DVD installation headache!!!!! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

DVD installation headache!!!!!

Reaction score
City, State
N Cal
Year, Model & Trim Level
12 Explorer limited
So I know less than nothing about electronic stuff. So be warned but I would like to know if anyone has gotten better results than these.
So we had a Rosen Z10 overhead DVD player installed through the purchase. I was told that I could use the remote for the front seat. This is necessary since my oldest is not quite 4. The remote sucks and you have to hold it just so to even get it to work. So after some research we found a front seat parental IR. Does anyone have one??? The guy at the shop repeated 5 or 6 times how he has never ordered or needed this before, basically telling me I was the only dumb person in the world who needed to control the remote from the front seat (that cannot be so).
Then we are having MAJOR issues with the FM transmitter I get static while watching the movie 60-80% of the time. The same guy at the shop told me it will not be perfect, I cannot see how that is at all acceptable. He did say there is a modulator that can be installed but it will mess up the HD radio. Truly I do not care, I like the HD radio but with all the driving we do the DVD player is going most of the time. Does anyone have a modulator? Does it mess up HD radio? Has anyone hard wired a DVD system in using the USB or AV cable or something like that? Again I have no clue how this works it just seems like it should be better.
Sorry of the stream of consciousness hopefully it makes some sense.

I have installed my own overhead DVD player it is an audiovox from best buy. This was the first one I have ever tried to install. It was not to bad but very scary cutting the headliner just because the vehicle was so new. I also ran an audio cable (red and white) to the inputs for the car. This works very well all you have to do is push the button on the radio screen for it and you have crystal clear sound and never have to try to find a clear station for the fm modulator. My remote does not work well from the front seat but does in the back seat. I also have young children the oldest 3. I did not know of anything to fix that problem but it's not to much of an issue as the tv starts when vehicle starts if open and plays automatically. The only problem I have had and still has is I burnt the 2nd row led when I was testing my wires for the door switch. I have been looking on the Internet to find a replacement but seems like there are many different ones and I'm not sure which one I need.

I also ran an audio cable (red and white) to the inputs for the car. This works very well all you have to do is push the button on the radio screen for it and you have crystal clear sound and never have to try to find a clear station for the fm modulator.

This is very good to know! :thumbsup:

Back