My liftgate is opening while driving. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

My liftgate is opening while driving.

Hi- not sure if this has been posted before. I looked around and couldn't find anything about it. I've had my Ford Explorer for 4 years now (it's a 2006) and over the last couple of months, the liftgate just opens by itself while I"m driving. We took it to the dealer and they couldn't find anything. However It's still happening. Anyone else experiencing this? Any ideas what's going on?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Do you use your keypad to unlock the car? I had this problem with mine, but I think it was because I was using the keypad and I opened the rear window and I couldn't understand why I kept finding it open, but I think that was the problem. I did buy it used, though, and it has some electrical tape wrapped around the hook on the window that latches onto the back door.

How does your Explorer warn you of an open door and is the warning functioning properly? Just trying to make sure that you didn't accidentally pop the glass open and then while driving it opened all the way.

liftgate opening while driving

mine is doing the exact same thing, and has been doing this for several months. first i get the annoying warning beep that tells me its about to open, then eventually it opens while i am driving. did you get yours fixed, and how? the dealer suggested replacing the latch. thanks!

I'm having the same exact problem on my 2006 exp. Does any one have a solution yet?

my latch was sticking in the open position till i began resetting the handle in the lock position by hand

mine is not fixed. it still opens all the time while i am driving. i have ducktaped the glass to the frame on the inside, so that at least it does not fully swing open, but it still unlatches and beeps incessantly to warn me of the open window. i haven't tried to get the latch fixed, just didn't want to spend the money at this point, but it drives me crazy.

I'm guessing the only thing we can do until we figure out what's wrong is to disconnect the electrical plug for the glass hatch latch so it wont be told to pop open.

I have a 2006 Ford Explorer and this just started happening to me also!! It is frustrating. I'm going to take it in to the dealer tomorrow and ask if there is any bulletin on this problem.

I have a 2006 Ford Explorer and this just started happening to me also!! It is frustrating. I'm going to take it in to the dealer tomorrow and ask if there is any bulletin on this problem.

I just checked alldatadiy and found no TSB on the subject.

I have not looked in to the problem yet. If you come up with some info please post it.

They found nothing!! I asked if there were any service bulletins issued yet and that said no. How would someone file a formal complaint with Ford - I agree this could be a dangerous situation.

They found nothing!! I asked if there were any service bulletins issued yet and that said no. How would someone file a formal complaint with Ford - I agree this could be a dangerous situation.

If the problem doesn't happen when the mechanic is investigating and there are no stored codes than every thing will seem normal.

I hope they didn't charge you for a diagnosis.

Thanks for taking it in and posting your results. I think at this point it is a matter of changing specific parts until the problem stops.

Thanks for taking it in and posting your results. I think at this point it is a matter of changing specific parts until the problem stops.

This used to happen to my 2002 Explorer. It was really weird having to pull over in downtown Indianapolis after my glass liftgate randomly opened.

It has been about a year since. My fix was lubricating the latch with lithium grease and locking the doors multiple times before driving. I think the latch was just sticking open.

I also had to use a razor to cut the latch hole a bit bigger because the hook on the liftgate glass did not mate perfectly with the hole in the trim plastic.

This used to happen to my 2002 Explorer. It was really weird having to pull over in downtown Indianapolis after my glass liftgate randomly opened.

It has been about a year since. My fix was lubricating the latch with lithium grease and locking the doors multiple times before driving. I think the latch was just sticking open.

I also had to use a razor to cut the latch hole a bit bigger because the hook on the liftgate glass did not mate perfectly with the hole in the trim plastic.

It wouldn't hurt to lube it. Unfortunately in my case I always confirm the latch is locked before I drive off. Some how power is getting to the latch while driving and causing it to unlock.

I've been having this problem with my glass (not the whole liftgate)! Does anybody have the real solution?

Just started having this issue with a 2006 Explorer EB. The glass on the liftgate is popping open while we are driving. There doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason as to when it happens.

Just wondering if anyone has found a solution to the problem, before I start taking the liftgate apart. - Thanks

My guess is a short in the wiring causing it to release, I don't think any one has found a solution to the problem. Let us know what you come up with.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

This is not on an explorer but it might be the same fix. My Great Grandpa had a focus wagon and his door would randomly pop open. I ended up finding that where the wiring goes from the door to the body of the car some of the wires had gotten rubbed raw. The wires would ground out and pop the rear hatch. So pull the rubber tube and check the wires and see if any are raw.

Back