• Register Today It's free!

torque converter rattle

NJExplorerFan

Reaction score
City, State
New Jersey
Year, Model & Trim Level
2015 Limited
I am wondering if I have the famous torque converter rattle on my Explorer. When the truck is idling or in gear accelerating, I hear this constant rattle like change in an metal can. I thought it might be the exhaust heat shields, but they're all tight. Is this worth taking time out to have a transmission shop check it? Or, could it be anything else? How major of a repair is this (parts and labor)? What needs to be done to repair it - a new torque converter? Can you fix the old one?

I also might have the famous e-brake shoe noise. Only at slow speeds, I hear this constant "click - click - click" sound. What the heck is that exactly? One repair shop said it might need a new trans solenoid. Could that be true?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Anyone have any input?

I have the same click - click – click noise from rear at slow speeds. Reading from the forum it seems not serious. When I get an oil change in a few months I’ll ask the repair shop to look at “how much the brake has worn out” (which is part of oil change) at which time I will deal with the noise, depending on the seriousness of the problem.

most likely the parking brake shoe linings have separated from the metal shoe itself, and are rolling around inside the rear rotor drum....

I am wondering if I have the famous torque converter rattle on my Explorer. When the truck is idling or in gear accelerating, I hear this constant rattle like change in an metal can. Or, could it be anything else? Of course it can be something else; in fact, most likely, IMO, it IS something else. Get the rig up high enough to listen around the converter housing area with a stethoscope (known usually as a screwdriver). If rattle is originating there, it will be most discernible there, as opposed to elsewhere in the engine or transmission.
How major of a repair is this (parts and labor)? Very major.
What needs to be done to repair it - a new torque converter? Can you fix the old one? Torque converters are sealed units and cannot be repaired by other than specialized rebuilders.

I also might have the famous e-brake shoe noise. Only at slow speeds, I hear this constant "click - click - click" sound. In addition to, the previous mentioned noise? What the heck is that exactly? Agree with the e-brake lining post. One repair shop said it might need a new trans solenoid. Could that be true?

I haven't had a chance to get the rig up on a lift, but the rattle continues. Shifting by the transmission is fine, but I'm still hearing the rattle. I really wonder what it could be.

Maybe it's not the torque converter. I'll have to see. I wonder if it could be a broken cat or something. But, it did pass state emission testing so I'm not sure if it's a cat. It only has 74K miles now.

fixed

After two years of searching and searching I found the rattle. I took off the heat shield near the trans but not it. I found that the exhaust on the drivers side right near the cross member just barely touches and was causing the rattle while in sitting still. It is just behind were both side come together. I forced a piece of rubber in it and it has not rattled one time.

i have an 03 limited V8 and i do have the infamous torque converter rattle i hear it in neutral and in drive until torque converter lockup then it goes away , i did go under truck while it was running and i hear the noise inside the bell-housing so i know its the converter , when i pull tranny to replace ill replace the main seal and check the servo bores as well ..

I have the rattle, I am pretty sure it is the torque converter as it goes away when it locks up. I just live with it.

I have the rattle, I am pretty sure it is the torque converter as it goes away when it locks up. I just live with it.

Same here. The local transmission shop verified it also and told me to drive it as this does not affect performance or reliability. Te best way to tell if it is the torque convertor is the noise stops completely when the convertor locks up in overdrive.

i think i have the torgue converter noise as well i just wish i knew for sure so i didnt have to worry if thats all it is then im gonna leave it alone

If the noise goes away when the torque convertor locks up then you have a rattling one. I have put about 15k miles on mine since I bought it and the transmission operates the same now as it did at first. IMO, it isn't worth the cost ($1,200) just to get rid of the noise.

yea i hear yea i wont bother spending the money to do it just to make it go away as anoying as it is lol

it dose it when idleing and when u 1st take off from stops ect

2003 ford explorer coverter rattle noise

hello there
just want to let some of you know that asume noise coming from defective torqe converter ,i just recently replaced mine with rebuilt one and noise still there so mechanic said it may be the shaft where the converter seat on ,
so i give up i will drive it until trany goes out completly and replase it with rebuilt one
((((so dont spend money on converter ))))that is not the problem :usa:

Back