• Register Today It's free!

TPMS Pairing Method

generaltso

Reaction score
City, State
Vermont
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 Explorer Limited AWD
Hi All. Can somebody direct me to any instructions on how to pair new TPMS sensors with the Explorer? I already have a universal TPMS triggering tool, but I assume the Ex needs to be put into "pairing mode" before it is ready to learn the new sensors? Every car I've had has had a different pairing process, so I'm sure the Ex is a little different. Thanks!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hi All. Can somebody direct me to any instructions on how to pair new TPMS sensors with the Explorer? I already have a universal TPMS triggering tool, but I assume the Ex needs to be put into "pairing mode" before it is ready to learn the new sensors? Every car I've had has had a different pairing process, so I'm sure the Ex is a little different. Thanks!
Are these the TPMS units that came with the vehicle? If so, they should already be registered in the Explorer's control module, or whatever they call it.
I just have the dealer do it when I swap the All Season and Winter wheels so I'm not sure how they do it. Sorry that I can't help with that bit I'm sure someone will get back to you with the info.

Peter

Are these the TPMS units that came with the vehicle? If so, they should already be registered in the Explorer's control module

The sensors that came on the vehicle are already registered. But my plan is to buy a second set of wheels with TPMS sensors and snow tires so that I can swap them back and forth myself every season.

The sensors that came on the vehicle are already registered. But my plan is to buy a second set of wheels with TPMS sensors and snow tires so that I can swap them back and forth myself every season.
Okay, I understand now. FYI, I bought the 2011 base model 17" steel wheels for my Winter 245/65R17 tires and store the 20" wheels at the dealer. The 17's here were $99.95 each but another member in the U.S. I think said they were asking $300 each there.

Peter

Okay, I understand now. FYI, I bought the 2011 base model 17" steel wheels for my Winter 245/65R17 tires and store the 20" wheels at the dealer. The 17's here were $99.95 each but another member in the U.S. I think said they were asking $300 each there.

I usually just get a set of alloys from Tire Rack for not much more. They've got 17" alloys for $109 and I think the 18" are just a little more.

I think I saw the instruction on how to put it in "pairing mode" on the Tire Rack website. I was planning to buy the tool from them and I think the instructions were in a manual or something there. (It was several months ago and I haven't gotten around to buying the tool yet. I had the vehicle at the dealer both times I wanted them changed so I got them to do it.)

Not sure about the Explorer, but I know on my Expedition, it was a series of brake pumps and key turns in a specific order that initialized the pairing mode.

when I bought my winter rims I ordered Ford sensors from my dealer parts counter, I gave the guy my VIN number and he ordered me the same frequency sensors as my summer rims. We never had to do any pairing , the truck started up and I drove away like normal.

when I bought my winter rims I ordered Ford sensors from my dealer parts counter, I gave the guy my VIN number and he ordered me the same frequency sensors as my summer rims. We never had to do any pairing , the truck started up and I drove away like normal.

That's odd. My Dodge works that way, but everything I've heard about the Ford system is that the new sensors need to be paired. Have you switched back and forth between the wheels in both directions?

Now you tell me. Where were you 16 months ago??;)
I didn't know you could do that. It makes sense that if you can order new/additional sensors with the same frequency that there wouldn't be a requirement to have to do any programing. I'll keep that in mind for future reference. Thanks.:thumbsup:

Peter

That's odd. My Dodge works that way, but everything I've heard about the Ford system is that the new sensors need to be paired. Have you switched back and forth between the wheels in both directions?

Yes I have switched back and forth. When I had my winter rims and tires installed the tire shop told me I might have to take the truck back to Ford to pair them, but we never had to.

I should test one sensor by letting some air out to make sure they are working but I think they are fine as I've never had any warning light come on.

I should test one sensor by letting some air out to make sure they are working but I think they are fine as I've never had any warning light come on.

Let me know what the results of your test are. Don't let too much air out, because you may have to drive on it for a few minutes for the light to come on.

It's quite possible that Ford has implemented a full auto-learning function, and I'd be quite happy if that's the case.

Let me know what the results of your test are. Don't let too much air out, because you may have to drive on it for a few minutes for the light to come on.

It's quite possible that Ford has implemented a full auto-learning function, and I'd be quite happy if that's the case.

Oh I just remembered that the new sensors are on my winter rims and they have been off the truck since March.:scratch: I know my summer rims work fine as I had a slow leak in one tire and it set off the sensor at 24 psi.

But I also followed the same procedure for my sister's Ford Edge, we bought the new sensors for her winter rims based on her VIN # and they matched the frequency to the factory ones and hers never had to be paired either.

I also followed the same procedure for my sister's Ford Edge, we bought the new sensors for her winter rims based on her VIN # and they matched the frequency to the factory ones and hers never had to be paired either.

Just having sensors on the same frequency isn't enough. There are only a handful of frequencies that are used by all TPMS sensors across all brands. The serial numbers of the sensors need to be paired to the car so it doesn't report on the car driving next to you.

That being said, some cars have the ability to pair with new sensors automatically after driving on them for several miles. My Dodge Journey has this ability. I'm really hoping the Ford does as well.

I drive about 3 times the miles that the average driver puts on in a given year, in the the five months I used my winter rims I didn't have any warning light come on. Correct me if I am wrong but if the sensors aren't accepted by the vehicle it would throw a warning light, which then would require them being paired ?.

If you are going to buy sensors either way you might as well try to match up the frequencies. If you are having rims installed at a Ford dealer it probably doesn't matter, but if you are having them installed at an aftermarket tire shop it could save you a few bucks and a reduced trip to the Ford dealer. Just saying.

I drive about 3 times the miles that the average driver puts on in a given year, in the the five months I used my winter rims I didn't have any warning light come on. Correct me if I am wrong but if the sensors aren't accepted by the vehicle it would throw a warning light, which then would require them being paired ?.

Correct. I would expect the TPMS light to flash if the sensors weren't paired to the car, unless the TPMS system isn't working at all. You could tell for sure by letting some air out of one of the tires and making sure the TPMS light comes on. I guess you can't really do that though until winter.

My Dodge shows the tire pressure in each tire, so it's easy to tell when the auto-pairing switches over to the winter wheels. Since the Ford system only activates if a tire is low, that would be the only way to test it.

...... Since the Ford system only activates if a tire is low, that would be the only way to test it.
That is the same way my 3 previous Toyota Highlanders worked as well.

Peter

If you are going to buy sensors either way you might as well try to match up the frequencies. If you are having rims installed at a Ford dealer it probably doesn't matter, but if you are having them installed at an aftermarket tire shop it could save you a few bucks and a reduced trip to the Ford dealer. Just saying.

Getting sensors that operate on the correct frequency is a given (315 MHz for the Explorer). Sensors that operate on a different frequency than the vehicle could never be made to work.

I'm planning to buy winter wheels, tires, and TPMS sensors from Tire Rack. I'll see if they pair themselves this winter. If not, I'll follow the procedure outlined to pair them to the Ex. Either way, it will be much cheaper than buying them from a Ford dealer.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

That is the same way my 3 previous Toyota Highlanders worked as well.

Yeah, that's how most cars work, which is really unfortunate. All cars with TPMS know the exact tire pressure. But there are very few that actually display that info to the driver. It's probably because they don't want to have to use localized receivers to determine which tire is at which location. It's much easier to just report that one of the tires is low and let the driver figure out which one.

Back