MFT Gauge and Diagnostic Capabilities? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

MFT Gauge and Diagnostic Capabilities?

mkennedy100

Reaction score
City, State
Maryland
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 Explorer Limited
Hi there. Considering a 2013 Ford Explorer to replace my much-loved 98 Sport...which by the way has had a long and happy life thanks in large part to the information and helpful members here at Serious Explorations. Thanks to everyone!

So, I was curious about the gauge configurations available on the MFT Vehicle Information Screen. I see so far that there's fuel and tachometer. I read something about coolant temp (though haven't found a screenshot showing that yet). Is there an option for Oil Temp or Oil Pressure? I'm a bit of a geek in that I like to see as much as possible regarding the engine operation.

Also regarding the Vehicle Health Report: Does anyone have a sample or a list of what that report really contains? The brochure reads "Using vehicle data, the report includes system information and recommended actions for any displayed warning indicators." Does it provide (and describe) the ODBII diagnostic codes? If so, does that include the Ford proprietary DTCs or "P1" codes? Of course, since I'm talking about a new Ford, the check engine light shouldn't turn on for a long, long time, right? ;)

Thanks in advance!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome to the forums!

As far as I have seen, there is not any Oil related information available beyond what is reported by the oil life monitor. And to answer the coolant temp question, there is an option to display that also. Basically, the gas gauge gets skinnier and the coolant temp slider is inserted next to it. Here is a pic of what it looks like (this is from an Edge, but you get the idea):

InteriorDash01_%28544x408%29.jpg

If there is anything else you are wondering about, just ask! :)

Here is the page detailing our 2013 Explorer, the Gray Ghost.

Hi, mkennedy100!

The Vehicle Health Report (VHR) will show the following information:

•Vehicle diagnostics.
•Scheduled maintenance.
•Unserviced maintenance and wear items from your preferred dealer.
•Recall information.

If you'd like to see what it looks like, here's a sample VHR:

http://www.syncmyride.com/Own/Modules/VHR/vhr_pdf_sample.pdf

Cory (FordCustSrvc) will be able to answer your other question! :)

Rebecca

Nice photo VinceL! Thanks for the reply and the effort to provide the pic.

Rebecca, thanks also for the quick reply and for the sample report. It's a real plus to have you and Cory on the board. Does the diagnostic section in the report provide the actual DTC codes or would I still need to connect a scantool for that?

I appreciate the recommendation, Rebecca. :D

...Rebecca, thanks also for the quick reply and for the sample report. It's a real plus to have you and Cory on the board. Does the diagnostic section in the report provide the actual DTC codes or would I still need to connect a scantool for that?
Thanks for the kind words, mkennedy100! :thumbsup: I see Rebecca already posted the sample VHR page. The report will not list detailed trouble codes, but will report if any of the warning indicators are on and will recommend a visit to the dealer.

Cory

Nice photo VinceL! Thanks for the reply and the effort to provide the pic.

Rebecca, thanks also for the quick reply and for the sample report. It's a real plus to have you and Cory on the board. Does the diagnostic section in the report provide the actual DTC codes or would I still need to connect a scantool for that?

Remember the biggest target audience for these reports, DTC codes would be as useful to the general public as the dump screen is on a Windows BSOD. They need to keep it simple.

FWIW - It would be cool if there was an advanced option to allow for a more detailed report. I'm guessing more detailed info is uploaded to the Ford servers but only a "dumbed down" report is available to the owners.

If they gave you TOO much information in these, you would not need to go to the dealer.....

:D

Bring the VHR to CANADA PLEASE!!!!!

The VHR is actually a bit more detailed than what Corey and Rebecca were letting on. They actually do have some trouble codes. I'm not sure they are the actual OBDII trouble codes, but they ARE good enough to go into a dealer as proof of a problem if you are having intermittent trouble codes. I actually did a VHR when I had an intermittent diagnostic warning on the dash and it did provide more info than simply "something is wrong." Unfortunately, they expire after a couple months and I no longer have that VHR so I cannot tell you what they provide.

...FWIW - It would be cool if there was an advanced option to allow for a more detailed report. I'm guessing more detailed info is uploaded to the Ford servers but only a "dumbed down" report is available to the owners.
onaropus,

That’s an awesome idea for the “Your Ideas” section on:

http://www.Social.Ford.com

After you submit it, be sure to grab the URL to post here so others can rate and comment. :D

If they gave you TOO much information in these, you would not need to go to the dealer.....

:D
I don’t think that will be a problem, RonJrSVCMGR. LOL

KanewtZ,

Edit: I checked with my contact north of the border and he says there’s no news around VHR being available in Canada yet.

The VHR is actually a bit more detailed than what Corey and Rebecca were letting on. They actually do have some trouble codes...
jrmexplorer,

My tech adviser confirmed the VHR will not list detailed trouble codes, but it will report if any of the warning indicators are on and will even give the option to schedule a dealer visit.

Cory

I think you are on to something there with the "advanced option" for the VHR, onaropus! In fact, given my original question was about the availability of an oil pressure gauge. You could have something like an "Enthusiast Option" for the display that adds a few more gauges; or a "Towing Option" that shows tranny and oil temp and the like; or a "Performance Meter" display that uses the GPS for 0-60 times, 1/4 mile etc. I know the Explorer is not a sports car but the Sport model is coming out soon. Someone might get a kick out of that. ...I better stop before I hurt myself.

I hear ya - RonJrSVCMGR. So what you are saying is that I'm probably asking too much for an integrated VCM/IDS capability! ;)

Rebecca, Can I ask why there is such secrecy around the lack of functionality of SYNC/MFT features in Canada?

All anyone wants is an answer as to why they are not available, but no one ever answers the question. They just talk around it.

Canadians can't lobby for change if they don't know who to direct their feedback to.

If its not Ford then please direct us to the appropriate agency.

Please don't just say "I have no new information" or "I will pass on your comments" or "Please suggest your ideas on The Ford Story"

rebecca, can i ask why there is such secrecy around the lack of functionality of sync/mft features in canada?

All anyone wants is an answer as to why they are not available, but no one ever answers the question. They just talk around it.

Canadians can't lobby for change if they don't know who to direct their feedback to.

If its not ford then please direct us to the appropriate agency.

Please don't just say "i have no new information" or "i will pass on your comments" or "please suggest your ideas on the ford story"
+1

Back