Trick Flow upper intake plenum - 4.6L | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Trick Flow upper intake plenum - 4.6L

Did the ASP underdrive pullys help out at all?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Did the ASP underdrive pullys help out at all?

As far as power goes, I want to say yes, but I have no dyno proof. It feels like it, but it could just be the placebo effect. As far as mileage goes, I don't think so. I average around 17 mpg with a mix of city and highway driving and a fairly heavy right foot.

UDP's will gain power and will usually gain a little mpg too. I am sure if there were a direct before and after test done that 1bad would have been able to witness that. Unfortunately the butt dyno calibration can be off especially when dealing with parts that don't net huge power gains. :thumbsup:

Do you remember the part number and how much they cost? I'm not lloking to spend a ton of money. Summit and Trick Flow have them for around $100.00 and I was wondering if they'd fit on Explorers. Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't the same identical engine for '04?

I believe the part # is ASP527374T. I cannot recall the price for them or even where I got them from. I am out of town for work, so I have no way to check my files for where I got them from. It was online somewhere.
I was told that the Mustang ones will not fit. Rocket will probably know for sure.

TFS upper elbow/plenum for the T-bird is closest I think that was the application. I don't have my binder at hand. It was a matter of drilling one hole 1-step larger and some brass fittings to get the PCV for the passenger Cam cover. then everything else was bolt up.

Drive-By-Wire for the '04-'05 is no biggie. The REAL trick-4-flow is the point from the MAF outlet to the DBW Throttle body, that flex tube with the big silencer is the MAJOR problem.

Spectre sells individual bends/str8's of plated plastic ducting. Make a duct from the MAF to the TB and then the elbow, by-pass the hot-water flow through (a 1/4" brass male-male barb & (2) hoes clamps). done deal.

[/Uimageshack.us/photo/my-images/338/1000612g.jpg/]

Rob

another trick: the elbow that is on both pics behind the EGR on the TF elbow will NOT work, you have to PLUG it and plug it FLUSH... the EGR body is so close, a piece of paper will barely fit through. So a very small pipe plug is needed. Be careful. The brass will want to break or strip. Chase the threads a few times, lots of paste sealer and SLOW driving the plug in. Then use the other vacuum port for the same tap. I will post more pics when I finally get the truck back from the shop.

Its not "hard" just takes a lil thinking. here is a pic of the hot h20 PCV manifold on the OE elbow. Just pull off the line on the front, pull off the h20 line off the back and connect them. Bypass the heated H20 PCV crap.

Rob

I have the trick flow upper intake plenum installed on my 02 4.6L and saw a NEGATIVE MPG response. The way it was explained to me, it adds more air yes which cause the PCM to throw more gas. Mine is custom ported and polished to match a modded mustang TB. There is pictures on the forum here somewhere of it. I went from about 13-14mpg average around town to 11-12mpg. Even with a custom tune it didn't produce anything better. The throttle response from the plenum is most noticed mid range at cruising speeds when u need passing power. Changed the sound a little as well at WOT. There was definately a performance increase but the MPG loss in my opinion doesn't warrant the change. My EX has Magnaflow cat back, CAI, mustang ported and polished TB with matched ported Trick flow plenum, ground force 1" drop springs, tokico shocks, and a custom henson performance tune......

are these strictly for the 4.6's?

dang, i have to get a new throttle body, but their $336 new and if this replaces the v8s for 120 some odd dollars. Only if it worked for 4.0's..

Back