Could not find answer in owner's guide | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Could not find answer in owner's guide

dbwoods101

Reaction score
City, State
Baytown, TX
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 Exlporer Limited
I did a quick search here but couldn't find what I was looking for (also not exactly what key words might have gotten me the best results) so hopefully someone might be able help me. I had my wife drop me off at the airport the other day and forgot I had the key in my pocket, she was able to drive off and called me about 15 minutes later that the warning message had popped up in the display panel that there was no key detected however the vehicle continued to run (fortunately at this point). She was able to return back to the airport where I gave her the key. I thought if the vehicle did not detect a key it would kill the ignition. Am I mistaken? I am just wanting to make sure before I head up to the dealer and don't know what I am talking about.

Thanks for any help offered.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Will run without the key present, but will not START again after stop button pushed without key present.

dbwoods101, your wife should have gotten the "no key" warning the second you set foot out of the car. I leave my car running while I run into, say, 7-Eleven to grab something all the time. The "no key" warning comes up immediately.

When you go to the dealer, make sure they confirm the warning is working correctly and that this was a situation where your wife didn't notice the warning rather than the system failing.

Also, if your wife had turned the car off, she would have had 20 (I think) seconds to restart it without the key. A little message pops up in the left hand screen letting you know. Tested it once and it works. It is a feature on the car, and I assume it is for safety reasons.

Thanks for the help to all. I am willing to bet she just may not have noticed it. It is certainly something I can test.

I guess I was just under the impression that it would be similar to the remote start function where if you attempted to put into gear with no key present the engine would die. Sort of an anti-theft measure.

My friend has a BMW with keyless entry and it works the same way, the vehicle continues to run without the key present. I believe it's a fail safe, should the key fail to be detected for some reason you would not want the vehicle to turn off at an inopertune time.

Thanks for the help to all. I am willing to bet she just may not have noticed it. It is certainly something I can test...
Welcome to the forum, dbwoods101! The section explaining this is “Starting and Stopping the Engine” on page 207 of the 2013MY Explorer Owner Guide 1st Printing:

“The fast restart feature allows you to restart your vehicle within 20 seconds of switching the vehicle off, if a valid passive key is not present. Apply the brake pedal and press the start button for up to 20 seconds. After 20 seconds have expired, you can no longer start your vehicle without the passive key present inside the vehicle.

Once the vehicle has started, the vehicle will remain running until being turned off by the start button, even if the passive key is no longer found in the vehicle. Whenever a door is opened and then closed while the vehicle is running, the system will search for a passive key inside the vehicle. If the passive key is no longer present in the vehicle, you will not be able to restart your vehicle outside of the fast restart time.

Your vehicle may have remote start capability. Refer to Remote start in the Keys and Remote Control chapter.”

The digital version of the Owner Guide is easier to search. :) Download a free copy here:

http://Owner.Ford.com/servlet/ContentServer?pagename=Owner/Page/OwnerGuidePage

Will run without the key present, but will not START again after stop button pushed without key present.
dbwoods101, your wife should have gotten the "no key" warning the second you set foot out of the car...
Also, if your wife had turned the car off, she would have had 20 (I think) seconds to restart it without the key...
...I believe it's a fail safe, should the key fail to be detected for some reason you would not want the vehicle to turn off at an inopertune time.
RonJrSVCMGR, baxterdown, VinceL, & onaropus,

Thanks for everyone helping out! :D

Be a proud “Tech Geek!” Wear the badge:

http://www.Social.Ford.com/grab-a-badge/tech+geek/

Cory

Once again thanks to all. Thanks for the page # that outlines it. I had looked under the section on the keys and remote starting and didn't see the starting stopping section. I have now downloaded the guide so thanks for that link too. Appreciate all of the explanations on the feature as now it makes sense as to they way it is functioning as well.

Once again thanks to all. Thanks for the page # that outlines it. I had looked under the section on the keys and remote starting and didn't see the starting stopping section. I have now downloaded the guide so thanks for that link too. Appreciate all of the explanations on the feature as now it makes sense as to they way it is functioning as well.
You’re very welcome, dbwoods101! Searching a digital copy of the Owner Guide is much easier than flipping through the hard copy. Technology for the win! :D

Cory

Back