5.4 swap 03 Mounty | Page 6 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

5.4 swap 03 Mounty

Hey, did you ever complete the swap and fix all the problems?

yeah, I put it back in, used all the same parts as the first time, and no issues. no lean conditions, no misfires or anything. Been running it as it is for about 8 months. I finally am beginning to trust it again, LOL. Still funny to see people's reactions when I launch it hard from a red light.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Still funny to see people's reactions when I launch it hard from a red light.

If you keep talking about it I'm going to get really tempted to do this swap.....

Great work man I've always wished they offered a 5.4 explorer...

yeah, I put it back in, used all the same parts as the first time, and no issues. no lean conditions, no misfires or anything. Been running it as it is for about 8 months. I finally am beginning to trust it again, LOL. Still funny to see people's reactions when I launch it hard from a red light.

That's awesome. Keep up the good work!
Btw, did you ever get pictures of it?

old thread, but wondering what intake you used? the stock truck intake? what did you do about the MAF air-inlet ducting?

Pics would be GREAT.

Rob

old thread, but wondering what intake you used? the stock truck intake? what did you do about the MAF air-inlet ducting?

Pics would be GREAT.

Rob

Never took pics, but I used the stock elbow/throttle setup from the mountaineer. bolts right on the 5.4 manifold as the flange is standard. used stock mountaineer, or mountaineer(explorer) spec parts for the intake side so fit was so close to perfect it didn't matter....

GottaBigBlock said:
Never took pics, but I used the stock elbow/throttle setup from the mountaineer. bolts right on the 5.4 manifold as the flange is standard. used stock mountaineer, or mountaineer(explorer) spec parts for the intake side so fit was so close to perfect it didn't matter....

Have you still got it? I'd love to see some pictures of it jammed in there.

Really not much to look at, just a little wider than stock(Like maybe an inch)...like I said when I did the swap I couldn't beleive how absolutely simple and easy it was. Looks like it grew there, the only thing I never bothered with was the big plastic cover for the top of the engine.....all I need to do is bolt on the brackets and It will snap back on like OEM.....

GottaBigBlock said:
Really not much to look at, just a little wider than stock(Like maybe an inch)...like I said when I did the swap I couldn't beleive how absolutely simple and easy it was. Looks like it grew there, the only thing I never bothered with was the big plastic cover for the top of the engine.....all I need to do is bolt on the brackets and It will snap back on like OEM.....

I'm currently shopping 5.4 2v & 4v around me to do this swap in my 03. Looks like I can get one (2v) for around 2K. I'm pretty confident it'll be an easy swap, but any specifics on the changes you had to make (sensors, electronics, intake to TB, exhaust, etc.) would really help with planning this swap. All I've read in here was what you had to change, and not how you did it. Been waiting on the "magazine-style write up" but haven't seen it yet. Also pics of how your intake fits and your headers/exhaust are routed would really help to clear up a lot of my confusion. Thanks!

I'm currently shopping 5.4 2v & 4v around me to do this swap in my 03. Looks like I can get one (2v) for around 2K. I'm pretty confident it'll be an easy swap, but any specifics on the changes you had to make (sensors, electronics, intake to TB, exhaust, etc.) would really help with planning this swap. All I've read in here was what you had to change, and not how you did it. Been waiting on the "magazine-style write up" but haven't seen it yet. Also pics of how your intake fits and your headers/exhaust are routed would really help to clear up a lot of my confusion. Thanks!

Yeah, the "magazine style" write up never happened- my ambition proved beyond my writing ability....the only real issue I faced was the exhaust y-pipe. so I cut the passenger side leg off about 4 inches from where they join, then once everything was fit I used a short(6" I think) flex pipe, cut it in( you will have to remove a piece of the pipe) to make the connection. I just bought the shortest piece the local parts store had. I will try to get a pic or two soon and put them up ........
Used 4" long flex from autozone, welded it in...this was LAST....

Yeah, the "magazine style" write up never happened- my ambition proved beyond my writing ability....the only real issue I faced was the exhaust y-pipe. so I cut the passenger side leg off about 4 inches from where they join, then once everything was fit I used a short(6" I think) flex pipe, cut it in( you will have to remove a piece of the pipe) to make the connection. I just bought the shortest piece the local parts store had. I will try to get a pic or two soon and put them up ........

If you could photograph and detail as much as possible it would really help me out with making my decision. I have a feeling my ex will be changing from my daily driver to just a toy very soon..... :)

So... if I understand correctly I will be OK to use all of the factory 4.6 electronics, MAF, and computer tune? The only thing that will need to be done is some minor fab to the y pipe/exhaust.

I am getting ready to do this same swap, my 4.6 gave up the ghost last night (been symptoms for a while), and just want to make sure and have everything I need when I get started.

I have a 460 in my 02' pics coming soon! lol sorry, had to

I just got done talking to GottaBigBlock on the phone...seems like a great guy. I asked him in detail what needed to be done and he told me the following:

He used the 4.6 throttle body/intake elbow
swapped all front accessories from the 4.6 to the 5.4
Used the 4.6 manifolds and the y pipe
Cut the left leg of the y pipe and used approximately a 4" section of flex pipe to join the y pipe to the factory exhaust (real simple operation)

He used all the other 5.4 parts including injectors/fuel rail/ and intake manifold. He used the stock 4.6 ecu with a stock tune and has been running it like this for 2 years of daily driving duty (with some towing and a few drag strip launches). He estimates that he has between 30K and 40K miles on the swap and everything is great.

I was thinking I could be incorrect on hi using the 4.6 manifolds and Y pipe. He may have used the 4.6 manifolds and the 5.4 y pipe... I will ask him later today or tomorrow.

are you a 4x4 rig? i was wondering if all of the plumbing matched up ok, i know when i went to a mustang intake manifold i needed to make a few custom changes. and how does the oil pan fit next to the differential? Room for headers maybe?

are you a 4x4 rig? i was wondering if all of the plumbing matched up ok, i know when i went to a mustang intake manifold i needed to make a few custom changes. and how does the oil pan fit next to the differential? Room for headers maybe?

It's AWD....no room for headers......I am going to show how little I still know about this engine family......mine had the black plastic intake manifold that looked almost identical to the one I already had. I used the elbow from the 4.6 ( from the plastic manifold up). The coolant and fuel lines(and emissions, vac, etc) all hooked right up as best I can recall.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You should make a youtube video of it launching and accelerating WOT from both inside and outside the vehicle.

Back