Motortrend likes MFT? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Motortrend likes MFT?

jrmexplorer

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2011 Limited
I found it interesting that sometimes it takes awhile for people to get used to things. For example, I believe it was MT or some other auto rag that slammed MFT, in essence, because it wasn't the dials and knobs they were used to.

Two years or so later and I was at the doctor's office this morning and paged through the new motortrend while waiting and found two seperate (and hidden) references to Sync/MFT. First, while discussing a new Cadillac, they talked about the Cadillac's new info-tainment system CUE. They thought it was OK (giving it a B). They said it was not very responsive and you would touch a button and then think it didn't register so you would press it again only to have the screen change and select an unwanted option (sound familiar?). They said it wasn't as good as Sync (I think they must mean MFT). If the CUE got a B, MFT apparently gets an A?

(Personally, I wouldn't give MFT an "A", more like a "C" (too flaky), which means the CUE is a "D?" (ouch).)

Then, while raving about the new Escape, they stated that all the testers loved MFT.

I think it is interesting to see how much a couple of years ( and a couple more auto manufacturers) changes perceptions.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Post upgrade, the MFT is an A- for the average user, like me.

I LOVE My Ford Touch! I have a 2013 that already had the upgraded software upon build. I tell everyone I know that it is a great system and even let them try it for fun.

Same here. Aside from all the buttons turning orange, MFT has operated perfectly. I love it. I'm not really finding anything of consequence to complain about with this vehicle. It's by far the best "feeling" vehicle I've ever owned. The ride, handeling, acceleration, breaking is on par with vehicles that I've driven that cost much much more.

I saw a video on YT done by MT on 2012 "SUVs". They had an EB Explorer that they just outright discredited and wouldn't "allow" it to continue in the shoot out. One of the "journalists" stated "no one likes My Ford Touch..." I stopped watching shortly there after. Not that I ever had a high opinion of MT to start with.

There are differences between MFT and Sync. They very well could have been referring to Sync.

And MFT is still a bug filled kludge. Maybe by version 6 they will get the voice commands fixed (why is it that you can say a station name and have it not be recognized, say CANCEL, hit the button again, say the station name again, and it works

The phone interface still has issues.

Testing - it's not overrated....

There are differences between MFT and Sync. They very well could have been referring to Sync.

And MFT is still a bug filled kludge. Maybe by version 6 they will get the voice commands fixed (why is it that you can say a station name and have it not be recognized, say CANCEL, hit the button again, say the station name again, and it works

The phone interface still has issues.

Testing - it's not overrated....

Yes, I know there is a difference between Sync and MFT. In the video, he specifically says MFT.

The Explorer starts at 4:55.

Your installation of MFT very well be a bug filled kludge. Mine is working perfectly. Voice commands are no problem, and my phone works as advertised. It boots up within a few seconds of starting, phone is paired a few seconds after that, and away I go. Operation of it there after is fine as well. Voice commands for accessing MP3s on a USB stick works fine.

The only "issue" I had was with all the buttons turning orange after I connected the USB stick. It hasn't happened since, I didn't pull any fuses or try a master reset. I have yet to see reboot on its own while in operation.

I've used both Sync Services, and Travel Link without any issue either. I've tried to crash MFT by switching quickly between functions and all the inputs repeatedly and often with outany success.

I can't and won't say that I'll never have a problem with it. It is a computer system, and with any type of technology there will eventually be issues. I work with avionics that cost 10 times as much as anything put in a "connected" vehicle that also have issues from time to time.

My Explorer may be one of the good ones, or perhaps I just have realistic expectations for what I have in Sync and MFT.

To address the phone interface, I've read a lot of threads here about different phones and issues with them. It appears it's more of an issue with the phone and how it hooks to Sync/MFT than an issue with Sync/MFT itself.

In this commercial video about new Escape showing MFT - is there a hint of things to come in new version of MFT "technology that can recognize your voice" at the 14-17 second range of video.

[Your installation of MFT very well be a bug filled kludge. Mine is working perfectly. Voice commands are no problem, and my phone works as advertised. It boots up within a few seconds of starting, phone is paired a few seconds after that, and away I go. Operation of it there after is fine as well. Voice commands for accessing MP3s on a USB stick works fine.

<clip>

The only "issue" I had was with all the buttons turning orange after I connected the USB stick. It hasn't happened since, I didn't pull any fuses or try a master reset. I have yet to see reboot on its own while in operation.

<clip>

To address the phone interface, I've read a lot of threads here about different phones and issues with them. It appears it's more of an issue with the phone and how it hooks to Sync/MFT than an issue with Sync/MFT itself.

The software is the software. There are not different installations for different vehicles.

And an iPhone is one of the most popular phones on the market. That they can't get the basic interface right for one of the most popular phones speaks volumes about the system and lack of testing before release.

If they are going to offer an option on their vehicles, it should work as advertised without significant repeatable errors.

The software is the software. There are not different installations for different vehicles.

And an iPhone is one of the most popular phones on the market. That they can't get the basic interface right for one of the most popular phones speaks volumes about the system and lack of testing before release.

If they are going to offer an option on their vehicles, it should work as advertised without significant repeatable errors.

Well, obviously there's something wrong with yours, where there isn't with mine. As I have previously stated, I've paired Android, iPhone and WP7 phones to Sync and MFT. The WP7 works the best from what -I- have tested. If you've been paying attention to the other threads about iPhones, the issues are with the iPhone's implementation of the MAP profile. Supposedly this is being addressed by Apple. You're placing the blame where it doesn't belong.

I find it funny that iPhone users try to use "the most popular..." meme when arguing why they can't use every feature of the phone while connecting to what is a universal system. Sync/MFT is designed to accept connections from many if not all manufacturers. Not everyone owns or wants to own an iPhone. If you've peen paying attention, you'd also know that Ford, and a few members here are actually working to get the iPhone to integrate properly with sync/MFT, not the other way around.

