• Register Today It's free!

2004 cruise control

sk

Reaction score
City, State
ocala, fl
Year, Model & Trim Level
96 xlt
Anyone have any idea what could be wrong with my cruise control on my 2004 Explorer? It work sporatically. When I turn a corner (mostly to the left but not always) it stops working. On occasion, I can turn the vehicle off as I am driving and then start it again and normally it works again. Guess it resets or something. This does not always work tho.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I would start by checking your brake fluid.

Plenty of brake fluid.

Since it is affected by steering wheel position, and the cruise on/off swith is on the steering wheel, I would check the wiring and connector under the steering wheel horn/airbag. It comes off with just a couple of screws. Disconnect battery and wait 10 minutes before you work on this for airbag considerations.

When I turn a corner (mostly to the left but not always) it stops working. On occasion, I can turn the vehicle off as I am driving and then start it again and normally it works again. Guess it resets or something. This does not always work tho.

You're turning corners with your CC on? What speeds are we talking about here?

Are you stopped when you turn the vehicle off?

It might be the brake fluid pressure sensor on the master cylinder. Its function is to disengage the cruise control when the brakes are applied. Ford has a TSB out for this as many of these switches have gone bad. You can get a replacement kit at any ford dealer for $20. The cruise in my 2002 Explorer was working sporadically at first and then stopped altogether. I replaced the pressure sensor switch on the master cylinder and it has worked perfectly fine ever since. Here is a photo of the switch location on a 2002 Explorer:

brakepressureswitch.jpg

Eddie, I had been told about this before and checked it out but my truck doesn't have one of these that I can find. In fact, this is the same pic I had seen before and I can't find anything on the MC that looks even close to this.
D Hook, no....I am not turning corners with the cc on but quite often when the cc is on and I have to stop for a red light or traffic or apply the brake in order to turn and then turn the corner (usually to the left) it stops working when I re-engauge it. Then, when I make a turn to the right and try to engauge it again it usually works. As to your other question....No, I am not parked when I turn the truck off. I am on the Innerstate and just put it in neutral, turn the engine off for a few seconds, start it up again, put it back in gear and turn the cruise on again. More often than not, it works then.

Eddie, I had been told about this before and checked it out but my truck doesn't have one of these that I can find. In fact, this is the same pic I had seen before and I can't find anything on the MC that looks even close to this.

The later model year 3rd generation Explorers has a different setup than the picture shows but they do have the same sensor and it has the same problem. Here is the swith location on an '05 Explorer:

jrf90z.jpg

Back