Mr Mud (turning a Frog into a Prince) | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Mr Mud (turning a Frog into a Prince)

We rescued this truck from certain death. Some may know it well. A few said it was a lost cause. We were a little more optimistic. There will be a lot of changes, join us as we .... Turn a Frog into a Prince!

The before:
DSCN0256.jpg

[/IMG
DSCN0255.jpg

]
DSCN0254.jpg

DSCN0253.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Moved to the rear of the truck for some much needed love and attention. Replaced the shocks and beefed the spring packs up
The before look
DSCN0357.jpg

and the after
DSCN0359.jpg

DSCN0360.jpg

Did you take your frame apart to paint it black? and how did you put on the differential cover? I need one on mine badly and also what type of paint did you put on it and how would I clean the underbody body to get all that dirt and grime off?

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

used a power washer and degreaser to clean the diff covr is stock

nice work so far.

paint looks good too. might even be inspiring me to clean and paint the frame/suspension on mine a bit.. something i said i would do when i put it together but then i promptly got it dirty and couldn't paint :)

these projects are extra good when its a vehicle saved from "certain death" i think i have saved 7 vehicles from certain death and fixed them up (some more than others). two came out of a junk yard, literally.

can't believe how good that interior came out.. looks like new.

Today Mr Mud became a legal truck!
Currently the rear bumper is being reworked to make it funcitional. Next step DRIVE it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
get it to pass smog and we are on a go to Wheel!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (now that its too hot!)

What the bumper looked like when Stic-o bought it for what is now JP, it was then sold to Cybergasm where it remained till we reworked it
a-old-bump.jpg

Rear bumper reworked . Now has single bar, latched reworked, and is set to handle both the 33x10.50x15's and the larger 35x12.50x17 8 lug yellow labels
DSCN0437.jpg

DSCN0435.jpg

DSCN0433.jpg

looking like Thursday will be smog day

..Good luck with the smog..I hate test..:D

already talked to smog guy he says not to worry! everything you own passes super clean

turns out the o2 sensor is in the wrong location for a 91 (93 motor and headers) so waiting for Summit to send a new o2 bung so it can be relocated. Otherwise everything else passed with flying colors. new smog date is Fri or Sat

Could you post a couple close up pictures of how you modified the factory shock mount plates? I'm installing new shock this weekend and have been thinking about relocating the shocks to the axle and some how trimming up the mounts so they don't hang down so far.

turns out the o2 sensor is in the wrong location for a 91 (93 motor and headers) so waiting for Summit to send a new o2 bung so it can be relocated. Otherwise everything else passed with flying colors. new smog date is Fri or Sat

..I've never heard of such a thing and know the 91 was non EGR..Do you have any pictures of before and after of this change for future reference?

..Are the headers CARB compliant and which ones?

..Not bagging on ya just learning of more stuff to watch out for and since I have headers and a newer motor I'm curious how mine is set up if the same or different..:D

Looking forward to the build.

..I've never heard of such a thing and know the 91 was non EGR..Do you have any pictures of before and after of this change for future reference?

..Are the headers CARB compliant and which ones?

..Not bagging on ya just learning of more stuff to watch out for and since I have headers and a newer motor I'm curious how mine is set up if the same or different..:D

We have a 91 XLT with 91 wiring harness and a 93 motor and header combo, the result is a constant pulsing at idle due to the fact that the ecm is only reading 1 bank instead of 2.

the headers are carb compliant. the 91 has only 1 o2 sensor located after the y-connector the 93 (motor) has 2 one for each bank, therefore we must move the bung behind the y-connector to acess pulse from both banks, and plug both other bungs.

Could you post a couple close up pictures of how you modified the factory shock mount plates? I'm installing new shock this weekend and have been thinking about relocating the shocks to the axle and some how trimming up the mounts so they don't hang down so far.

all parts are from Ruff Stuff Offroad
DSCN0442.jpg

DSCN0441.jpg

DSCN0440.jpg

DSCN0439.jpg

Thanks man, I'll be looking into these.

It is official!!!! Mud passed smog with flying colors!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Now we need to replace the ignition cylinder and tackle swapping out front steering and springs from Icarus (he won't miss the parts as he is going big!)

New ignitoin keyway purchased rekeyed so all the doors match is now installed . No more getting stranded and looking for a hammer to move the key!
Air conditioning is set to be dried and recharged on Friday. Then we must wait to do steering and suspention work.

Everything here goes on hold as of Aug 3

..:scratch:...What is happening August 3rd?

..:scratch:..Ok..I got it...

..It's a Sawzall and grinding party...:D

..Seriously though, I hope all goes well..:biggthump

So Mud went in for air conditioning work. When it left the yard I could hear the motor loud and proud

A couple of hours later as I was in the kitchen looking out onto the driveway it rolled back into the yard, I never heard it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Norm walked in smiles on his face the air works fantastic (and it was free!)and he stopped by the muffler shop on the way back and had the tailpipe put on (it was run short before).

This truck is starting to become civilized and will soon earn its keep, as well as offroad play time and expedition runs.

Back