Do I take it in ..... | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Do I take it in .....

calb

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2012 AWD Explorer Limited
My wife is getting mad, and I'm becoming discouraged. In the last 4-5 days, the Explorer has done a black screen and "Scheduled Maintenance Update" approximately 8 times. A couple of times this happened while we were trying to edit the route, in navigation, but I have no way of telling if this is related.

I'm at a loss as to what to do. My wife is losing faith in Ford, and gets madder every time we take the car in for service. The pre-update version (2.11?) was by far better and more stable, based on our experience.

Is it worth taking this in for service, or is this just "expected" MFT behavior in this latest version? Not sure whether to risk my wife's further wrath or not.

Thanks everyone.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

What version are you currently on?

Have you done a reset on the system - both from the system menu, and disconnecting the power?

If not, I'd to both.

If you have, I'd take it to the dealer and tell them I want the hardware replaced.

That sounds like a possible hardware issue. I agree, try a reset and if that doesn't work, take it to the dealer and have them fix it.

I agree with Vince - hardware for sure - that many system reboots sounds like a defective APIM. Even though 2.11 worked well for you, sometimes a software upgrade will reveal a defect in the hardware - for example, the new version may be using memory differently and exposing bugs in the hardware that 2.11 didn't. Additionally, you have a computer being rattled around in a car - all it takes is for one piece of solder to work loose and you will have issues.

Thanks everyone. Did it to my wife again today.

I'll try a system reset from the menu and if that doesn't work then *gulp* disconnecting power (guess I lose my settings there?). What is recommended procedure for disconnecting power?

Thanks everyone. Did it to my wife again today.

I'll try a system reset from the menu and if that doesn't work then *gulp* disconnecting power (guess I lose my settings there?). What is recommended procedure for disconnecting power?

Hey, calb!

I suggest you perform a Master Reset instead of disconnecting the power:

MENU > SETTINGS > SYSTEM > MASTER RESET

If that doesn't work, you should make an appointment with your dealer for further diagnostics.

Rebecca

Hey, calb!

I suggest you perform a Master Reset instead of disconnecting the power:

MENU > SETTINGS > SYSTEM > MASTER RESET

If that doesn't work, you should make an appointment with your dealer for further diagnostics.

Rebecca

Hi Rebecca, did the Master reset last night. Disconnecting power wasn't one of the things I looked forward to, so I'll take it to the dealer if reset doesn't fix things.

I haven't been following as closely; has there been an announcement as to when the next software update might be available?

Latest I heard was Not soon enough! :D

Ohh- my wife will agree with you on that. She wasn't too happy on the upgrade when she lost her settings, and she is even less happy now with problems and a software reset. The good news is that it has been 24 hours no no recurrence of the "scheduled maintenance" issue.

Please, please, please Ford, fix it. Oh -and there should be the ability to save settings (in particular navigation favorites) to a USB drive - for my wife's sake, if not mine ;)

My wife is getting mad, and I'm becoming discouraged. In the last 4-5 days, the Explorer has done a black screen and "Scheduled Maintenance Update" approximately 8 times. A couple of times this happened while we were trying to edit the route, in navigation, but I have no way of telling if this is related.

I'm at a loss as to what to do. My wife is losing faith in Ford, and gets madder every time we take the car in for service. The pre-update version (2.11?) was by far better and more stable, based on our experience.

Is it worth taking this in for service, or is this just "expected" MFT behavior in this latest version? Not sure whether to risk my wife's further wrath or not.

Thanks everyone.

I didn't read this thread before I created a thread with the same issues. My Explorer started doing the same thing this past weekend. Before it started, everything had been working great. Mine has done it twice while driving. I've noticed it mostly does it after I stop and park the Explorer. I've done a master reset every time it does it because certain things don't work after MFT reboots itself. So far, nothing has fixed the issue. I will be taking my Explorer to the dealership on Monday.

Hi Rebecca, did the Master reset last night. Disconnecting power wasn't one of the things I looked forward to, so I'll take it to the dealer if reset doesn't fix things.

I haven't been following as closely; has there been an announcement as to when the next software update might be available?

I don't have an ETA for it yet, calb. I'll let you know when I do! :)

LOL, Vince! You crack me up!

Rebecca

Ohh- my wife will agree with you on that. She wasn't too happy on the upgrade when she lost her settings, and she is even less happy now with problems and a software reset. The good news is that it has been 24 hours no no recurrence of the "scheduled maintenance" issue.

Please, please, please Ford, fix it. Oh -and there should be the ability to save settings (in particular navigation favorites) to a USB drive - for my wife's sake, if not mine ;)

calb, don't you realize you wife's sake IS your sake? :)

Back