When might we start hearing about the 2014 Explorer? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

When might we start hearing about the 2014 Explorer?

drober30

Reaction score
City, State
Grand Blanc, MI
Year, Model & Trim Level
2011 Limited 302A
My lease ends in 11 months and was hoping to choose between a great deal on a 2013 or some styling changes on a 2014.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I would expect to start seeing things about the 2014 in the late spring of 2013. So 11 months from now might be just about right. Then again, with the Explorer's release schedule being so screwy, who knows? lol.

I hadn't really thought about it, but since they have loaded it up with all of the goodies for the 2013, I wonder what the next round of upgrades/changes will bring? Then again, it could be one of those hold-over years, where the colors switch up, and not a lot else, especially if Lincoln gets in gear, I would see them taking the spotlight on vehicle releases and Ford go into a sort of maintenance mode while Lincoln gets to be the star of the show.

I did read an article where Ford is working on a perpendicular parking system where the car will park itself in a normal parking spot, not just parallel park. Maybe a switch-up in the engines too, slightly larger ecoboost as the base engine (I think the 2.3L has been talked about on other sites, similar horsepower, with better torque and mpg than the V6).

I just thought that the 4th year would bring a styling change but your right in the fact that the release schedule has been anything but normal on this vehicle.

The only other tech item that would really interest me is the ability to remote start the vehicle from a smart phone.

The heated steering wheel is already an option... Love that!

As for styling, other than new colors, maybe a refreshed grill or tail lights? Or maybe new wheel designs... all of the easy things.

As for styling, other than new colors, maybe a refreshed grill or tail lights? Or maybe new wheel designs... all of the easy things.
If I don't buy mine at lease end, I won't have to worry about it until March 2015. I agree with you that there likely won't be any major body changes for 5 or 6 model years.
I know that one reviewer didn't really like the way the tail lamps ended at the liftgate. Perhaps they might be extended onto the gate the way some other manufacturers have them.
I'm now at 9900.7 kms (6152.2 miles) Vince. Should hit the 10K km mark by the end of the month.:)
Created an account on Fuelly.com for 'Snowball' but it may take a while to get consistant stats since I'm only refuelling once a month or so just so that the remaining fuel doesn't get too stale in this heat.:D

Peter

If I don't buy mine at lease end, I won't have to worry about it until March 2015. I agree with you that there likely won't be any major body changes for 5 or 6 model years.
I know that one reviewer didn't really like the way the tail lamps ended at the liftgate. Perhaps they might be extended onto the gate the way some other manufacturers have them.
I'm now at 9900.7 kms (6152.2 miles) Vince. Should hit the 10K km mark by the end of the month.:)
Created an account on Fuelly.com for 'Snowball' but it may take a while to get consistant stats since I'm only refuelling once a month or so just so that the remaining fuel doesn't get too stale in this heat.:D

Peter

Snowball! Ha!! I love it :D

We are quickly approaching 7000 miles on ours. This car just eats up the miles!

I just read that the 2014 explorer will have a 365 hp with twin turbo and new wheels disign, and again a well upgraded mft. And will be release in sept, 2013.

I wouldn't get too excited over any big changes, only a couple new colors and adding a feature to the Limited.

I just read that the 2014 explorer will have a 365 hp with twin turbo and new wheels disign, and again a well upgraded mft. And will be release in sept, 2013.

That is the 2013 Explorer Sport, released in Sept 2012...

Saw a commercial for a brand I don't recall ....... Electronic parking brake ....... Interesting take on an old standard in cars.

As the article mentioned, the next major redesign may come in 2016 or 2017. That may be another consideration in deciding to buy mine out at lease end in March 2015. I could then wait and see what comes out and when and possibly then use it as a down payment on another Explorer lease. Decisions, decisions. :)

Peter

Saw a commercial for a brand I don't recall ....... Electronic parking brake ....... Interesting take on an old standard in cars.
I can't recall the model either but according to an article I read, the EPB was first introduced on the 2002 BMW 7 series and the 2003 Jaguar S as well as the 2003 Lincoln LS. The 2011 Subaru Legacy and 2011 Mustang also have them.
Just another electronic system to fail. I wonder if that means you will be unable to use the parking brake if your battery dies?

Peter

The only other tech item that would really interest me is the ability to remote start the vehicle from a smart phone.

I'll be even more pissed off if they release something like this before they release a working version of MFT.

Ditto^^^
I miss that from my Buick Enclave

Peterk9, i will be returning my explorer and getting the new one if it comes with the 365 twin turbo engine.

We need an Explorer Super Snake with 850 ponies!

What are you talking about? The 2013 Sport has this.
That is the issue. It is only available in the Sport, and not in the Limited model which he has and I assume will want again.

Peter

I would expect to start seeing things about the 2014 in the late spring of 2013. So 11 months from now might be just about right. Then again, with the Explorer's release schedule being so screwy, who knows? lol.

I hadn't really thought about it, but since they have loaded it up with all of the goodies for the 2013, I wonder what the next round of upgrades/changes will bring? Then again, it could be one of those hold-over years, where the colors switch up, and not a lot else, especially if Lincoln gets in gear, I would see them taking the spotlight on vehicle releases and Ford go into a sort of maintenance mode while Lincoln gets to be the star of the show.

I did read an article where Ford is working on a perpendicular parking system where the car will park itself in a normal parking spot, not just parallel park. Maybe a switch-up in the engines too, slightly larger ecoboost as the base engine (I think the 2.3L has been talked about on other sites, similar horsepower, with better torque and mpg than the V6).
How about this ........ http://www.wimp.com/carparking/

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Peterk9 you are correct i want it on the ltd explorer, i dont like the sport explorer its missing to many toys...!

Back