Why did you buy | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Why did you buy

All of the above. Im pretty much a ford guy and have owned almost every suv ford has built. I like the company, the styling, the history.

My wife needed a new car and we had a few requirements.
1. Awd
2. 3 rows
3. Fuel economy
4. Safety

The new explorer fit the bill. Im not one the guys on here that holds an irrational hatred for either ladder frame or unibody suv's. I like both and for different reasons. This explorer is perhaps a little wimpier than the old ones, but hey its my wifes car. Im ok with that.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

All of the above. Im pretty much a ford guy and have owned almost every suv ford has built. I like the company, the styling, the history.

1. Awd
2. 3 rows
3. Fuel economy
4. Safety

The new explorer fit the bill. Im not one the guys on here that holds an irrational hatred for either ladder frame or unibody suv's. I like both and for different reasons. This explorer is perhaps a little wimpier than the old ones, but hey its my wifes car. Im ok with that.

Hey everybody, mech just called the Ex a chic car. GET HIM!!! :D

Ford is in our bloodline. Wouldn't consider another brand.

Storm is DEFINITELY not a "girl" car, although the wife loves the Ex as much as I do...

1. Awd
2. 3 rows
3. Fuel economy
4. Safety

Mech, our wives should meet up LOL they are one in the same.

I had a 2008 GMC Canyon...that my wife primarily drove as we knew we would trade it in one day and our other vehicle (2007 Civic) is getting trashed. I work at a mine and the road is horrible.

She told me she wanted a more "family friendly" vehicle that had to meet the following requirements:
- 7 Seater
- Family SUV
- Comfortable for long trips (we live ~400 miles north of Toronto and go there often.
- SUV
- Fuel economy
- Style

We were originally going to get a 2012 Jeep Cherokee...but I couldn't pass up the deal I got on the Explorer...I was even able to do a Complementary Wholesale on my Canyon to minimize costs (tax savings).

Ordered it May 31/2012 - Last day of the Costco rebate and it is scheduled to be here around the Middle of July (~1 week).

This is my first time ever owning a Ford after 5 GM vehicles...so we shall see how it goes.

Cheers!
Matt

A-plan

My sister just started working for ford... explorer was the way to go with a baby on the way. A-plan price plus we sold our car private sale = upgrade to a 302A Limited! The fact they took no bail out $$$ made me sleep well with no buyer's remorse.

Storm is DEFINITELY not a "girl" car, although the wife loves the Ex as much as I do...

Ha yeah. Sorry guys. I agree, not a chick car. Lets say the new explorer is more of a "unisex" car.?!

New EX!

I have owned about 20 cars in my life, and previous to the 2012 EX only two were Fords. Those two were the only vehicles I have owned that absolutely didn't leak. The EX is very comfortable, better fuel economy and is less noisy than the Rendezvous.
1. Hopefully no leaks!
2. Fuel economy
3. Initial cost
4. Not in bed with 0bama!

I needed a 3rd row and don't want to be seen driving a minivan. I'm happy with it so far. My only complaint is there are a lot of blind spots. I almost hit someone in my blind spot a couple of times.

Why

Turned in the diesel and 5th wheel as the family is done with camping. I wasn't quite ready to give up a bigger vehicle. I wanted to fit 7, tow small trailers, and a smooth ride. We test drove the 2011 Limited, Platinum White about a year ago and made the purchase. One year later this week and we couldn't be happier. The ride is smooth. I can throw in 5 people, lay the back seats down for the dog, yakima carrier on the top, and we can hit the road.

Why did you buy your Explorer vs the competition? Die hard Ford owner, price, styling etc. Are still happy with it. How many miles?

