Getting really tired of this game

GregV8

Reaction score
City, State
Long Island, NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
2011 XLT
OK I think I've just about had it.
After more than a year of having to put up with the buggy MFT system, I have started looking around to trade my Explorer for something else.
Yes, I've had the update. Yes, it has improved a little bit but it's still slow and locks up frequently.
I am just really tired of it. Spent enough time going back to the dealer already.
I refuse to invest another minute of my personal time into repairing something that shouldn't be broken in the first place.

Thought about just getting a '13 EX (because mine is an early '11 model) but I don't want to take any chances ending up with the same problem again. I am a long time loyal Ford customer and as much I'm trying to remain one it looks like I have no choice but look elsewhere.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Sorry to hear about your frustration, but I can understand it completely. Before you take the plunge, there is to be another update released in the near (maybe) future. Some have indicated some time in the 3rd quarter of this year. I would wait until that update before I decided to do anything concrete. With any luck, the update will fix what is wrong with MFT. If not, you will be trading in an Explorer with the most up-to-date and reliable MyFord Touch available, gotta be worth a few extra bucks on the trade ;)

After more than a year of having to put up with the buggy MFT system, I have started looking around to trade my Explorer for something else.
Yes, I've had the update. Yes, it has improved a little bit but it's still slow and locks up frequently.
I am just really tired of it. Spent enough time going back to the dealer already.
I refuse to invest another minute of my personal time into repairing something that shouldn't be broken in the first place.

Thought about just getting a '13 EX (because mine is an early '11 model) but I don't want to take any chances ending up with the same problem again. I am a long time loyal Ford customer and as much I'm trying to remain one it looks like I have no choice but look elsewhere.
There shouldn't be any difference regarding the MFT in a 2013 with the updated MFT in a 2011.
I haven't had any problems at all with my updated version and my Ex is a February 2011 build.
I wonder if the people still having problems with MFT may have something in common, ie phone, music downloads, etc. The MFT program is the same for everyone but yet a few have constant problems.

Peter

Maybe so. But after numerous service visits they should have figured it out. I'm not willing to put more time into their trial and error game.

Maybe so. But after numerous service visits they should have figured it out. I'm not willing to put more time into their trial and error game.

There would not be a difference in the 2013 in terms of hardware/software. However, if your APIM module were defective in your 2011, moving to the 2013 might actually solve your problems. ;) (minus the trade in cost)

Sorry to hear about your frustrations. That is definitely understandable wanting to buy another vehicle. As Vince mentioned, maybe you should wait until the next update and see if that fixes your issues. I have a 2013 Explorer and MFT has worked great for me. Out of curiosity, what would you get if you decided to trade in your Explorer?

Sorry to hear about your frustrations. That is definitely understandable wanting to buy another vehicle. As Vince mentioned, maybe you should wait until the next update and see if that fixes your issues. I have a 2013 Explorer and MFT has worked great for me. Out of curiosity, what would you get if you decided to trade in your Explorer?

Probably an X5 or a grand cherokee.

I appreciate that the hardware is the same - I'd like to ask 2013 owners vs 2011 owners if, at least statistically, they see any improvement in MFT. (bugs, issues, speed)
I'm beginning to think mine is a lemon, as I cannot imagine anyone else would accept these issues as "normal".

GregV8 said:
I appreciate that the hardware is the same - I'd like to ask 2013 owners vs 2011 owners if, at least statistically, they see any improvement in MFT. (bugs, issues, speed)
I'm beginning to think mine is a lemon, as I cannot imagine anyone else would accept these issues as "normal".

2011...we haven't seen a reboot since the upgrade. The MFT is performing well, along with the rest of the vehicle. (no steering, smell, transmission, overheating, etc. problems).

2011, not one black screen, reboot or lock up.

