Explorer A-Pillar Rattle/Noise | Page 50 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Explorer A-Pillar Rattle/Noise

Cory, had mine done already and the buzzing was heard on my drive home from the dealer...
I hear ya, my glove box is back rattling again...
gpzrider & Spengracin,

I want to see this taken care of once and for all; I still have your details, so please send me a PM with your current mileage and I’ll arrange a follow-up call.

I was offered a stall in the service bay with my name on it:mad:
cnsheets,

I see that the last time you picked up your Explorer you were happy with the repair; has anything changed?

Cory

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Check loose roof rack caps for noise

I posted here a few months ago thinking that my buzz-rattle was a-pillar related. While looking for things around the windshield trim that could vibrate, I noticed that the driver-side front roof rack cap was loose. As a temporay fix I stuck a small piece of plastic in the gap that allowed it too move. No more buzz or rattle. It is now fixed. I suggest you look at this if your problems persist after working on the a-pillar fix.

My dealership just replaced the roof racks in our 2011 as the diagnosed rattle.

...The A pillar noise in mine was fixed recently...My dealer is Campbell Ford in Ottawa and they have been great...The only problem they can't seem to fix is the "Terrain Management Fault"...
Dannyinottawa,

I’m glad to see your dealer took care of you. Have you tried calling the Ford of Canada Customer Relationship Centre @ 1-800-565-3673 for the fault?

...I visited my dealer last week about the bluetooth noise being so bad. They attributed it to the a-pillar wind noise, and told me to bring it in this week and they would replace them...
Have you been to the dealer for this, UCFGreg? I have your Explorer’s details so for me to help, drop a line via PM with your current mileage.

...just tell your dealer that there is a TSB for the issue and that your vehicle is experiencing the problem...that's all I had to do and they ordered the parts based on that. I'm getting them both replaced this Friday...
Awesome recommendation, HughCares. :thumbsup: I know it’s been a while since you wrote the post, but how did your visit go? :)

Thanks, Hugh. I'll give it a try.

This was simple.
soloxx,

I see you spoke with your regional Customer Service Manager since this was posted; I wanted to check in to be sure you’re not having a concern.

...I'm not sure if you are aware or not but there is a thread in the Stock 2011 - 2013 Ford Explorer Discussion forum called 2011 & 2012 Ford Explorer TSB's which lists the known TSB's for our Explorers...
Peter,

Thanks a bunch for taking the time to help!

I posted here a few months ago thinking that my buzz-rattle was a-pillar related. While looking for things around the windshield trim that could vibrate, I noticed that the driver-side front roof rack cap was loose. As a temporay fix I stuck a small piece of plastic in the gap that allowed it too move. No more buzz or rattle...
rudylyon57,

I’m sorry I missed your post; I suggest removing your VIN because it’s personal info you might not want to publicly broadcast. Have you considered a dealer visit for a permanent fix? I have your VIN, so drop me a line via PM (with your contact info, mileage, and dealer details), and I’ll lend a hand.

My dealership just replaced the roof racks in our 2011 as the diagnosed rattle.
Thanks a bunch for sharing, BobbyTony; I’m glad you got it taken care of!

Cory

windshield Buzz.....

I have a high speed buzz coming from the windshield area which is really annoying and this is on a 2013 limited model with 4,000 miles on it......may be dealership bound soon....

Ford Explorer wind noise

I have never been more disappointed in a new car purchase than I am with Ford. It sounded like a wind tunnel when I talked on the phone, and I would constantly hear wind inside the cabin. It was louder at higher speeds. I took it back to the dealership several times and they kept saying they fixed it. I would take it home and it would do the same thing. I asked to trade it for another new Explorer, but since I had put miles on mine (and it takes them so long to even get it in), they would not consider it. I ended up trading the piece of **** off for another vehicle and took one hell of a hit. I can tell you one thing for sure, I will never ever buy a Ford again and would not recommend a Ford to anyone. The main reason is that in the end, the Ford Dealership did not stand behind their product and when an issue rose, they ran for cover. When someone pays $38,000.00 for a product, it should do what it is supposed to do. Goodbye Ford!!! Scott Gaddis

ex in shop A pillar issue

took the ex back in to have the A pillar issue fixed again... the TSB repair for this didnt work....... LOVE the car but driving on the interstate for a period of time this noise gets annoying......

we will see what happens.....

welp got it back............. and this one didnt work either

Trade it in for a 2013!

I have never been more disappointed in a new car purchase than I am with Ford. It sounded like a wind tunnel when I talked on the phone, and I would constantly hear wind inside the cabin. It was louder at higher speeds. I took it back to the dealership several times and they kept saying they fixed it. I would take it home and it would do the same thing. I asked to trade it for another new Explorer, but since I had put miles on mine (and it takes them so long to even get it in), they would not consider it. I ended up trading the piece of **** off for another vehicle and took one hell of a hit. I can tell you one thing for sure, I will never ever buy a Ford again and would not recommend a Ford to anyone. The main reason is that in the end, the Ford Dealership did not stand behind their product and when an issue rose, they ran for cover. When someone pays $38,000.00 for a product, it should do what it is supposed to do. Goodbye Ford!!! Scott Gaddis
It seems to be all about the dealer, did you try another one? I have absolutely no problem recommending my Explorer to anyone. Dealer service has so far been A1. It seems a little odd to me that anyone would get rid of their vehicle due to a 'wind noise' while on the phone. How much time does one need to spend on the phone while driving anyway?
I've never had that reported problem with mine. Could it be that it is picking up noise from the A/C or heater?
Good luck Scott.

Peter

In case you missed it, there is already an extensive thread on this topic. There is really no need to add this other one. It would be much easier to have all the info on this in one thread. Although it says 2011 Explorer, problems with more recent ones are also posted there.

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=306488

Peter

I'm just about at the same point and of the same opinion as you over Fords
concern for the paint issue on our new 2013 XLT E-Boost.....Plum

take it to a new dealer. That is one of the few things on my car that was actually fixed properly.

In case you missed it, there is already an extensive thread on this topic. There is really no need to add this other one. It would be much easier to have all the info on this in one thread. Although it says 2011 Explorer, problems with more recent ones are also posted there.

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=306488

Peter

yes could be..... but this one is my issue... move it if needs to be.....

Same thing with my ex but after two weeks at the dealer and extensive road testing they say the vibration / buzzing is coming from the engine cowling. They determined it vibrates with greater frequency in windy conditions. Waiting for parts now. A pillar fix did not cure it initially.

...LOVE the car but driving on the interstate for a period of time this noise gets annoying...
I see you’ve already sent me a PM, DR.J; please expect a reply in the next day or two.

...Waiting for parts now. A pillar fix did not cure it initially.
I made sure Mark will call you by the end of the day, gpzrider.

Cory

Thanks Cory, but no need for another call from Mark. Spoke to him couple days ago and he's on top of it. Waiting for Ford tech to arrive at dealer to assist with toxic smell diagnosis and repair.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

My guys at south bay ford think they found the culprit. Apparently they taped down the long plastic piece that runs below the front windshield and the noise went away. Replaced it, now for road test tomorrow.

Back