I'm in the market for a new mid size suv but all the new models appear to be just cars with big tires.
I really love this thread, haphop! I’m sure you’ll find the Explorer’s look and feel enticing enough to test drive one. :thumbsup:

...This generation is a refreshing change from previous truck based models...
...I really liked the looks of the Explorer along with the gadgets it offered...
...I never shopped around and have absolutely no regrets...
Best looking/styling, seats 7, fuel mileage, American Made, didn't take any bailout money. In that order.
I bought the Explorer because it has the space we needed for my growing family...
...I'm coming close to 5,000 miles and I'd have to say my Explorer is my favorite SUV I have ever owned. I definitely will be sticking with Ford vehicles for a while.
Hmmmmm, why did I order the 2013 Explorer? Let me count the ways…
182RG, cnsheets, Peter, Bill #4 Explorer, CajunFordEx, jrmexplorer, boltsfan17, & grrtrainman,

Thanks for everyone taking the time to rave about their rides! :D

...It's a beautiful ride and I feel the performance was just what I was looking for! Can't wait until mine gets here so I can really enjoy it! Good luck! I think the Ex is a great vehicle!
JUtecht,

You should start checking for your online windows sticker URL next week! Here’s the URL:

Code:
http://fordlabels.webview.biz/webviewhybrid/WindowSticker.aspx?vin=<Insert VIN Here>

baahaha. +1 for not needing bailouts...Also a die hard ford. i couldnt drive anything else.
“Bailouts? We don’t need no stinking bailouts!” LOL JK ;) How about a badge? Grab the “Ford Lifer” badge here:

http://Social.Ford.com/grab-a-badge/ford+lifer

...Ordered it May 31/2012 - Last day of the Costco rebate and it is scheduled to be here around the Middle of July (~1 week)...
Matt,

My tracker shows the ETA to the dealer as 07/21/2012, but this is still subject to change. Is your wife excited?

I needed a 3rd row and don't want to be seen driving a minivan. I'm happy with it so far. My only complaint is there are a lot of blind spots. I almost hit someone in my blind spot a couple of times.
Keep your cool “non-minivan” safe and check your blind spots, johnmei. :)

Cory

This is not only our first Ford, but the first American car! We have been thrilled with it so far. This has been our favorite vehicle we have owned.

1. 3rd Row
2. Styling/Looks
3. Technology/Safety
4. Comfort- It's sooo quiet and the seats are very comfy- Rides nice
5. Nice handeling, does not feel like a big SUV
6. AWD needs

We drove/compared pretty much every 3rd Row Family SUV on the market. Pilot/Acadia/Traverse/Highlander/Santa Fe/CX-9/Explorer.

It came down to the CX-9/Explorer for us. We just liked the Explorer better. It seems nicer, better quality, and more comfortable. We have been very happy with our decision- this is a great vehicle.

We also recently purchased a 2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee (which doesn't have a third row, but can tightly fit three carseats in the back seat) and for various reasons I like the Explorer better.

Can I ask why you like the Explorer better (and if there's anything you like about the JGC better)? I'm cross shopping both the Grand Cherokee and Explorer and am curious as to your thoughts on both.

imag0275.jpg

Enough said! :D

Mine is not a chick car yet, but I am slowly converting it with my family window stickers and some other accessories to come in the future. 8-P (still waiting for a tongue sticking out smilee!)

In no particular order...
1. I wanted a 7 seater that was not GINORMOUS but had room to move inside! (we were also looking at the Traverse and the Veracruz which were not as roomy inside) I was tired of visiting family out of town and having to drive 2 cars to go eat because my family took up a whole car! (I had a Grand Am before).

1.5 Also wanted the storage for stuff when we aren't hauling bunns in the seats!!

2. Wanted something that would get me around well in the snow (this past winter wasn't bad, but the year before our storms were terrible and working overnights I usually don't get plowed streets to drive on to get to work!). Love the features of MFT (for the most part).

3. I really like the overall look of the Explorer (modern but not one of those hideous square cars or one of those stupid bubbly lookin cars, lol)...I'm a girl, the look is somewhat important for me! :D

4. Also like the safety features for my children, just in case!

5. I also did not want something that felt like a truck, I have driven them in the past, and while it is fun driving a truck, I don't want to do it everyday. I am pretty small and did not want it to feel like I am driving a semi everyday! While the back seats are a little tight with the car seats, I can reach both my children from the drivers seat pretty easily.

6. I FOUND A PRETTY BLUE ONE! I love blue and have wanted a blue car my entire life! :D :D :D
IMG_2265.jpg

american made with out govt money
brianj

Back