What's next for MFT? | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

What's next for MFT?

My understanding that a modem signal over a voice connection is used. That allows full functionality for ALL phones, whether basic, feature, or smart, and all manufacturers. By using such an old standard, nobody with a cell phone would be left out. It may not be fast, but it is a simple, and should be reliable, method to connect the masses, regardless of technology level.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

1 - find your destination on Google / MapQest
2 - choose "Send" then "car"
3 - enter the phone # you have registered at SyncMyRide
4 - Go to the Exploder, start the car, wait for your phone to pair
5 - Voice command "services"
6 - once Sync dials and connects, you'll be alerted that you have a destination to download.
7 - Answer "yes", about 15 - 20 seconds later the destination appears on your NAV screen. You can either start the directions to get there, or save it in your favorites for later use.

I've used it a bunch of times, it's pretty quick and painless. One of the more really helpful and useful features of this system.

I used it today and what a slick system. I was looking for a resturaunt for lunch so I looked it up online and sent it off to my ex. In some respects this solves the lack of POIs in the database and is really easy to use. Everyday I like my Ex more and more -- Awesome.

...And i believe that function is only available on the desktop version of Google and MapQuest. It is not available on the mobile (Phone) version which I found to be disappointing.....

UNLESS

And this is for android phones only, you download the free "Send to Car" Android app. It is Slick. Search on "Android Send to car" and you'll get the developers site which will explain how to use it. Then download from the market.

I also believe you can only have one destination in Queue at a time. It's not too painful, but if i want to send multiple addresses, I just send and download and save to favorites, and the select and send another, etc etc

...And i believe that function is only available on the desktop version of Google and MapQuest. It is not available on the mobile (Phone) version which I found to be disappointing.....

UNLESS

And this is for android phones only, you download the free "Send to Car" Android app. It is Slick. Search on "Android Send to car" and you'll get the developers site which will explain how to use it. Then download from the market.

I also believe you can only have one destination in Queue at a time. It's not too painful, but if i want to send multiple addresses, I just send and download and save to favorites, and the select and send another, etc etc

I never thought about using my phone to do that. So I just tried it with MapQuest. I'm using a WP7.5 and the mobile version of IE. It has an option to set for either mobile versions of websites or the normal desktop version. I tried the mobile version of MapQuest first, no option for "Send". I switched the mode to "desktop" version of MapQuest. Pulled up an address, and did the whole procedure... IT WORKED!!! :) See if there’s an option on your phone for either viewing mobile sites or the normal desktop version.

UNLESS

Are you talking about the Sync Destinations app from Ford or a completely different app? I use the Ford App when I need to send an address to my Explorer when I'm traveling.

Nope. A completely diff app. I don't particularly care for Ford's Destinations app. The one I mentioned will add new features to your Google Maps app...it will give you the ability to "Share" a location with your Explorer.

Desktop versions of Google maps allow you to send locations to your car. The mobile version does not have that ability. It used to, but has since been removed (Rumor has it, mobile carriers didnt want it. They want you to use their fee based routing apps. Whether true or not, i cant say). This app will return the feature to mobile Google Maps

Hi everyone!

I just wanted to stop in and let you all know Google Maps will no longer send maps to your SYNC systems. You'll have to use MapQuest for this feature. That also means the Send To Car app will no longer work since it uses Google Maps; you'll still be able to use our SYNC Destinations app.

Let me know if you have any questions!

Rebecca

Hi everyone!

I just wanted to stop in and let you all know Google Maps will no longer send maps to your SYNC systems. You'll have to use MapQuest for this feature. That also means the Send To Car app will no longer work since it uses Google Maps; you'll still be able to use our SYNC Destinations app.

Let me know if you have any questions!

Rebecca

Just one question. Why?????? MapQuest is such an inferior product.

Alz i can say is my ADD ON functionality application STILL has the option to 'Send to Car' via google maps. I used it just a few days ago and it still works. As i said the option is still available as of this posting. I have not however gone to my car to see if i can 'pull' it down. But again, it worked a few days ago.

more details here: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.jvanier.android.sendtocar&hl=en

And this is for Android phones

Downloaded the app and tried this...Ford is no longer on the list, just like Rebecca said . We had used this function on Google Maps on the web in the past and it was great. Guess I'll have to give MapQuest a try. My Garmin's not even on the list :-(
-Toddy

Darn... thanks for update. I really liked that feature.

Wow. Send to car was extremely handy.

Thanks Ford - this thread was about ADDING features and you've taken a really useful one away...

Wow. Send to car was extremely handy.

Thanks Ford - this thread was about ADDING features and you've taken a really useful one away...

You must know something the rest of us don't. So quick to accuse Ford, maybe Google is the one no longer allowing it?

How 'bout allowing the use of the sync destination app while moving. It would be a huge plus as putting in a destination via voice command can be somewhat difficult and passenger/wife would be able to route us much faster.

You must know something the rest of us don't. So quick to accuse Ford, maybe Google is the one no longer allowing it?

Yeah, no kidding Vince.

Could it have something to do with money? Did MapQuest give Ford a cheaper deal?

Look what happened with Nav maps. Had a good supplier, switched, then switch back. It ended up costing them. I guess they think it's a minor change and not that high up on customer preferences.
So I assume Sync turn by turn is now Mapquest.

I have Nav so all I download is address. Nav plots directions from SD card. Don't have to rely on MapQuest for actual directions.

Oh Well, it is what it is.

Rebecca,
Upon installing the most recent update, I expressed my family's displeasure at Ford's decision to place wallpapers permanently behind controls. This to me makes wallpapers rather pointless as any pic is now 1/2 covered. Is Ford working on making this configurable in the future (choose wallpaper in front or behind controls)? Thanks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Go back to the Android app again. Believe the developer has a work around as of Aug 5th (...see how long it lasts before the lawyers get involved)

Back