and Storm got cold real quick. I start the rig up with Max A/C and have to turn it down a little about 5 minutes into the ride.
I have mine set at 22 Celsius and have no problem with using the A/C setting without going to Max...
Mine on Max just about freezes me out after 5-10 minutes. Nice and cold!!
...Having said that, once it hits its stride, it will freeze you out, even on the hottest days.
I'm in Myrtle Beach, and its in the mid to upper 90's. A/C hasno trouble keeping up, and add in the cooled seats and it gets cold real fast.
RonJrSVCMGR, Peter, JDraper, VinceL, & harlenm,

You guys are “cool!” Thanks for posting your experiences. :)

...I too am having issues with mildly cold temp on max ac and recirc...
I recommend taking your Explorer to the dealer for a diagnosis, jcerrion. I can help by forwarding the details to your regional Customer Service Manager. Please be sure to PM me your contact info, dealer name/state, mileage, and VIN.

...The other day it was over 105F outside and the EX was having trouble cooling on MAX setting while stopped, the thermometer showed about 65F for a good 10+ min until I got moving, each time I stopped it would struggle...
Have you considered getting it checked by your dealer, onaropus? Send me the above details and I’ll lend a hand.

Here in kuwait (Middle East) the tmp is 48c=118f >> and i can see my Ex the its not cold :( take 10 minute when drive to get cold :(
entra6,

Because you live in Kuwait, I recommend calling the Middle East Customer Relationship Center @ +971 (0) 4 3326084 for further assistance.

My previous "my temp" was set to 73 and it was just right. Now, set to 73, it feels warm and I have had to lower the "my temp" setting down to 70 to get it to feel the same as before.
No need to sweat, cnsheets. Drop me a line via PM and I’ll arrange a follow-up. From previous messages, I have your VIN so you only need to send your mileage.

Cory

Have you had a chance to have it checked by the dealer yet, JFUSION?

I still have your details from before, jeff59rt1; for me to assist, please send a PM with your current mileage.

RonJrSVCMGR, Peter, JDraper, VinceL, & harlenm,

You guys are “cool!” Thanks for posting your experiences. :)

I recommend taking your Explorer to the dealer for a diagnosis, jcerrion. I can help by forwarding the details to your regional Customer Service Manager. Please be sure to PM me your contact info, dealer name/state, mileage, and VIN.

Have you considered getting it checked by your dealer, onaropus? Send me the above details and I’ll lend a hand.

entra6,

Because you live in Kuwait, I recommend calling the Middle East Customer Relationship Center @ +971 (0) 4 3326084 for further assistance.

No need to sweat, cnsheets. Drop me a line via PM and I’ll arrange a follow-up. From previous messages, I have your VIN so you only need to send your mileage.

Cory

haha thanks cory. so many quotes!

i actually tooksome advice from here and adjusted "my temp" to 70F and it cooled much quicker than just hitting maxAC. I would suggest this to anyone trying to find an immediate solution. This summer is gonna cook some of us! If anyone wants this god awful memphis humidity please let me know ill send it your way.

I have not tried MyTemp yet (just got the rig 6 days ago). I think I will try it on 69...

:chug:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back