Noob question about fob | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Noob question about fob

bdander

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 Eddie Bauer AWD
So I got my 97 explorer without a wireless fob. I was under the impression that it featured fob and remote entry. I know the 98+ models have it, but I am curious if mine does as well. And if it does do I need a special pad since all the ones on ebay say 98+? I have tried reprogramming the car to accept the new ones I bought but it doesn't take. Once again sorry for the noob question but I couldn't find an answer by searching.

-BA

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Some have them, some do not. I had a 95 with it, along with a 97, and now a 98 that doesn't.

There is a box under the dash that is the component to the Anti theft/ Vehicle Entry system that some come with that have the Remote Access. I can not recall the box identification to be exact, but would suggest searching here for it on some threads.

When it came to figuring out whether I had it or not, I would just go to the dealership and order the Remote and ask them to program it. All together it was well under $50, but I was only charged if the Explorer had the remote system.

Okay, I was just under the impression that since I have an EB it would have the remote access. But it is entirely possible that it wouldn't. I will check with the dealership Saturday when I get my alignment.

I think all EBs had remote entry. Do you have a keypad on the door?? If yes, definitely have remote entry. Dealer is expense way to solve this. You can buy fobs on ebay for $10 or so; and the owner's manual has instructions for mating remote to vehicle. It's pretty easy. Most folks think that you are "programing the remote" but that's not really true. What you are doing is training the vehicle to recognize that particular remote. Good luck.

Keypad on the door makes it definate yes. The key FOB on the 98+ will not work cause of PATS, its a whole different system. You'll have to find an old style FOB, I found mine in a junk yard out of a 95 Tbird.

Sent from my crap Sidekick using Forum Runner

Keypad on the door makes it definate yes. The key FOB on the 98+ will not work cause of PATS, its a whole different system. You'll have to find an old style FOB, I found mine in a junk yard out of a 95 Tbird.

Okay, that's what I was looking for. I bought 2 from ebay and they didn't work. I couldn't find anything. Thank you and I will see how much Ford will charge. Otherwise I maybe dumpster diving.

-BA

I got lucky and found mine at a junk yard. First time I ever found a fob there.

Back