power liftgate reopens when starting Ex.. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

power liftgate reopens when starting Ex..

blwnsmoke

Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 Explorer ST
So there have been a few posts in the past regarding this.. you go to close the liftgate, get into the Ex, start it before it is fully closed and it sometimes will open back up.

Some have posted that this is normal per the Explorer manual.

Others have posted that there is a TSB for this.

Well I wanted to give everyone an update. My dealer did perform the TSB that is also listed for the Edge's. Depending on what they find when they take it apart, it can consist of replacing a connector (due to corrosion), replacing a sensor, replacing a control board and installing a rain shield/guard.

Everything was replaced on mine and the results are outstanding. I've had it done for about 6 weeks now and not once has it ever opened itself back up after starting the vehicle. Infact, the tailgate NO LONGER pauses when I go to start the EX. It is all ONE continuous motion/close.

Here is a video of it.. keep in mind that as soon as I turned to the back, I started the EX and it doesn't pause or reverse any longer.
Enjoy the video!!

http://s1215.photobucket.com/albums/cc504/blwnsmoke/?action=view&current=trunk.mp4

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I've noticed the long pause when you try to start the vehicle before the liftgate is completely closed but it has never opened back up. Is this just one of the symptoms? Will it get worse? Is there really a TSB and should I take it to the dealer and get it done?

If the gate is still closing and hasn't locked and you attempt to start the vehicle, the liftgate will re-open. This is how it is designed. There is no TSB for this, as it is operating as intended.

The TSBs were aimed at vehicles that were experiencing random openings and bounce-back openings, where they would reverse when the latch tried to fully lock the liftgate down.

If the gate is still closing and hasn't locked and you attempt to start the vehicle, the liftgate will re-open. This is how it is designed. There is no TSB for this, as it is operating as intended.

The TSBs were aimed at vehicles that were experiencing random openings and bounce-back openings, where they would reverse when the latch tried to fully lock the liftgate down.

Mine pauses and the finishes closing 80% of the time. The rest it will reverse and reopen.

If it is operating as designed, why does mine NOT pause any more when starting the vehicle (not once) and out of the 40+ closings, not once has it ever opened back up when starting after the TSB regardless of whether it is closed 95%, 90%, 80% 75% etc.

I thought the same at first until my SA and Service Manager, printed the TSB and read through it a few times and said it does pertain to this. They replaced all parts, added the rain guard and the above is how it now functions 100% of the time.

Maybe because your car is screwed up? :dunno:

I think blnsmoke is referring to this TSB posted by you VinceL

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=352175

TSBPage1.png

TSBPage2.png

TSBPage3.png

We did do this TSB on an MKX the other day. You could not even get the hatch to close and it popped back up again without even turning the key on. Have not tried mine to see if it opens if you turn the key on before it is closed or not.

It is true that if you jump in the vehicle and make the Liftgate move it could reverse back open. It will sense there is something blocking it. That would be normal and says so the Owner's manual.

I will report back after I try turning the key on before the hatch is down. Mine is after the build date in the TSB.

What he said. Why can't these guys spend a half-hour reading the owners manual?

I have confirmed that I can put the ignition on at any point of it closing and it closes completely without pausing. I will note it closes so fast I often am just getting into the vehicle to start it and it is completely closed already. I ran and jumped in as it was half way closed, started the vehicle and it finished closing without hesitating. Mine was built after the TSB, in June 2012.

LOL, I assumed it was probably the TSB I posted. After re-reading the manual, I noticed that it specifically states that if the car is started when the liftgate is near the latch it may cause the liftgate to reverse to full open position.

With those two key words highlighted, it is my understanding now that the liftgate might not reverse in every occasion, and that its behavior could be a bit unpredictable in these 'start while closing' situations. I am not sure why Ford chose to make this an iffy proposition (I'm sure it is just a CYA type of thing), as this unpredictable behavior could be construed as a defect of some sort.

At any rate.... blwnsmoke, I'm glad you're happy with the way your car is working :)

At one time I also thought it reversed. One time it started closing and I began driving before it locked and the gate reversed and opened. I think that was because of movement that it sensed? This was while I was leaving a parking spot in a small lot.
I just tested mine and found that if I start the Ex while the liftgate is closing, the gate will pause momentarily and then continue closing and locks.
Feb. 2011 build.

Peter

Thanks Peter. I never get to drive the Ex anymore (my wife keeps hogging it, not that I blame her), so I'm glad you could test it :)

Thanks Peter. I never get to drive the Ex anymore (my wife keeps hogging it, not that I blame her), so I'm glad you could test it :)
No problem Vince. You won't believe how many trips I've made to my garage to answer/confirm some of the posts.

Peter

No problem Vince. You won't believe how many trips I've made to my garage to answer/confirm some of the posts.

Peter

You should just setup a computer in the garage and spend your time in there. Save yourself a few trips.

At one time I also thought it reversed. One time it started closing and I began driving before it locked and the gate reversed and opened. I think that was because of movement that it sensed? This was while I was leaving a parking spot in a small lot.
I just tested mine and found that if I start the Ex while the liftgate is closing, the gate will pause momentarily and then continue closing and locks.
Feb. 2011 build.

Peter

Exactly what mine did until the TSB was performed except mine would open 1 out of every 3 times. Has to be about 80% closed or more and once the vehicle starts, it paused and reversed.

We now have both mine and Ron confirmed that after the TSB, they no longer pause and they no longer reverse.

Seems like a fix to me despite what the manual says is "normal".

Liftgate reverses

I found out the hard way that the liftgate can reverse when you try to start the car. I put something inside, hit the close button, entered the car and started the engine. Unfortunately I ended up backing out of my garage without knowing it had reversed and ruined the liftgate, fortunately not my garage as well. Still an expensive lesson.

I found out the hard way that the liftgate can reverse when you try to start the car. I put something inside, hit the close button, entered the car and started the engine. Unfortunately I ended up backing out of my garage without knowing it had reversed and ruined the liftgate, fortunately not my garage as well. Still an expensive lesson.
Welcome to the Forum ratrbfishn. :wavey:
It probably would have been cheaper to fix the garage door. ;)
I set the height on my liftgate so that it stops just below the garage door.
I also had the reversing thing happen once. Like you, I hit the button on the door, jumped in and began driving and noticed that the liftgate had reversed. I also tried it a few times at home without putting the Ex in gear and the liftgate did not reverse when I started the Ex but closed normally.
Good luck with the repair.

Peter

Get the TSB done and it will stop reversing when you go to start the vehicle. It has been 6 weeks and still not one pause or reverse when starting the vehicle since the fix

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Get the TSB done and it will stop reversing when you go to start the vehicle. It has been 6 weeks and still not one pause or reverse when starting the vehicle since the fix
Then, to be on the safe side, set the height on the liftgate so it won't hit the door. :)

Peter

Back