Sounds like the X5 would be a good choice..... :hammer:

2011 bmw x5 3.5 idrive (PROBLEM)
I don't see any posting for this model.
I bought my X5 in early September and right now i have about 5000miles only.
I'm very disappointed with BMW and will not buy from them every again and here are my reasons.

I paid $67500 OTD
since September i already bring the car back for over 6 times.
1st time less than 500 miles
the car was making some weird noise when i was driving. The tech said because they need to put some oil

2nd time was around 2000 miles.
My glove box jams its electrical glove box. The tech said the motor from it burn out and switch it out.

3nd time was two weeks after
the window on the driver side making some loud noise when i roll it up and i also mention about the key being not recognized. When i pick up the car the tech said to me that they replace another window. So weird! Looks used but oh well I’m already mad off enough about bmw services.

4th time was about 2300 miles
my steering wheel was making sound like people using their fingernail scratching the chalkboard. They fix it from putting some lube on it.

More and more problems happen

5th time was 4500 miles
it was my fault for expecting too much, BMW technology or whatever. I have own a 2007 GS350, 1998 BMW 740 (WORK GREAT), Lexus IS250, ACURA MDX. The X5 is the newest right now. I’m a lazy person and if they got me to start this post they got to be bothering me so much.
The sense to the car is just terrible (keyless) this problem been since i have the car. When i walk up to the car they stupid car wont sense the key 9/10 times seriously! ***12290; I have to stand there and wait and keep pulling the door handle over and over fighting with it for at least 30 sec to a min. when it’s raining believe i always get soak because of this problem.
Finally got the stupid car to unlock and i went in put on my seat belt and my wife strap my newborn to the car seat. 5/10 times (key not recognize) WTF. So i sit there and wait and sometime i have to walk out the car and walk away and come back just so the stupid car will turn on! Even when i was driving down the road sometime the light will pop up saying key not recognized. I have never seen car with such bad sensor my Lexus and my sister BENZ works like a charm b4 u get to the car the welcome light already turn on.

So after all this i went back to the tech and told them what have happen because I’m so annoyed by it. I only receive one answer. It’s the dealer in San Francisco. He told me were not as good as Lexus (because i mention bout my old GS350). The electronic part is not as good. In my head i was thinking how u can say such a thing. So irresponsible wtf so you telling me your **** is worse than Lexus hint me that i got screw over from BMW. So they said we will take a look but I’m sure they didn’t and call me back in an hour and pick up my car. I wonder if the cooperate find out what he said to me, what would happen to him. Anyway i wouldn’t think i could type all this out.

6 time little over 5000 miles.
I’m thinking if i should bring it in i made an appointment telling them what happen and i got a schedule it’s going to be the same BS i totally lost my hope in the car

the problem is the door i mean the whole car in general making sound like its breaking down crack sound my friend my family when they sit in they ask what sound is that? For a new car? i don’t know how to describe the sound usually for old car when u drive up a curb side way when the car is unbalance those are the sound I’m getting everyday.im getting that sound every day when i hop in the car and its getting worst and worst!!! .**** MY LIFE!!! my sales person call me last week about to see if I’m ready to buy the 3 series for my wife after she gave birth i totally let it out on her. All the problem i have and the service i get from BMW I’ll pass will never consider BMW anymore in my life. For the price this car is SO SO SO cheaply made. It’s just the matter of time i will post it to sell it. I rather spend money on another Lexus. How much i Miss Lexus i miss my old car it’s getting old but doesn’t give me a single problem.

And yeah my drive start giving me problem... wont load DVD after reading for 5-10min it stop and spit out the DVD and reset itself.

