Windshield Sunshade for Explorer? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Windshield Sunshade for Explorer?

Reaction score
City, State
AZ
Sunshade Recommendation?

Does anyone have a sunshade they can recommend? It is starting to get hot here in AZ and I figure I better pull the trigger on one soon before i start to regret it. I found a heatshield brand sunshade on amazon that looks pretty nice since its custom fit, but i'm not sure i'm ready to drop $40 on one. Figure I would try to get a recommendation here before paying that price.

http://www.amazon.com/Sunshade-EXPL..._1?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1334627188&sr=1-1

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I know it's difficult to shallow, but $40 might be a good find. As long as it is a custom fit and good quality. I bought the weather tech, really enjoy it, but that was $70. :eek:

I was looking for a twist fold up Ora pop up, had a one piece for the f150, now I can't find them anywhere.

I have the 2 colapsable screens I purchased from WalMart. X-Large size. Probably less than $10. Works great.

I have the 2 colapsable screens I purchased from WalMart. X-Large size. Probably less than $10. Works great.
Ditto, except I picked up 3 pair last night for about $10/pair at Pep Boys. Two "huge" pair going in my Mustang (yeah, it sits outside), and one "extra huge" pair going in the 2013 LTD. I need to get another "extra huge" pair for my 2010 F150.

My only suggestion is to get one that is made of fabric rather than the type that has reflective Mylar on it. The Mylar type throws the heat right back into the windshield and from my experience, makes the interior hotter than the fabric type which is non-reflective.

My wife insists on using the Mylar type and I burn my hands on the dang thing. It may protect the dash from direct sun, but it sure doesn't seem to do anything about keeping the interior temps down.

Can anyone recommend a windshield sunshade for the Explorer? I've tried several from an auto parts store and Walmart, but I returned them since they didn't fit. I saw some listed on Ebay, but I'm a bit hesitant to purchase since the vehicle in the picture isn't a Ford Explorer, but it says it fits.

I'm contemplating a CoverCraft UVS100 Heat Shield (model UV11172SV - which is custom patterned to fit the 2011+ Explorer) but I haven't purchased it yet so I cant offer any opinion. Also, it's not cheap. Approx $50.

http://www.covercraft.com/uvs100.html

Have one, don't really like it, keeps window surface hot, looking for new sun shade

I found this one:

http://www.heatshieldstore.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=43&products_id=919

Here is a picture of it on the Explorer:

http://www.amazon.com/Sunshade-EXPLORER-HEATSHIELD-Windshield-custom-fit/dp/B004L7J9ZU

The 3 reviews are good on Amazon for this sunshade. I think I am leaning towards purchasing this sunshade. I found several others, but they were pretty pricey. One was over $80 and the other was $60. I'm not going to spend that much for a sunshade.

UPDATE:

I went ahead an ordered the sunshade from Heatshield. I'll take pics and let everyone know how it is. I should receive it fairly quick since the company is here in California.

I finally received my Heatshield sunshade. I've been using it all week. I really like it a lot. It has made such a difference with the temperature in my Explorer. It's been in the 100's all week here, so it's been nice to step into a cooler vehicle and not an oven. It fits perfectly in the Explorer. Here are some pics of the sunshade.

photo2-M.jpg

photo3-M.jpg

I'm bumping this to see if there's a cheaper sunshade available at Wal Mart or an auto parts store (like Discount Auto Parts or AutoZone)...

'Glad "boltsfan17" posted that photo of the sunshade, (above).

If you happen to have a 2013 Ex Limited w/ the 302A pkg, you have that forward facing digital eye camera that works with the "lane keeping lane assist" auto steering feature. That camera is right in front of the rearview mirror and could get in the way of a sunshade.

His photo indicates that that is not a problem.

Thanks!

Great lead boltsfan17.
I ususally get my stuff @ http://ceebaileys.com/, select automotive products. They do sunvisors for airplanes and have also automotive products. I have a set from my previous EX 2009. When I called them the other day they do not have for the EX 5th Gen. Their set not only covers the windshiled but also the driver and passenger windows.

2013 Explorer best sun shade/visor?

So Im in Houston and its about to get really hot here. I have a 2013 XLT with black leather interior. Im looking to get a sun shade/visor for the front windshield. Lots of auto parts stores have the cheapy ones, but does anyone recommend any a little bit better that may have a better fit with our cars?

Thanks,
-Todd

So Im in Houston and its about to get really hot here. I have a 2013 XLT with black leather interior. Im looking to get a sun shade/visor for the front windshield. Lots of auto parts stores have the cheapy ones, but does anyone recommend any a little bit better that may have a better fit with our cars?

Thanks,
-Todd
Welcome to the Forum PHOTOGRAPHER.:wavey:
Maybe it's just me but I can't understand anyone wanting a black vehicle or interior in places that are prone to heat and lots of sun. I have a white Ex and you won't believe the difference in the temperature of the body itself. I was parked beside a black Ex and both were in direct sun light. I could hardly hold my hand on the black one while mine was no problem. Anyway, everyone has their own preference and I'm getting off topic which I tend to do at times. I have done a 'search' for you and have come up with a coupe of threads you may want to look at. I hope they may help;

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=361204&highlight=sunshade

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=353200&highlight=sunshade

Good luck Todd. Stay cool my friend. :):thumbsup:

Peter

Sunshade

I use a Walmart "large" sunshade, it fits well, covers all gaps. It can let some light across the bottom, but it pretty much covers the entire windshield area. Folds flat, is heavier than the Med or Small sizes, $14.
So far its not flaking - no bits of silver mat falling off all over the interior.

I tried the Weathertech sunshade, which is just like the Covercraft, custom fit and all, but it was a roll up shade and way too thick to roll or to handle in the car.
It would hit everything and was heavy enough to move the mirror if it was hit while rolling it up. Could barely pack it away without breaking a sweat in the heat after removing it to drive lol. It was such a project using it and putting it away..

The Covercraft looks awesome, you can fold it up flat and it has some colors, and a little bag to keep it flat and stored.
It is very thick though, it wont fold away flat like the cheapies. It will be a flat plank about 3" thick that cant be bent to store.

The Heatshield sunshades look nice, and you can get front driver/passenger window shades as well. The main sunshade looks thinner than the 2 above, looks easy to put away, but cant tell and the pics dont show the side windows or any close ups.

While we have multiple black vehicles because we like the look,
we rarely park in the sun as both offices have covered parking and we have three garages at home :)

but, we are in the rv world too and one of the first things you do is get a 'reflective' screen for the sunny side... some even go to the lengths of making their own out of 'reflectix' :
http://www.lowes.com/pd_13358-56291-BP48025_0__?productId=3011906

(Many do all windows as well and you can use the remainder to line your garage doors !!!)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

BTT, anymore comments on the Covercraft product?

Back