Differences between Mustang 4.6 and Explorer 4.6? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Differences between Mustang 4.6 and Explorer 4.6?

VTOSS_Man

Reaction score
City, State
Alberta, Canada
Year, Model & Trim Level
'00 EB
Hi Everyone,

I'm thinking about moving up to an 04/05 EB with the V8. I am trying to find out what makes the 20hp/20ft/lbs difference between the Mustang 4.6 and the Explorer 4.6. I have not had much success after multiple searches.

I'm assuming the main differences are the PCM, cam shafts and exhaust. Can anyone confirm or deny this....and more importantly......are they a simple swap to upgrade the Explorer 4.6 V8?

TIA

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

This has been something I have been very curious about as well!

It is my understanding that the difference in power is due to different cams and the Mustang running Premium Unleaded.

I have JBA headers and a catback and run Premium thanks to my SCT flasher. The intake plenum, intake manifold and internals of the motor are supposed to be interchangeable.

mustangs run on premuim? Are you sure?

Well, I thought it was required on GTs and Cobras? I know the Cobra requires 93 octane. I was under the impression that the GT and Mach 1 also required it. Also, the Mark VIII required 93 octane. Even the Lincoln LS V8 required 93. I know the '05+ Mustang GTs do not require 93 but I was under the impression the older models with 4.6 did. Sorry for any misinformation.

only the cobras requre premium. My buddy just bought a 06 GT stang, and it uses 87 octane.
I think the reason explorers don't have the 260 hp that the 99 to 04 mustang GT's had is because the auto trannys couldn't hold up to it. Just my guess.

Edit, my mothers 96 4.6 liter GT mustang also recomends 87 octane. Only the SVT cobra calls for 93.

Well, the only physical difference is the cams then.

NaplesBill said:
Well, the only physical difference is the cams then.
Thanks for the response's guys. I think the other main difference is the Mustang has a true dual exhaust system. I havn't searched real hard, but are there any aftermarket true dual exhaust kits for the 02-05 Ex's??

One more question. Are the heads on the 02-05 Ex 4.6's the exact same as the Mustang PI head?

Thanks

NaplesBill said:
Even the Lincoln LS V8 required 93.

My LS requires 91

chriswells78 said:
My LS requires 91

The 93 vs 91 has to do with how your state calculates the octane. Either way it's considered premium unleaded.

The 4.6 in the 3rd gen X is the exact same all aluminum motor as the GT 4.6 from 99-04. I even had Ford correct their website as they showed the X having a cast iron block but it doesn't. Maybe the exhaust is the only true difference.

I think the stock exhaust also has a lot to do with the output number they use. And I believe the GTs use 87.

IAmTodd said:
I think the stock exhaust also has a lot to do with the output number they use. And I believe the GTs use 87.
All Mustang GT's only require regular fuel (87). Cobra's require premium (91-93).

I know holy back from the dead Bat Man! just cuz I am pissy and in the mood:

ALL 4.6L SOHC Mod motors use the same crank, rods, pistons and CAMS.. there is no difference in the cam profile from the Crown Vic to the truck, to the Mustang, to the Exp/Monty 4.6. Hence the name "modular engine platform".. I read something a lil while ago that the 5.4L engine is "longer"... NO its not... It uses the exact same crank, rod, piston, head, cam etc.. The idea was to eventually develop a I4 through V10 program where they all had the same bore/stroke, used the same head profile, so all valves, springs, etc were interchangeable. So a 6.0-6.2L V10 would be able to use off the shelf parts from a 4.6, 5.4, 6.0 or whatever. In reality the current V10 is a 5.4 deck height + 4.6L stroke & bore, + 2 cylinders.

The HP/TQ difference is ENTIRELY in the Intake tract (air box, ducting, elbow and intake manifold), the Exhaust, and ECM/PCM programming. PERIOD.

02-05 Exp/Monty's have WAP-Aluminum blocks to relieve a little weight (68lbs to be exact) off the front end of a pig-heavy SUV (especially AWD models).

So NO a Mustang (aka IRON BLOCK) 4/.6 swap will not net you 20+hp in itself. Sorry to rain on the parade. Again... a 2003 Mustang GT vs an '03 F150 vs a Explorer 4.6 are all IDENTICAL except for the the aluminum block of the explorer/Monty and its unique front timing cover.

Rob

I'm pretty sure a Mustang does not use an iron block. Thats why the 4.0L SOHC motor never really appealed to anyone in the Mustang like the previous V6 motors did. No one wants a boat anchor in the front end and the 4.6L is a pretty big motor for only being the displacement it is. I'm pretty sure the Explorer used a cast iron block for both motors. Except for newer model trucks and SUVs I have rarely heard of them using an aluminum block engine. I could be wrong, but the last I heard was the 4.6L was aluminum in the Mustang and cast iron in the Explorer.

I could be wrong, but the last I heard was the 4.6L was aluminum in the Mustang and cast iron in the Explorer.

The Explorer has the aluminum block and the Mustang has the iron block and I am not guessing as I own both.

I'm pretty sure a Mustang does not use an iron block. Thats why the 4.0L SOHC motor never really appealed to anyone in the Mustang like the previous V6 motors did. No one wants a boat anchor in the front end and the 4.6L is a pretty big motor for only being the displacement it is. I'm pretty sure the Explorer used a cast iron block for both motors. Except for newer model trucks and SUVs I have rarely heard of them using an aluminum block engine. I could be wrong, but the last I heard was the 4.6L was aluminum in the Mustang and cast iron in the Explorer.

Nope, the 02-05 v8 in the explorer was an aluminum block and Cast iron in the mustang. I can't remember what the 3v 4.6's are for blocks though. there were some links to an engine builder magazine site that detailed all the 4.6 V8 2v blocks and their differences. If I get a minute I'll try to find the links.

2010 3v 4.6's mine is cast iron.

Here are the engine builder links that matt0248 speaks of:
http://www.enginebuildermag.com/Item/2238/rebuilding_the_ford_46l_sohc_engine.aspx
http://www.enginebuildermag.com/Item/3541/rebuilding_the_ford_46l.aspx

Another favorite:
http://www.therangerstation.com/Magazine/Summer2010/Ford_4-6.htm

An interesting story about how the aluminum block ended up in a very limited number of rare Expeditions:
http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/398346-2003-expedition-with-4-6l-aluminum-block-and-heads.html

Guys, I do know that the Explorer/Mountaineer motors are aluminum. Everything else (other than the Cobra) is Iron. In fact, the Explorer motor swap is a very popular swap for the Thunderbird crowd as the Explorer has the PI heads, cams, intake, etc. as the Mustang with less weight (as has been stated). In fact the Explorer blocks also have 6 bolt mains like the cobras do as compared to the 4 bolt mains in the Iron blocks. With the right tune and Exhaust the Explorer 4.6 can be a very stout engine, just as the Mustang GT.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back