And the Grand Cherokee sounds like a good choice, too... Just one of MANY issues with the Grand Cherokees... :hammer:

2012 Grand Cherokee Tran problems
Hello all

Just picked up a 2012 Grand cherokee Limited auto with 5.7 Hemi. All was well first week I had it, then one day driving down the road after leaving my house I noted that it was in 4th gear. After multiple attempts of getting it in drive (neutral to drive, park to drive, shutting off and restarting) Jeep still stayed in 4th gear, then CEL came on. Luckily I was on the way to the dealer to get the inspection sticker they forgot. Per them the codes that came up for the CEL was related to low voltage of the battery, which they state tripped the Jeep into Safe mode which locked it in 4th gear. They reset the computer and was good until 4 days ago. Backed out of my driveway, put in drive...in 4th gear. Shut off restared and ws fine, no CEL. Same thing happened today. Has anyone had this issue. Dealer is at a loss so far?

#

04-10-2012, 09:27 AM # #2
Sheila
#
#Profile
#Gallery
#Classifieds
#My Jeeps
jeep problems
We have several problems:
I feel the gears slipping , then the service 4 wheel drive light comes on. When this occurs several things do not work - cruise control etc - anything on dash. Then it will get stuck in 1st gear. This can be corrected by turning it off - resets.
The gear slipping gets worse and worse until it can't be driven. Have been back to the deal at least 5x, 2 different dealers. They can't fix it.
This is a Jeep grand Cherokee, outlander with hemi.
#
04-10-2012, 11:33 AM # #3
Dotter43
2012 #
#
#Profile
#Gallery
#Classifieds
#My Jeeps
That's odd. I have not experienced any of that.....yet. If I do, they'll have a nice used jeep parked on thier lot with my money back. It's just annoying that you spend 43+k on a vehicle and it constantely has to be back at the dealer to be fixed
#
06-12-2012, 01:25 PM # #4
vectorw8015
2012 #
#
#Profile
#Gallery
#Classifieds
#My Jeeps
2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland Transmission slip
Hi,

You are not alone. We ordered a 2012 Overland with the 5.7L and the new 6 speed transmission. We love the vehicle with the exception of the transmission. We have a situation where the transmission has multiple failure modes. Ours will neutral out when crusing down the road on a flat level surface, It will neutral out in a turn. It also has what feels like a slip as you cruise at 55 to 62 miles per hour and you are under load (going up a slight incline) where it hesitates slips and jerks. It does this repeatidly until you are up and over the hill.

It is not going between eco (4 cylinder mode) and V8. Its in V8 mode when this happens. It does not down shift and up shift as this is happening. Its always in 6th gear.

We also get a hard shift between 2nd and 3rd gear under low RPM's.

We have had it in to the dealer 5 times now for the issue. We can replicate the problem on demand and we have no resolution to the problem.

#
06-12-2012, 05:57 PM # #5
smiket
2012 XJ Cherokee#
#
#Profile
#Gallery
#Classifieds
#My Jeeps
I also have the 2012 Grand Cherokee with 5.7 hemi -

My transmission is constantly shuttering and slipping, dealer even acknowledged it. This is normal according to Jeep - I'm so upset I wasted money on it and there is no recourse. There quality is terrible - no one should waste money like this...
#
06-13-2012, 06:26 AM # #6
vectorw8015
2012 #
#
#Profile
#Gallery
#Classifieds
#My Jeeps
Transmission Slip
Luckily for us ours neutrals out. Making it an unsafe vehicle. Our action of recourse will be lemon law for our Jeep. It is an unsafe vehicle. The dealership in our case has been test driving ours and the transmission neutraled out on him during a U-Turn. So we now have grounds for lemon law. If they do not repair our vehicle in the next week, that will be the route we will take.
#
06-13-2012, 09:16 AM # #7
GaryGC
#
#Profile
#Gallery
#Classifieds
#My Jeeps
Not knowing for sure, but I would guiess that Chrysler will first want to replace the Transmission before you seek the lemon law. If after that it does not work, then you might have some recourse. Hope it gets resolved for you to your satisfaction.
#
06-13-2012, 12:05 PM # #8
superserialMBP
2012 WK#
#
#Profile
#Gallery
#Classifieds
#My Jeeps
Seems like this is all related to the 6-speed on the Hemi...
06-13-2012, 12:33 PM # #9
vectorw8015
2012 #
#
#Profile
#Gallery
#Classifieds
#My Jeeps
Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryGC
Not knowing for sure, but I would guiess that Chrysler will first want to replace the Transmission before you seek the lemon law. If after that it does not work, then you might have some recourse. Hope it gets resolved for you to your satisfaction.
Fortunately for consumers we dont have to work under Chryslers time line for lemon law. Only 4 times in for the same repair without resolution. It is in the dealer as I am writing this for the 6th time. They still have no resolution for the problem. Once it comes home I will file and we will be on our way.

