Power Stop rotors & pads kit Questions? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Power Stop rotors & pads kit Questions?

UncleGiggles

Reaction score
City, State
Richmond, KY
Year, Model & Trim Level
04 Explorer XLT 4x4 4.6V8
I did search on here and google to no avail. Here's the link to what I'm looking at:

http://www.buybrakes.com/p-849-power-stop-1-click-performance-brake-kit.aspx?submodel=XLT&submodel2=4.6L,%20V8&submodel3=4%20Wheel%20Drive

You'll notice as you scroll down that there are 2 different kits for all 4 wheels - K1924 and K2722. The description for each is exactly the same for both but different prices, so there's obviously a difference, but I have no way of telling what. It's a bit late in the afternoon to call and ask. I made sure to enter the specifics of my Ex (04 XLT 4.6L 4WD)

Anyone have an idea which one? Recommend any brake kits you own that are better?

Thanks in advance!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

That is odd that they show no real details on them to understand why there is a price difference.

Power Stop has two different kits. the regular kit and a towing kit. According to Power stops's web site the K2772 is the regular kit. I cannot find other kits part number on powerstops website so I assume that is the Extreme truck and tow kit. I have the regular Power Stop kit on all four corners for 15 months now. There is a little bit of brake squeak every now and again but all and all they have been really good.

Power Stop has two different kits. the regular kit and a towing kit. I have the regular Powre Stop kit on all four corners for 15 months now. There is a little bit of brake squeak every now and again but all and all they have been really good.

Good to know...Glad somone brought up at kit and hear that it's working well. I'll be looking at doing brake pads soon and this will save me some money as I wanted to switch to slotted and dimpled rotors a little later on, but might do it now.

Triton, the rotors even still look pretty good after going through a whole winter.

I really wanted to upgrade last year as I needed new brakes anyways. You can't beat the whole kit for the price. You almost can't buy a pair of front power slot rotors and Pads for what you pay for front and rear powerstop kits.

Power Stop has two different kits. the regular kit and a towing kit. According to Power stops's web site the K2772 is the regular kit. I cannot find other kits part number on powerstops website so I assume that is the Extreme truck and tow kit. I have the regular Power Stop kit on all four corners for 15 months now. There is a little bit of brake squeak every now and again but all and all they have been really good.
Spectacular answer, sir. I'm a little embarrassed I couldn't find that on my own actually, but turns out I accidentally google'd Power Slot instead of Power Stop :banghead: so no wonder I couldn't find the right part #'s. Also good to hear someone's had good experience with the regular kit.

Ordered :)

Spectacular answer, sir. I'm a little embarrassed I couldn't find that on my own actually, but turns out I accidentally google'd Power Slot instead of Power Stop :banghead: so no wonder I couldn't find the right part #'s. Also good to hear someone's had good experience with the regular kit.

Ordered :)

once install post you thoughts on them too.

i loved my power stop rotors and pads, i sugjest you use a different pad, mine had absolutely NO wear indicators, and after just two years were shot, and had ruined my rotors. Just a heads up. AMAZING stopping power, and were still clean to the day i took them off the rig.

i loved my power stop rotors and pads, i sugjest you use a different pad, mine had absolutely NO wear indicators, and after just two years were shot, and had ruined my rotors. Just a heads up. AMAZING stopping power, and were still clean to the day i took them off the rig.

Wait...you said the pads sucked and they ruined the rotors...so which part was "still clean" when you took them off? lol

lol i was thinking corosion wise. i had to beat the old rear rotors off with a hammer, these ones practicly fell off in my hands, great product! im just weary of their pads lol.

i went with EBC rotors and pads 3 years ago and i dont regret it...you guys should look into those... EBC 3GD Dimpled and Slotted rotors with green stuff pads...stop great and lasted

the site i go to is placeforbrakes.com best price out there

i went with EBC rotors and pads 3 years ago and i dont regret it...you guys should look into those... EBC 3GD Dimpled and Slotted rotors with green stuff pads...stop great and lasted

I did look at those and they were quite tempting, but I feel like I'm getting the better bargain with the set I got. Only time will tell if I was right. Either way it seems I will be happy. If I do run into trouble I'll get that set and give them a review.

I see them for the same price on autoanything, free shipping just like that site too.

I think a set of these will be my next mod. I plan on using the existing brake pads as they have a good amount of life left on them.

I see them for the same price on autoanything, free shipping just like that site too.

I think a set of these will be my next mod. I plan on using the existing brake pads as they have a good amount of life left on them.

Ronin using drilled rotors...of all people i thought you would see through their snake oil resemblence

Ronin using drilled rotors...of all people i thought you would see through their snake oil resemblence

They're not really drilled, just dimpled and slotted. Is it really all hype?

The Electrician was pretty impressed with the EBC sports, but I'm always open to hearing a dissenting opinion.

They're not really drilled, just dimpled and slotted. Is it really all hype?

The Electrician was pretty impressed with the EBC sports, but I'm always open to hearing a dissenting opinion.

i spent a solid two days on camaro forums and every discussion i read ended somehwere along the lines of if you're not on a track everyday then theres simply no need for slots or drilled holes to cool down rotors. and with powerslots, i also read that they wear down pads quicker, and anything beyon blank rotors are just driveway ornaments. I just bought Centric blanks and hawk hps pads for my camaro, so i guess i'll see how they stop

With slots or dimples, you have less pad to rotor contact, so i'm not sure how they will help you brake faster?

i spent a solid two days on camaro forums and every discussion i read ended somehwere along the lines of if you're not on a track everyday then theres simply no need for slots or drilled holes to cool down rotors. and with powerslots, i also read that they wear down pads quicker, and anything beyon blank rotors are just driveway ornaments. I just bought Centric blanks and hawk hps pads for my camaro, so i guess i'll see how they stop

With slots or dimples, you have less pad to rotor contact, so i'm not sure how they will help you brake faster?

Very good point. After you made your last post I did some reading and found some similar conclusions. I think part of The Electrician's favorable review of the EBC rotors comes from the fact that the 4th Gens use ABS traction control, which if you're offroading frequently with truetracs installed (like he is), can heat up the OEM rotors pretty quickly and lead to brake fade.

I'm not planning on doing any hard wheeling on this truck for a good while at least. That being the case, it seems the most cost effective solution for braking on a daily driver is to go with good quality replacement pads. For the 2008s it looks like ceramic pads are what OEM specifications list, FWIW. I am pretty sure my existing pads are that type, so I should leave well enough alone for now.

BTW thanks for saving me $500+ :D

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Very good point. After you made your last post I did some reading and found some similar conclusions. I think part of The Electrician's favorable review of the EBC rotors comes from the fact that the 4th Gens use ABS traction control, which if you're offroading frequently with truetracs installed (like he is), can heat up the OEM rotors pretty quickly and lead to brake fade.

I'm not planning on doing any hard wheeling on this truck for a good while at least. That being the case, it seems the most cost effective solution for braking on a daily driver is to go with good quality replacement pads. For the 2008s it looks like ceramic pads are what OEM specifications list, FWIW. I am pretty sure my existing pads are that type, so I should leave well enough alone for now.

BTW thanks for saving me $500+ :D

Now that you say that, i remember watching The Electricians off roading videos and there is a lot of braking involved in the AdvancedTrac, so in his case i think you're right saying he would have a higher need to cool his rotors quicker :thumbsup:

and Hawk HPS pads are FerroCarbon, which (from my understanding) is a step above Ceramic pads. Check them out before buying new pads

and don't mention it :D

Back