IAC Valve | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

IAC Valve

cabo8243

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Explorer XLT 4.6 V8
I bought a 2002 Explorer and I'm having idle problems. I took it into a reputable place and they told me the IAC valve was bad. I replaced it myself but the truck actually ran worse than before; it would idle rough then when I would go above 2k RPM's, it would rev higher by itself then slowly come back down to a rough idle after a few seconds. I put the old one back in and it ran "better/normal."

I'm wondering if there is something I don't know about. I undid the battery but maybe it wasn't long enough for the computer to reset? Any advice is highly appreciated.

2002 Explorer XLT 4.6 V8

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Where did you get the valve? Many/most after market ones don't work very well.

Just bought a Duralast, same exact problem as described. Very frustrating.

I had problems with teh duralast ones. I got a motorcraft one and it was better. 13 months later, the motorcraft one is going again. I am fed up with the crap. Everytime it is the same thing. It gets hot out and the longer I drive the truck the higher the idle speed gets.

go to the junkyard find an Explorer just like yours that was in an accident , take the one off it,
the reason i say find one in an accident, is than you know it was okay as the vehicle was being driven at the time, so it must have worked ,

I found another thread of owners who had the exact same problem. I went to Ford and bought the valve made by Motorcraft for almost $200. It seems to be working fine, probably better. If it acts up, I will re-post.

I am reserving judgement of my motorcraft IAC. My battery suddenly (but not surprisingly it was 10 years old and original to the truck) died today. I am going to give it a few days to see how it goes, maybe the battery going kaput was doing something electrically.

Well, the battery was not the problem so I replaced the motorcraft one with a Borg Warner one. We will see what happens over the next few days.

Back