With Apple's propensity for adding and removing functionality at will within their products, staying inside their own walled garden or ecosystem and the fact that smart phone technology is constantly evolving it's a smart business decision as well as a product decision for Ford to remain open to all user bases rather than pacify a particular user base. In this instance, Apple users popular or not. When the rest of the industry is operating on a known set of standards, and the "outsider" (Apple) is operating on their own set of standards you end up with the problems you are seeing with your phone when attempting to integrate with the rest of us. I see very little complaining from the Android or WP user base in regards to Sync/MFT. Perhaps we're the ones now that can proclaim "it just works".
Perhaps Apple and Apple users should spend more time focusing on what's going on outside of the Apple garden, rather than making everyone else bend your way. Not everyone is interested in Apple's way of doing things.

I'm sorry you're having such problems with your vehicle and I hope they get worked out one way or another. The Explorer as a whole is an amazing vehicle.

I have an idea, how about Apple patch iOS so that it fully and reliably functions with MFT? Since they write the best software and build the best hardware, it should be easy for them. They can even consider a good-will measure to all of their dedicated customers.

Or here is a better idea, how about we set up a separate thread where all of the MFT *****ers and Apple whiners and Microsoft haters can go and duke it out all they want, and leave the rest of the threads clear of this endless (and ultimately pointless) debate?

Amen, Vince.

I have an idea, how about Apple patch iOS so that it fully and reliably functions with MFT? Since they write the best software and build the best hardware, it should be easy for them. They can even consider a good-will measure to all of their dedicated customers.

Or hear is a better idea, how about we set up a separate thread where all of the MFT *****ers and Apple whiners and Microsoft haters can go and duke it out all they want, and leave the rest of the threads clear of this endless (and ultimately pointless) debate?

My apologizes, Vince. :salute:

Back to the original topic...Motortrend lost my respect long ago, and have done little to regain it. It seems that when they, and other car mags, got online, the quality of their journalism took a dive. The internet moves a whole lot faster than a once a month printed volumes, and the publishers could not fully adapt. They now produce highspeed pulp to fill webpages instead of thoughtfully written articles.

Agreed, on all points.

Helicopter;3004868Well said:
[/COLOR]

I find it funny that iPhone users try to use "the most popular..." meme when arguing why they can't use every feature of the phone while connecting to what is a universal system. Sync/MFT is designed to accept connections from many if not all manufacturers. Not everyone owns or wants to own an iPhone. If you've peen paying attention, you'd also know that Ford, and a few members here are actually working to get the iPhone to integrate properly with sync/MFT, not the other way around.

With Apple's propensity for adding and removing functionality at will within their products, staying inside their own walled garden or ecosystem and the fact that smart phone technology is constantly evolving it's a smart business decision as well as a product decision for Ford to remain open to all user bases rather than pacify a particular user base. In this instance, Apple users popular or not. When the rest of the industry is operating on a known set of standards, and the "outsider" (Apple) is operating on their own set of standards you end up with the problems you are seeing with your phone when attempting to integrate with the rest of us. I see very little complaining from the Android or WP user base in regards to Sync/MFT. Perhaps we're the ones now that can proclaim "it just works".
Perhaps Apple and Apple users should spend more time focusing on what's going on outside of the Apple garden, rather than making everyone else bend your way. Not everyone is interested in Apple's way of doing things.

I'm sorry you're having such problems with your vehicle and I hope they get worked out one way or another. The Explorer as a whole is an amazing vehicle. [/FONT][/COLOR]
You are totally missing the point. Or you don't understand MFT. There is nothing wrong with my vehicle. There continues to be issues with MFT, even with this supposed fix.

I'm not an Apple lover or Windows hater. I have more Windows devices than Apple. And the fact that one of the most popular devices being sold today (not a meme, check sales facts) won't work with MFT is their problem, not Apple's.

And I'm not talking about things like being informed of texts, I'm talking about basic functionality like being able to walk to the car with my phone in use and have MFT not switching devices all the time. And check out the number of people who continue to have other problems with other devices.

The issue is that once again the software was inadequately tested. Or some of the continuing issues were found during testing and not addressed, which would be even worse.

The issue is that if you are going to offer a feature, that you sold to me without caveats, it should work. It doesn't, and I'm still not happy.

Do I like pretty much everything else about my Explorer? Yep. Just don't sell me an option for big $$ and have it continue to be less than functional every time I turn the switch.

Didn't mean to poke the hornet's nest (so to speak) with this thread. My only point was that when I first got my 2011, MotorTrend and the other auto-rags were dumping on My Ford Touch left and right and now two years later they have finally come around to accept touch screens in the cars and specifically Ford's MFT system. I remember them slamming it because they thought it was hard to use. Now they like it..... (at least what I read - the video seems to say otherwise).

For the record, I like the system in general, but I mark it down quite a bit for some extremely sloppy coding. It doesn't take much to tip it over the edge (so to speak) and see some spotty performance. Just add three wallpapers and delete the middle one in the list and you will see what I mean. It couldn't have been tested and have that bug! ;) Also my buttons periodically turn orange and then eventually the car resets itself because of that (usually overnight when I'm not in the car) and then once it comes back up, the buttons are fine, but the weather maps dont work until I reset it again.

i'm hoping that next release they tackle some of those issues and get this thing more stable.

I'm with dco43054 in a way - Ford has taken over 2 years to fix this thing and it still isn't what was promised.

I'm not angry though, I understand that sometimes early adopters have to deal with the bugs.

My MFT system is working just fine on my 2012 Limited Explorer.

Back