Unfortunately I am well versed in the Lemon law and know it inside and out. This will be my 4th Chrysler product that will be handled in this manner.
#
06-13-2012, 01:13 PM # #10
w1pf
Who, me?

#

2007 WK#
#
#Profile
#Gallery
#Classifieds
#My Jeeps
Sounds like your dealer isn't doing his job. It should have been escalated long ago.

I have a mental picture of Goober Pyle saying "Lookit all them wires!"

I wonder how you ended up with 4 lemon-law cases though.. statistics kinda argue against that..
Red WK #19, Hemi #68.. I think..
Durango Owners Club DOTY 2011
-------
"We're part of the fire that is burning, and from the ashes we can build another day"
#
06-13-2012, 01:33 PM # #11
superserialMBP
2012 WK#
#
#Profile
#Gallery
#Classifieds
#My Jeeps
You've had 4 Chrysler vehicles that qualified for lemon law status? As much as I like my WK2, if I had that much bad luck with one brand, I'd never buy them again.
06-13-2012, 03:21 PM # #12
tpm152
2012 WK#
#
#Profile
#Gallery
#Classifieds
#My Jeeps
Just curious: those who have had their transmission "neutral out" or stay in a low gear with the 5.7 hemi, do you have the trailer tow package with the trans cooler?

If its only happening in vehicles without the trailer tow package maybe the transmission fluid getting too hot and tripping the limp mode to keep the trans from boiling over?
#
06-13-2012, 04:09 PM # #13
ColdCase

#

2011 WK#
#
#Profile
#Gallery
#Classifieds
#My Jeeps
Limp mode locks the tranny into 3rd or 4th gear (may be able to use reverse), not neutral, even with a loss of oil pressure.
#
06-14-2012, 11:23 AM # #14
vectorw8015
2012 #
#
#Profile
#Gallery
#Classifieds
#My Jeeps
One Word: A plan.

Ours does have the trailer tow group also. Statistically I am the DCX devining rod for lemons. If you want to buy a new car, take me to the dealership with you and tell me which kind of car you want. Let me pick one on the lot and then buy any other car on the lot and avoid the one I pick like the plague. You will be a happy person.

1st car was a 94 Dodge Neon. It had 3 ECU's die on it, It had piston slap so bad my neighbors thought it was an 18 wheeler sitting in my driveway on cold mornings. The left front door speaker fell out, the cowell was not welded at the factory and when you would get in rain or wash the car it looked like a beautiful waterfall on the passenger side foot well. The list went on and on with that car. Magically I was lent a press car that was hand built for MT, C&D, and R&T to test drive and that car was flawless. I wont elaborate any more as that was an interesting situation. The replacement car was, shall we say a complete gem. I drove it for 137,000 miles with no issues.

Then I got the bright idea to trade it in on a 1996 Grand Cherokee Limited. That truck had a drivers seat heater that did not work. A CD player that failed 3 times, the clear coat sheeted off the paint on one side in a spray car wash, I left the other side for the dealer and Chrysler to peel off with their own pressure washer. That vehicle was out of service 40+ days in the first two months of ownership.

