pull motor to clean oil pickup or no? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

pull motor to clean oil pickup or no?

roy13

Reaction score
have a 02 explorer 4.6 i bought to fix.the cam caps were shot so im assuming it lost oil psi somehow somewhere. got some some other heads an gasket set an timing kit ready to put in but my fatherinlaw(mechanic) says i should pull motor an clean oil pick up screen as he thinks its clogged.. should i do this or throw the other heads an timing kit in it an button it back up..i really dont want to pull the motor or drop the front end to clean that screen is this a have to thing?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

anyone? would it hurt just finish up the motor an run some seafoam threw it? i also read were the heads have to small of oil ports so maybe thats what got clogged?any suggestions, opinons????

If there is junk in the pan or pickup screen, you will kick yourself later for not doing the extra work now.

If there is junk in the pan or pickup screen, you will kick yourself later for not doing the extra work now.

Truer words are seldom spoken.

Engine does not have to be pulled to get to the pickup tube, just drop the oil pan. Is it 2wd or 4wd? It is much easier with 2wd. The pickup tube can easily be cleaned from underneath.

However, if cam caps were shot, I suspect that isn't your only problem. Before I did anything else, I would check the main bearings. It is likely they are bad. You would see a lot of metal in the oil pan. If it isn't immediately obvious when you drop the pan, then pull the rod caps off and take a look at the bearings and the crankshaft. If all is fine, replace the bearings and get new rod bolts when you put it back together.

i seen were u have to drop the whole front end to get oil pan off would it not be alot easyier to pull motor?

Neither scenario is easy. But yes, you will kick yourself if you don't do it. Dropping the front end at least wouldn't require an engine hoist.

The heads can be done in the truck, so that shouldn't be a factor in your decision. If you have access to a hoist, and you have the patience to properly line up the engine and trans while not banging into the mounts and everything else, then pulling the motor is a good option. Allows for some cleanup as well.

I'd rather take the suspension down than pull the engine. Just me. It's a good time to check and replace worn suspension parts also.

I don't think it needs to come "all the way" apart, but you will need to get the steering rack out of the way.

ive never delt with suspension parts ive sucssfully built 2 motors a 4.7 a th infamous 5.0 but couldnt tell ya what do about suspension what all needs to be dropped from suspension ? i guess i need to take a crawl under it an check it out

If you have experience with motor building, and are suspecting a low oil pressure problem, I would suggest pulling the motor and giving it a good check out. I would also suggest if there is metal in the pan to strip the engine and have the block and heads cleaned. It is no fun to replace bearings and have junk in the oil passages that trashes them out in a short time. (Yes, I did this 1 time and learned my lesson.)

i dropped front end took 1 hour that includes jacking it up securing it everything ,,the pick up screen was deffently clogged with burnt oil an plastick chunks from the timing guide start putting it together tommorow .. also have the heads off pistons looks good an there was little to none metal in oil pan just timing guide pieces...the oil screen got clogged an couldnt put oil to the top of the motor....

Back