Limited or Sport for Towing? | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Limited or Sport for Towing?

That what I just came up with as well.

Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

^ And no center console if you get the 2nd row bucket seats.

^ And no center console if you get the 2nd row bucket seats.

Oh forgot about that.

I noticed on the front seat doors that there were cupholders in the door panel. Is there any on the rear seat door panels? That could help ease the loss of that 2nd console.

Thanks can we assume the 2nd update to the owners guide will be posted on-line first?

Also I think I am leaning towards the Sport for the extra horsepower and torque...
That’s safe to assume, msmccargar. I can see what you mean; the power is pretty tough to pass up! :D

...I noticed on the front seat doors that there were cupholders in the door panel. Is there any on the rear seat door panels? That could help ease the loss of that 2nd console.
Thanks for all your help, Kirby Baker! I’ll add this to the questions I’m sending up the line. Stay tuned. :)

Cory

Oh forgot about that.

I noticed on the front seat doors that there were cupholders in the door panel. Is there any on the rear seat door panels? That could help ease the loss of that 2nd console.

Not sure on the Sport but on my Limited there are cup holders in the rear door panels but they will only hold a water bottle, soda can or the kids cup from McDonalds.... Nothing bigger.

I am surprised by your tongue weight. I would have thought it would be higher. Ours comes in around 400 lbs for a lighter trailer. I do have 2 large propane bottles and a battery on the front

Our rear end sags about 1 inch and the front is up 1/4 - 1/2 inch with WDH set up. Which is right in spec according to RV Dealer and Ford.

Niagara-on-the-Lake-20120627-00070.png

Aarm, like your trailer, sweet ride. The tongue weight is a lot of work, to keep even and close to the original load design.
1) axle placement on the trailer to show the flexibility of load placement, many trailers are designed with a percentage of weight towards the front, this was a factor in looking at many trailers.
2) I have full run compartment both front and back of trailer( makes for flexibility in installing the required items to counter balance front to back..
3) add WDH, there you have it. I use a race scale to keep track of the tongue weight, I do not want to exceed 400 lbs.

Hope this explains it, I agree with you also, no more than 3500 lbs, for gee wiz, I pulled my old race car trailer, open trailer with race car, about 3900 lbs, not a barn door, actually very low open trailer, pulled the same hill going towards the coast, don't fell it to much, but same issues power vs yes the ratios in the tranny. I agree with you, the Ex the potential but something is ari I the tranny design or ratios used, who knows.

msmccargar, dco43054, RonJrSVCMGR, & Peter,

Quick update, guys: I just got word the Explorer Sport will be added for the 2nd Printing of the Owner Guide. It will be at the plant before the Sport starts being built in September. I’ll pass along your other questions to get them answered when they become available.

I’ll check on this one for you, VinceL. :)

That’s awesome, Javelin62! Thanks for sharing. :D

Spengracin,

I really appreciate you taking the time to post that lengthy review. I still have your Explorer’s details, so send me a PM and I’ll help by arranging a follow-up call.

Cory

Can do Cory

Not sure on the Sport but on my Limited there are cup holders in the rear door panels but they will only hold a water bottle, soda can or the kids cup from McDonalds.... Nothing bigger.
Thanks a lot for taking the time to help, onaropus. :)

Can do Cory
Spengracin,

I see your follow-up PM in my inbox; I’ll shoot a reply back in a day or so.

Cory

Thanks. I didnt realize they were that small. The front ones looked like they could hold a large drink?

I am going to go look at and test drive a Limited (looks just like Storm Trooper) that arrived at my dealer, I assume yesterday, as it isnt even showing on Ford's site (search for vehicle) or my dealer's own website inventory list. Looked to be loaded with a sticker over $52k. Could be VERY tempting.....especially if it seems to drive better than the XLT I drove last weekend (hoping it was just that vehicle being a bit doggy in acceleration).

Well I decided to purchase a 20113 limited. Here are the Specs. I should get it Sunday

Sterling Gray Metallic
black Perforated Leather
302A Package
All weather floormats
Dual Panel Moonroof
Trailer Tow Package
20" Polished Aluminum Wheels
Mud Guards
Rood Rack Cross bars

Does anyone have a good recommendation for a a rear cargo mat that would be good for pets? Is there such a thing that would cover the back of the 2nd row seat and the sides as well? Also what would be a good bumper protector?

Thanks for all of your help.

oops I meant 2013

Well I decided to purchase a 20113 limited. Here are the Specs. I should get it Sunday

Sterling Gray Metallic
black Perforated Leather
302A Package
All weather floormats
Dual Panel Moonroof
Trailer Tow Package
Mud Guards
Rood Rack Cross bars

Does anyone have a good recommendation for a a rear cargo mat that would be good for pets? Is there such a thing that would cover the back of the 2nd row seat and the sides as well? Also what would be a good bumper protector?

Huskey Liners have a Group Buy. You might want to look into that.

Go to the Modified Forum to see the thread.

Sterling Gray Metallic
black Perforated Leather
302A Package
All weather floormats
Dual Panel Moonroof
Trailer Tow Package
Mud Guards
Rood Rack Cross bars

There are threads posted on both items. I have the Husky mats and cargo mat and the OEM bumper protector. However, after seeing the aftermarket one, I would have preferred it since itcovers the bumper's lip.
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=360794&highlight=bumper+protector

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=360407&highlight=cargo+mat

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=335792&highlight=cargo+mat

Unfortunately cnsheets pics have all disappeared but if you look at the pic posted by jlrohio, you can get a idea of what it looks like. The finger in the picture I assume is to cover the licence plate. Good idea.

Peter

I took advantage of the group buy for the cargo liner from Husky. What a good deal!

Also ordered a bumper protector from BMC.

Congrats mms, post some pics when you get the new Ex. Received a call from the regional service person in our area, thanks Cory. Surprising they have all the parts finally and going in Tuesday for the umpteenth time to repair, glove box, plastic cover above rear view mirror, and third row seat. Also they are going to look at the shift points for my Ex, recommend changes for pulling TT. Also my mileage is getting worse, 15.9 this last tank

Delivered to my house yesterday at 4:30

:D

Attachments

• EXP.jpg
    EXP.jpg
    87.2 KB · Views: 299

...I am going to go look at and test drive a Limited (looks just like Storm Trooper) that arrived at my dealer...
Did you get a chance to test drive it yet, Kirby Baker? :)

Delivered to my house yesterday at 4:30 :D
That is one gorgeous ride, msmccargar; congratulations! :thumbsup::thumbsup:

There are threads posted on both items...
Is there anything you can’t find on the forum, Peter? ;)

...Received a call from the regional service person in our area, thanks Cory...
You got it, Spengracin; drop me a line with any details you want forwarded before your next call.

Cory

Did you get a chance to test drive it yet, Kirby Baker? :)
Indeed I did! Going to order a Limited, but right now I am in the process of trying to get a new $750 coupon sent/issued to me. The other one expired on July 3rd, and there were too many discrepancies on the Ford website at that time in regards to the Sport model and options (or lacking options). Hopefully a kind soul there in Marketing will re-issue me the coupon.

Just received my X-Plan pin today as well.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Congratulations, and what a beautiful color! ;)

Yes we love the color. We thought about black but stuck with our original idea.

Going on a short road trip this weekend. I will report back next week.

Back