Its replacement was my 5.9L Limited Plus Grand Cherokee (1998) Needless to say that vehicle was a fine flawless example of a Jeep (I wont elaborate as to why). When at 45,000 miles some lady decides to take her brand new Eddie Bower Edition Ford Explorer (still with temp tag in the window from the dealer) and turns left directly in front of me. I dead centered her at 45mph and walked away without a scratch. Chalk one up for the boys at DCX that car saved my life and did it perfectly.

I then needed a replacement and decided that the next moron that pulled out in front of me, I would drive straight through. So I ordered my 1999 Dodge Ram One Ton Dually 4X4 with the Quad Cab and V-10. 7000+ lbs of beast. Unfortunately that truck would not make it 100 miles down the road before dumping all of its coolant out on the pavement. To the dealer it went. Freeze plug came out of the block, new one put in at the dealer and 7 miles down the road it dumped all of its coolant out again. Back to the dealer, install racing rubber freeze plug per chrysler techincal assistance and back on the road for all of 10 miles when that came out and emptied all of the coolant on the pavement again. It just wouldnt make it back home. Chrysler authorizes new lower end as the tooling that hogged out the freeze plug was worn and improperly maintained and several V-10's were experiencing the same problem I was. New block and I leave the dealer and the ECU fails before I even get home. Truck back in dealer and welcome to my 3rd lemon. Chrysler replaces that with a 2000 Ram 1 ton identical to my other one and it is a gem as someone special walks the line with her as she is built. Only one issue with that truck at 17,000 miles the entire body perfs through from the inside out and I am fed up with Chrysler vehicles. I am kind enough to trade that in at a Dodge dealer who also has a Nissan Dealer and we move to a Nissan Titan. Which currently has well over 100,000 miles on it without any issues and tows better than my 1 ton duallys did.

Fast Forward 8 years later and Girlfriend decides its time to test drive new cars as her 2007 GMC Yukon Denali now has 187,000 miles on it and she is ready for a new toy. She likes the Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland with the Hemi and we decide to order one up.

Fast forward and here we are. As for the dealer, his hands are tied, he has reported and escilated this as far up the ladder as he can. Chrysler will not authorize the trans to be replaced. He has done very well with trying to keep his customer happy. Its not a dealer issue. The car was built defective at JNAP and has problems. The dealer can only do what he is authorized to do by Chrysler. Otherwise if he replaces the transmission and torque converter on his own, he could end up eating the cost of those items and the labor. I wont put him in that position. He has been more than wonderful with customer service. I would highly recommend him to anyone.

My background is a little sticky as I am first and foremost an ASE Certified Master Mechianic, Secondly I am an Automotive Engineering Manager. So I am not your average customer. I know cars like the back of my hand. I Engineer them for a living.
Last edited by vectorw8015; 06-19-2012 at 07:25 AM..
#
06-14-2012, 11:33 AM # #15
eibyer
#
#Profile
#Gallery
#Classifieds
#My Jeeps
That was a read but quite interesting.
#

Ron, I thought this was a Ford forum? ;)

We have a 2013 and have had very few issues with MFT. It is a bit quirky now and then, but nothing that rubs either of us the wrong way. We use the voice commands A LOT with the music on our USB and Navigation and pronunciation can be a bit goofy sometimes. The way I say a word and the way MFT says a word can differ enough to make some responses from the system rather humorous. Overall, I give MFT a :thumbsup:

I've had mine for less than a week, so far no issues. Phone, Nav, USB, BT, Climate all ok. Speed is what I'd expect out of this type of system, no real lag between screens or commands. Boots up within a few seconds of starting. I'm pretty happy with it so far.

Probably an X5 or a grand cherokee.

The references to the X5 and the Grand Cherokee comment were the reason for those two posts. Just because you jump to another manufacturer does not mean they are trouble free. They have MUCH bigger issues.

The grass is not always greener... Exactly right.

But, I finally realize that Ford has some serious issues when the 2 largest issues ever- "the back of my truck is always dirty" and "the paint is scraping off my tailgate latch" reared their ugly heads. :D

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back