• Register Today It's free!

Fuses dont work

wfee

Reaction score
City, State
Northern Ky
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 Ford Explorer
Hi guys im new to this forum and i want to say im glad ive found it, it has helped alot already but im wondering if anyone can help me out. I've got these fuses that do not work and I don't know why.
Fuses-2,4,7,8,24,28,32,33,34 I've ran a check on them and not a one will light up on my meter. thanks in advance

1996 ford explorer Eddie Bauer 4.0 l

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Turn the key to ignition on and try it again.. some dont light a meter and I dont know why that is either

Welcome to the forum!

To test if the fuse itself is good, set the meter to test "continuity". Touch it to the test spots on the fuse and it will beep if the fuse is good.

If no current/voltage is going through the fuse, that circuit is not active. That circuit may be de-energized because of a closed relay, for instance, if the accessory it runs is switched off.

If something doesn't work when you turn it on, like the heater fan for instance, there may or may not be voltage at the fuse. The voltage has only gone so far in the circuit and it may be stopped by a bad switch, bad fan relay, bad resistor coil, or bad fan motor. The fuse box is one place to check for presence of current, but to fully diagnose a bad circuit there are many other points in it to check.

Good luck and let us know if you need more information.

Yea I've got the truck running with everything turned on and those fuses just don't light up like the others. I don't know where to start. I

Yea I've got the truck running with everything turned on and those fuses just don't light up like the others. I don't know where to start. I

What stuff doesn't work?

likely issue is you lost the feed from the main distribution block ... either going into the fuse block (back) or at the main distribution block (base).

This may be me being at work all night and in gernal being tired. But do you have currently have fuses in those slots. Or are they just empty slots. If everything is working on your truck (radio, cruise control, lights, ect.) Maybe the prior owner but good fuses in the empty slots as extras, instead of carring around a little plastic box of them.
Just a thought. Please correct me if I'm wrong and ill go to sleep. Lol

Sent from my crap Sidekick using Forum Runner

well you obviously have lots of things not working... OR... most likely you haven't pushed the right "button" to cause a voltage to appear. You know that some "things" have switches and "stuff" that have to be set. What exactly are you looking for????

Stuff like my brake light on top of the truck, sun roof, trailer lights was working but not now, power door locks doesn't work, and all these things that don't work I check the fuse and the fuse is good but when I put a meter on it they won't light up like the others do that work. Hope that makes sense cause I was going fishing one morning and plug the lights in they worked then went out and I've tried everything to get them back on and that is what has lead me to checking out the fuses. The ones under the hood all check out good. I know how to work on a truck but this has me going nuts.

okay... but as others have suggested, just chase things that don't work and follow thru on them.... just checking fuses for voltage "blindly" isn't much help cause as I indicated some fuses require you to do something... for instance, bright lights have to have your bright switch set.

Having said that, you need to find a diagram for wiring ( bob flood has posted many times a reference to free ones) and trace thru a given circuit issue... for instance, sun roof (assuming its stock)... check that circuit.

Having said (I like to backtrack... :) fuse 4 feeds the PCM module which would be a major problem (I think)... BUT it gets its feed, from fuse 1 on the power distribution block... check that fuse out and make sure power is coming into it AND leaving it... then check for its "arrival" at the fuse block... bad news is you will likely have to get at the back side of the fuse block to solve your issue... maybe

If there's no voltage at the fuse for a circuit, but there should be voltage, there's a problem somewhere else. You'll have to isolate the circuit for each problem and check for damage to the wires, and check that individual components are working. Continuity tests will go a long way towards finding your problem sources.

EDIT: Budwich beat me to the answer. What he said :)

Ok thanks guys, seems like its going to be a big job. Just to yawl a boat that's all I'm worried about really. Thanks again

Back